Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 246

Thread: Modo 11 going rental?

  1. #1
    Super Member samurai_x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    lalaland
    Posts
    1,231

    Modo 11 going rental?



    https://community.foundry.com/discus...iption-options


    Glad there's still lightwave which hopefully stays with perpetual license.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    376
    Whoa! That guy looks like his creativity is being UNLESHED!

  3. #3
    As long as it is just "with subscription options" I don't think any one will be that upset, it's when they go the autodesk way (sub. only) people get pissed.

    Rob made a promise in an interview a few years ago that it would never happen with LW, but people promise things all the time so you never know for sure.
    LightWave 2015.3 - Fantasy web comic: http://rustandmagic.se https://www.facebook.com/rustandmagic57/
    "I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar" (Charlie Starr - Blackberry Smoke)

  4. #4
    Carbon fibre dongleŽ 50one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Honeycomb hideout
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by magiclight View Post
    As long as it is just "with subscription options" I don't think any one will be that upset, it's when they go the autodesk way (sub. only) people get pissed.

    Rob made a promise in an interview a few years ago that it would never happen with LW, but people promise things all the time so you never know for sure.

    And so did Brad promis couple of things...but since preety much all of the old MODO team is gone it's time for some corporate tactics.

  5. #5
    the real kicker will be when you have to rent your computer too, I mean you rent you internet you rent you software, probably even rent your training, how long can it be ?

  6. #6
    Super Member samurai_x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    lalaland
    Posts
    1,231
    Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    And so did Brad promis couple of things...but since preety much all of the old MODO team is gone it's time for some corporate tactics.
    Two main Modo guys quit this year. The document guy and the modo indie dev.
    Not a good sign.

  7. #7
    = : >--[: ]===
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Dutch Mountains
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    the real kicker will be when you have to rent your computer too, I mean you rent you internet you rent you software, probably even rent your training, how long can it be ?
    Women can be rented since ages, so why not computers and software. And then to think all the prejudices people have about "renting"

    (... and for the female species in here: men can be rented too )
    Last edited by trick; 04-20-2017 at 04:59 AM.
    Your FIRST impression NEVER gets a SECOND chance !!!!

  8. #8
    One day we'll be renting our lives and body parts. "How many more years of living can you afford? IQ180 brain 25% off. This week only."

  9. #9
    Renting only makes sense for professionals who can write it into their running costs, and it can even be cost effective. But it's a terrible option for the hobbyist or I'd rather you the term enthusiast. By all means keep it optional, I can't see the downside to that for the company, well I guess I can actually since the goal is to keep the customer paying and always engaged.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by trick View Post
    Women can be rented since ages, so why not computers and software. And then to think all the prejudices people have about "renting"

    (... and for the female species in here: men can be rented too )
    No, men are still free to be used by women. But, I do hear Autodesk is working on changing that....

  11. #11
    Carbon fibre dongleŽ 50one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Honeycomb hideout
    Posts
    2,384
    Quote Originally Posted by art View Post
    One day we'll be renting our lives and body parts. "How many more years of living can you afford? IQ180 brain 25% off. This week only."
    I'm with you on that mate.

    I refuse most stuff that's rental only, that's why I'm actually moving away from CG to something else
    .

    Mortgage, Car finance, internet, netflix, tv licence, spotify, software, gear rental for some the lost goes on.

    What does it mean to 'own' something these days?

  12. #12
    Registered User ianr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chiltern Riviera
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    I'm with you on that mate.

    I refuse most stuff that's rental only, that's why I'm actually moving away from CG to something else
    .

    Mortgage, Car finance, internet, netflix, tv licence, spotify, software, gear rental for some the lost goes on.

    What does it mean to 'own' something these days?

    No No 50-1 It's Cyber Fluid World fully of glassy illusions, what is CGI but Smoke'n'mirrors

    To own something is Contraband or your a retarded pirate with a backward hoarding life style

    that's the image the moneziters wish to program into the gullible global nomad. Hell even hire-a wife.com.

    Christ, where is Keenu Reeves in his long black coat to sort this future mess out when U need him?

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    1,449
    It is just someone trolling, until they say anything.. I'll ignore it. On the other hand.. it could be them testing peoples reaction to the idea.

  14. #14
    the real kicker will be when you have to rent your computer too, I mean you rent you internet you rent you software, probably even rent your training, how long can it be ?
    A lot of companies are already doing it ( https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/ ) and I guess some people do it here also when they use a render farm, but yes, so far it is still optional

    Look at John Deere ( https://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-o...ip-john-deere/ ) and GM is going down that path also.
    Last edited by magiclight; 04-20-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    LightWave 2015.3 - Fantasy web comic: http://rustandmagic.se https://www.facebook.com/rustandmagic57/
    "I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar" (Charlie Starr - Blackberry Smoke)

  15. #15
    Registered User Schwyhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Tulsa OK
    Posts
    443
    I'm glad I moved over to Lightwave, but I'm sad this is becoming the reality.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •