Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LW Next naming - 2018?

LW Next naming - 2018?

I guess with 3DS Max 2018 being released - http://www.autodesk.com/products/3ds-max/features- we most likely will see Lightwave Next being called Lightwave 2018. I think it was silly for NT to go the year naming route and I hope they call LW Next - Lightwave 13! Yeah Lightwave 13, now that is noteworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    I guess with 3DS Max 2018 being released - http://www.autodesk.com/products/3ds-max/features- we most likely will see Lightwave Next being called Lightwave 2018. I think it was silly for NT to go the year naming route and I hope they call LW Next - Lightwave 13! Yeah Lightwave 13, now that is noteworthy.
    My thought as well -- lucky 13! Leave the "year" naming to the annual rental products.

It's just a version number to identify between releases, don't put too much weight on it!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It's just a version number to identify between releases, don't put too much weight on it!
    It is not "just a version number" anymore, indeed. It has lost its primary function to become a sort of version number under marketing influence.
    Its implementation a version preceding a huge and long code rework was an even worse decision.
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Call it as you like, but take it out!

Yeah, no, it's just a number. It could be LightWave Cucumber.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Yeah, no, it's just a number. It could be LightWave Cucumber.
    Works for me, then LightWave Tomato
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

I was...Despite my avatar status, not fond of using lw 9-10 or 11.5 etc, and I was one of those suggesting they should change and follow along with the naming convention others have, such as lw 2017..why?
    Because it is easier to identify when it was released and says way more of how old or new it is, and you will be able to connect each release with features much easier and even compare notes to other software by simply going for the year Naming.

The problem here seem to be the release date, if the lightwave team had released their software early this year...not much fuzz would it?
    mid 2017...could still work, late year..then it becomes a question of re-branding the name to 2018 before 2018 is already there as the year of release, and I think that is what some companies does.
    Any Rental or non rental connection to the naming convention is quite irrelevant in my opinion.

if we follow along with version number only, we will still reach 2017 ..some day though it will take a bit longer than the current Lw 2015 release to the next upcoming release...I think.

so if we would have lightwave 12, what would that bring to the table when trying to figure out when it was released and what it would have in features.?..a version number only is a poor indicator for most people except for a hard core version number lightwave fan.

The whole 2015/16/17/20 whatever implies to some people a release yearly as many other companies do, indeed some release before the actual year. I dont care about the number its really just an identifier. If the next LW is 2017/2018 or next i care not a jot as long as its as stable as possible, i prize this far more than the date or name.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Lightwave Avatos.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

First it was 2016, then 2017, now we are talking about LW 2018. Do i hear any 2019 yet? Right now im just hoping this comes out in my lifetime. i really wish they would get on it, i could have less than 50 years left.

"OH NO!", Joseph Joestar ncr100's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lightwave "mr. Splashy pants" 2017.1
    -Nick
    audio: Ö ¤ wk Py

Lightwave 13 please. The year has too many implication/expectations, expectations, a small company like LW3DG cannot meet. Keep it simple, don't try to be autodesk, just make the best software you can, and add one number to each major release. This should be 13.

2020 has a nice ring to it, but bad implications....

LightWeight Under 20
    Last edited by MarcusM; 04-15-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast