Thread: ISO a great 1080p camera for a small green screen studio

Exec Producer TV Webinars

Smile ISO a great 1080p camera for a small green screen studio

Hi everyone!

For my initial live stream, green-screen setup I have been using a Canon VIXIA HD camcorder. But now that I have the green-screen lighting set up properly, and I'm not blazing tons of lights on the talent, my impression is that this camera's optics are being challenged, the shot is not as high-quality as I expected, especially when using software zoom the image is starting to fall apart.

My green-screen studio area is small, about 9'x11' and I'm streaming full-length presenters.

I'm ready to invest a bit more in a really good studio 1080p camera that can shoot in portrait or landscape mode.

Suggestions? Hints? Camera to offer?

Thanks so much as always,

Lance
    Lance ("L.A.") Simon
    [email protected]
    (240) 810-2065

TC460, Advanced Edition V2, NDI Transmit, VSE-AE, LiveText
    Panasonic AW-HE120, Canon XF-305, Canon VIXIA HF G40

My question exactly. Please, the TC1 had me at "talkshow included;" but, the cameras, now, that's another question....

Exec Producer TV Webinars
    I am selling one of my Panasonic PTZ cameras (black), barely used, great condition:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-AW.../182554744872?
    Lance ("L.A.") Simon
    [email protected]
    (240) 810-2065

TC460, Advanced Edition V2, NDI Transmit, VSE-AE, LiveText
    Panasonic AW-HE120, Canon XF-305, Canon VIXIA HF G40

Budget? And for video, why is portrait mode required? Square peg =/= round hole.

HD camcorder that shoots "portrait mode"? I think it fair to say, it doesn't exist. Cell phones do it. Professional cameras don't because the video they shoot is meant for TVs that are 16:9 with "landscape" orientation. The lens and image sensor are all engineered for landscape/widescreen image acquisition. Turn the camera sideways if you want to shoot Portrait, and I do understand why you'd want that for green screen.

Thanks

Jeff

We went with Sony PXW-X70 they look really good, even going into an HDMI Converter out to Component when I use one on our T40.
    Just get a Tripod head that you can flip sideways.

Don't get a PTZ, you can't flip them sideways, right Lance?
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Quote Originally Posted by lance.a.simon View Post
    Hi everyone!

For my initial live stream, green-screen setup I have been using a Canon VIXIA HD camcorder. But now that I have the green-screen lighting set up properly, and I'm not blazing tons of lights on the talent, my impression is that this camera's optics are being challenged, the shot is not as high-quality as I expected, especially when using software zoom the image is starting to fall apart.

My green-screen studio area is small, about 9'x11' and I'm streaming full-length presenters.

I'm ready to invest a bit more in a really good studio 1080p camera that can shoot in portrait or landscape mode.

Suggestions? Hints? Camera to offer?

Thanks so much as always,

Lance
    It sounds like you're aiming for the DSLR market when you're talking about "portrait and landscape" modes. In which case there are plenty of good options from Sony, Canon, and Panasonic depending on budget and workflow.

If you're only thinking about using inside the tricaster environment, identify a few other important factors such as color science, sensor size, and things like if you want interchangeable lenses or just a straight all in one camcorder first.

Then if you need "portrait" mode in the tricaster workflow, I'd suggest just using your edges tool and adjust your lighting as needed.