Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kryslin's lScripts

Here we go....
    BiasComb 1.1
    biascomb.zip
    -The only real change is to the algorithm used to generate the bias vector. Much Closer to Sasquatch's quick combing, now (which was the entire point of this exercise in vector masochism). Bias Vectors no longer point inside the vertex normal, and no longer get flipped around when the brushing point is below the surface point. Which way the bias vector points vertically is now determined by comparing the y components of the normal and bias vector, and the dot product of the brushing vector and normal. Still a dog, runs slow, working on speed improvements. I'll get the improved map generation options in later.

BooleanCut 1.0
    BooleanCut.zip
    -After watching the Box Cutter Demo for Blender, I noticed that LW didn't have a tool for interesecting a sub volume out of another volume. The result is this.
    1) Have your primary volume in the foreground layer, and the volume you want to intersect in the background layer.
    2) Run Script
    3) Done.

It's very rough, but it works. Next Iteration will deal with some more stringent checking (making sure that there are objects in each layer), and adding a morph map to keep things from being re-merged at later steps...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

hi Kryslin
    Thanks for working on this - I'm still using the first version - did have a problem with putting feathers on a bird wing as the feathers would always point vertically down of the the lower surface - I corrected this by inverting the model and running the script again and then combining the two map, bit awkward but worked in the end.

I look forward to testing new script. just working on a meerKat - I used the old script for this - but will redo it with 1.1 and post a comparison.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MeerKat_Male.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	138488
    "one rig to rule them all"
    PC Spec: Intel i7 X980 3.33GHz | 24Gb | ATI FirePro V5800 | W7
    https://vimeo.com/kevbarnes/showreel
    https://littlstar.com/kevbarnes
    https://www.talenthouse.com/kevbarnes

For (large) feathers you'd probably be better off using modeled shafts instead of procedural fur; The way it's set up, as a vertex normal approaches <0,-1,0>, the blend strength with the bias vector is lessened. For fur, this works OK, though I can think of a few instances this shouldn't be happening. Looks like I need another option in the UI...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Yes box cutter is great on Blender. I also have HardOps, DecalMachine, some more things that blender has got that i wish we had in LW. Of course you can do these things in other ways with normal LW, but these are quick little time savers.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

BooleanCut
    wouldn't this be the same as SolidDrill/Stencil ?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I wouldn't know; I've never had much luck getting the Drill/Solid Drill stuff to work right... Usually getting a message stating "Modeler has become unstable, save your work and restart..."

Anyway (having just tried the above, without crashing modeler), Boolean cut creates a volume, not a polygon. It both cuts the space out of the foreground object, and intersects the background object with a copy of the foreground object. It was my solution to some of the things the guy demo-ing Box Cutter in Blender was doing that either native booleans or LWCAD booleans couldn't do.

It gives you an object that you can manipulate, round the edges, take other cuts out of, etc. I thought it was a neat little fire-and-forget tool, that came together really quick. Worked first time, too.
    Last edited by Kryslin; 11-08-2017 at 11:00 PM.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

...And I just added the morph map on the intersected geometry, so that it doesn't merge points when pasting and mirroring. The name is no_merge_xxxxx, x being a random number from 0....32767.

I'll update the zip and post it here.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

Bias Comb is about to get updated; I'm going to add the option to use a weight map to selectively control the strength of combing; I came across a situation where I just need fibers pointing out along the normal, but can't blend between the smoothed normal and the bias normal because FFX 18 HAS NO NODAL INTERFACE. Grrr. So, I'll be diving into that mess again.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

A Crazy Question... Do python Scripts execute faster than lscripts?

I'm thinking of converting QuickComb over to Python if it does execute faster. I'm also thinking about change how I compute a "vertex normal"; Right now, I use a loop within a loop; on a 60K vertex mesh, this can take a while (240,000 iterations)...

The pulldown for use selected weightmap / fixed blend strength is in place, I'll be testing during the week.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

no idea if no one answers however, copy the question here >
    http://forums.newtek.com/forumdispla...thon-Scripting
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

With the advent of 2018, fiberfx is now usable for me. To that end, I am paying attention to your offerings.

Wow, you have some really much needed, I'm-amazed-they-are-free, thank you, golly gee stuff here.

Sensei dropped the ball on his hair stuff; yours fill the gap nicely. EasySpline is THE BEST.

Bias comb gives me a clear indication that sas can be dead as others are stepping up. Ha, I hope to see Joe Alter come back. It ain't all about money any more for him, or so I hope.

Very nice tool.

My one feature request would be the same as the one I've seen: use parts instead of surfaces as surfaces have a different need/purpose.
    Thank you, immensely.

Robert

p.s., Python is faster, particularly since lscript is to be deprecated. (Think I read that right.) As well, for 2018, it's tied into the sdk, fully. Worth your time for us for you to invest some time with converting your wonderful tools, yes.
    Last edited by UnCommonGrafx; 01-30-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Robert : Working on it. With Lino and Matt posting code snippets for how to set a part name, and how to read a part name, it's do-able. Selecting by part might be problematic, but do-able.

Right now, getting weight mapped blending working correctly... Ned tufts of fur in you CG cat's ears? Using a weight map for comb strength will allow some hair to stick out along the normal, but others to be combed. Also working on a method of generating a vertex normal where I'm not looping through every polygon associated with every point... My acid test, DAZ 3D's Melody, has some 56K vertices, times an average of 4 polys per vertex... Lots of looping going on.

P.S. : I'll gladly take donations and tips, as soon as I figure out how to set up a Paypal tip jar on my non-existent webpage in my webspace.
    Last edited by Kryslin; 01-30-2018 at 07:41 PM.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

How might I be using the tool wrong?
    Trying to comb a model but I am getting,
    "Line 65, invalid argument 3 type to ctlpopup() (did you misspell the variable name?)"

Now I don't recall needing to type a variable name so I am thoroughly perplexed.

Thanks,
    Robert

Ok, let's see if I can figure out where things are going wrong...

The line in question is the surface to comb away from popup, and both the array and the index are initialized prior to the requester being displayed.
    Do you have more than one foreground layer, possibly? The tool can behave in odd ways when more than one foreground layer is present, and I really need to make sure about that.

If worst comes to worst, Attach the model in a PM, and I'll what's going on.

BTW, the message is for the programmer, not the user.
    Last edited by Kryslin; 02-02-2018 at 11:55 PM.
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave

This morn I tried it again.
    This time, I picked most all the items available in the list. It worked.

So, for the moment, I am once again enamored of this tool.
    Now, trying to figure out guides and their use with bias combing.

Thanks for the note; it spurred a thought.
    Robert

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast