Thread: ISO PTZ camera for TC460 that can shoot PORTRAIT mode

Exec Producer TV Webinars

ISO PTZ camera for TC460 that can shoot PORTRAIT mode

Greetings,

For those at NAB (and those not)... for my little green-screen studio, in order to get full-length talent shots, I need a PTZ camera that can shoot either normal landscape or PORTRAIT mode! The Panasonic PTZs are great BUT they cannot be turned or configured to shoot portrait mode.

Help please!

Thanks so much as always,

Lance
    Lance ("L.A.") Simon
    [email protected]
    (240) 810-2065

TC460, Advanced Edition V2, NDI Transmit, VSE-AE, LiveText
    Panasonic AW-HE120, Canon XF-305, Canon VIXIA HF G40

Hi Lance,

I don't follow...as with any video camera, you simply turn the PTZ camera sideways, meaning the base would be vertical, such as mounted to a wall rather than ceiling. Should be able to accomplish this with most tripods as well. No video camera has a "portrait" mode, you just re-orient the camera. In the ME, you then rotate the image 90 degrees to get the talent upright again.

Thanks

Jeff

I'm guessing most off-the-shelf PTZ cameras won't operate properly on their side because I'm sure the pan mechanism isn't designed to fight gravity. You might need a more robust robotic camera mount with a standard camera mounted sideways.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

Yes it seems simple and I thought it would be but the Panasonic AW-HE120 PTZs do not support it! Here's the note I got back from Panasonic:

------

Lance,

Sorry it’s not possible to output a portrait view via the menus. The picture can only be flipped for upside down mounting. And unfortunately I don’t recommend mounting it on its side.

Regards,

Cliff

Panasonic Professional Video and Broadcast products support
    Panasonic System Communications Company of North America
    Unit of Panasonic Corporation of North America

- - - Updated - - -

"You might need a more robust robotic camera mount with a standard camera mounted sideways."

OK -- any suggestions?
    Lance ("L.A.") Simon
    [email protected]
    (240) 810-2065

Good point about the motorized functions not liking a sideways mount, however for green screen shooting for Virtual Set, camera is stationary (once set) so I don't see a big issue. In my experience though, PTZ cameras don't output the best image for keying, better off with a regular video camcorder anyways where you have more control over camera settings (and better image potentially).

Thanks

Jeff

I agree, a PTZ will not be the best answer here. Sideways mounting will possibly invalidate the warranty on the units.

Most greenscreen stuff is lockdown, so a more conventional camera may be the best overall solution, even if not the most convenient.
    Tricaster 460
    HD-SDI over coax
    JVC 890 x 2
    Panasonic 370 x 1

For that much money not only should it work sideways, be good for keying, it should also paint your house!
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Yup! So I just set up one of my Canon VIXIA HF-G40 HD camcorders on it's side and you are correct -- got that beautiful PORTRAIT image I need. For some reason I was fixated on the PTZs.

THANKS AS ALWAYS. What an amazing community this is, you folks have saved my butt about 20 times (so far)!

:Lance
    Lance ("L.A.") Simon
    [email protected]
    (240) 810-2065

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar
    This brings me back to when we used this tecnique to make our SD camera into "HD". We were also shooting against a green screen but 720x480 mounted at 90 degrees gave us a 480x720 image. Perfect for 720p video! Suddenly our SD cameras were giving us great HD output (OK, not full HD, but this was 10+ years ago).
    Now you could do the same with a 1080p camera and put the images into 4K productions and have them look somewhat decent.

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE3 + Mini 4K
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, PTZ1, Multiple Spark & Bird Dog converters
    reddogrecords.com