Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Holy cow modeling in medium is incredible

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    yes, I remember in the late 80s, early 90s when VR headsets first came to the arcades etc, was everywhere on TV, then all of a sudden, dead. and funny enough, the tech does not look much different, so has it really advanced that much to be a game changer in over 25 years?
    Attachment 136514Attachment 136515
    Yeah, The Boxes Are Cheaper & the frame rate up. Headresses are Neater.

But I don't call 'Neuromancer' Yet, It does seem like a Second dose of Snake-Oil.

BTW. I still got my Atari Power- Glove for Haptic feedback somewhere in the Loft!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NES-Power-Glove.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	136518

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    BTW. I still got my Atari Power- Glove for Haptic feedback somewhere in the Loft!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NES-Power-Glove.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	136518
    You know, stop-motion animators can use Power Gloves as remote devices to record and check frames. IIRC, one of the Robot Chicken guys hacked his up: it looked DAMN convenient.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    You know, stop-motion animators can use Power Gloves as remote devices to record and check frames. IIRC, one of the Robot Chicken guys hacked his up: it looked DAMN convenient.
    Just looked it up
    https://vimeo.com/116585007

Very cool!

One have to ask some things, like...

1. Does the vr provide a better view of your model..and is that so immensly superior to a simple viewport view in standard sculpting software? and if so..what gain does such view provide over standard sculpting software?
    2. Does the VR provide a better navigation..than simple mouse/space navigator/tablet ...or does the vr navigation actually relies on more larger movements with hands and fingers that are way more tiresome than simple mouse controls for changing view navigation?
    3. Does the VR provide a better brush tool and input for the sculpted area than standard sculping software?
    4. Does the VR provide a better resolution and shading than the standard sculpting software?

Those are some of the main questions I think nails down why you should pick the one above the other, if thereīs too many noīs on the VR side, I wouldnīt bother investing in vr for modeling/sculpting.
    For getting in to games or investigating environments to just feel like you are there ...that is another thing though, and it wonīt comprimise a modeling or sculpting session.

1. a. Yes, and no. high polycounts tend to choke VR, as well as complex shaders and lighting. On the other hand, the model is there with you. So it is much easier to see errors in it, rotating it is much more intuitive and like I keep repeating, the sense of scale is very accurate.

1. b. Interactivity with the model is much more natural, but the tools are not all there yet.

2. Brushes are not as varied as in zbrush, but the input is definitely better.

3. resolution is not as simple as in the flat world, you can look all around you, so you would need a huge monitor with incredible resolution to pull that off, on the other hand the thing your eyes are looking is not as sharp or as "high res" as in a decent monitor. Your graphics card power and headset resolution play roles in this but it's not as straight forward, if you use a higher resolution headset (they are being sold) you'll just stress the videocard even more. In a nutshell, it's adequate but not as good as it could be.

I did not invest on the Vive for modeling (yes there are sculpting apps for the Vive) and I haven't used the modeling capabilities for work (yet) but I am sure that this will be viable pretty soon when the software catches up.

I've used some form of every VR generation. The dual screen visor for the SNES and Genesis, the Arcade standup systems, the Virtual Boy and a few others.
    I owned the original Oculus dev edition and came to a similar conclusion as the previous attempts. Gimmicky, clunky, works okay but doesn't add much to the existing game experience. I was good for a few hours before getting woozy but my coworker got sick after 5 minutes.

I recently tried the latest Oculus Rift at a store demo with the new hand grips as well. Man, what a difference! The original was jittery, would start to drift off axis and the resolution was low. The Rift was rock solid, never lost sync with my direction, there was no shake at all and the hand grips work flawlessly. The resolution is now high enough as to not draw your focus. I tried the rock climbing game which includes some pretty twitchy moves toward the end. You have to hold onto this ledge, pull yourself hard enough to sling your body to the next ledge and then grab it with the other hand because its too far... well too far for my wingspan. It was cool too. I could tell that I missed the first attempt, like not a system glitch I just missed, but nailed it the second time.

If you tried earlier versions of the Oculus it might be a good time to try the Rift, it really has come a long way. And this is from someone who tried it and wasn't impressed the first time.

Now onto the sculpting, the newest grips are pretty precise. If they keep getting more and more tactile (I'm sure they will with the money getting thrown at it) and if Pixo releases a VR version of ZBrush, I'm all over that.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    IMO Oculus is a rather b.s. company: VIVE has been much more businesslike and interesting to me. I much prefer their "vibe" to Oculus.

VIVE/HTC meets deadlines, and didn't have a very sketchy front-man.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    You obviously need more time with 3dcoat and zbrushl. Lol.
    Mythbusted!
    In terms of actually a natural feeling of sculpting, I think that Sculptris is superior to both Zbrush AND 3d Coat. The first time I tried sculpting in Sculptris I thought to myself "oh, man! I'm actually sculpting how I want to sculpt!" And this is all using a standard mouse and laptop screen. Sculptris has only three flaws: 1) It can crash at unexpected moments (although there is a auto save to back you up so you get your model back when you start up again) 2) The brush can sometimes 'shrink' to zero on some parts of the mesh meaning you can't sculpt 3) They could have added more tools (not all, though) from Zbrush that could have made this tool ultra awesome.

In regards to VR, I have serious concerns in relation to health especially since the head and brain are very sensitive electrical areas of the body. But I won't get into that as I'm sure that it may ruin the flow of the thread.

I have my own idea or a 3d modelling program which allowed sculpting but which also mixed CAD-like modelling for hard surfaces. If LW Next fixes the edge weighting tools then it will be a boon to hard edge modelling.

Cheers,
    Revanto
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Check out my friend's OLD Youtube tutorials
    Mix Mash's tutes

Quote Originally Posted by wyattharris View Post
    .... and if Pixo releases a VR version of ZBrush, I'm all over that.
    I'm expecting it to happen.
    Video and Animation Auteur

Dillion do you wear glasses? Do you have eye insurance in your company? Its part of an annual benefit for employees working in computer related jobs.

Myopia epidemic is real. An increase of more than 50% in global population in the 1st world countries are affected. Where smartphones, tablets and computer related work are prevalent. They are even introducing bluefilters in monitors not just smartphones now.

By the time these people are 40 and above they will have retinal damage and cataracts. And at age 40 and above people have trouble seeing near objects and can't read bottle labels, etc. Double whammy.

People should not wear led screens 3-4 inches away from the eyes for more than 2 hours a day.
    I'm not against virtual reality experience. I'm against the method of delivery.

^ Yes. Well said.

Hey, maybe the office walls, floors, and ceilings will be like one giant OLED monitor before long... then VR will be doable for 8-10 hours a day. Though, that may still make folks bat-sh*t crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post

Thanks Jeric, I might dust it off, U gonna a link to that? Please

Quote Originally Posted by Revanto View Post
    In terms of actually a natural feeling of sculpting, I think that Sculptris is superior to both Zbrush AND 3d Coat. The first time I tried sculpting in Sculptris I thought to myself "oh, man! I'm actually sculpting how I want to sculpt!" And this is all using a standard mouse and laptop screen. Sculptris has only three flaws: 1) It can crash at unexpected moments (although there is a auto save to back you up so you get your model back when you start up again) 2) The brush can sometimes 'shrink' to zero on some parts of the mesh meaning you can't sculpt 3) They could have added more tools (not all, though) from Zbrush that could have made this tool ultra awesome.

In regards to VR, I have serious concerns in relation to health especially since the head and brain are very sensitive electrical areas of the body. But I won't get into that as I'm sure that it may ruin the flow of the thread.

I have my own idea or a 3d modelling program which allowed sculpting but which also mixed CAD-like modelling for hard surfaces. If LW Next fixes the edge weighting tools then it will be a boon to hard edge modelling.

Cheers,
    Revanto

He...I havenīt hardly used sculptris since I got in to messing with sculpting in blender, so for me..Yes, blender feels more natural, partly the shading with matcap and ambient occlusion, the brush clay types, and the dynamic topo feels better.

It's a nice start. It's insanely exciting. One of these days, it'll basically be Zbrush.

Works great in the Vive, too. (Yay for reVive, making good on the promise Oculus didn't keep).
    Mark Hennessy-Barrett
    www.imaginetix.co.uk
    www.shaxam.com
    ...and then I was on fire.

In the modern working environment, the VR guy is doomed to be the guy who has his pens stolen, kick me signs attached to his back and his coffee substituted with warm vinegar.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast