Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy cow modeling in medium is incredible

Holy cow modeling in medium is incredible

Just as I suspected ... I finally had the chance to buy the Rift with Touch today. Installed without any glitches, and was soon sculpting in Medium.

This is the future, my friends. I have always struggled to model using the mouse/keyboard and 2D screen. But now that I can manipulate and paint in 3D while holding my model, it's just liberating. There's so many possibilities now.

I'm assuming LW3D Group knows this already. God, I hope so.
    Video and Animation Auteur

it wont take off in a production environment so I doubt they would bother as that's where things like lightwave are aimed, even short term effects of using VR for majority of people can have bad vision effects, headaches etc, if you used it 12 hours a day every day in production you would end up suffering migranes and al sorts, there are many calls for long term research into already as the side effects could be more serious than first thought, I know loads of people that cant even wear normal 3d glasses due to disorientation etc so Vr is bound to go the same way as 3D as the masses just will not be able to cope, I think the hollo lens is the only on that could have stand a chance as that's more a augmented, but even that seems to have stagnated right at the start,
    VR is the same as motion control, 3D, ETC ETC, its just a Fad and not for the masses,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

VR is only good for short sessions.
    They dont really pay you at work for short sessions.

3d movies is also on the decline. Who else is doing it other than cameron?

Hiya!

Never heard of it. Just watched the video on the Occulus site. It's...."cute".

...call me when they have gloves that let me use my fingers to push, pull, and sculpt like clay...and they have a 'workshop' that has specialized 3DVR tools hanging on the walls and sitting on benches so that if I want to add an Edge Loop, I can pick up the "Edge Loop Pen", place the tip on the model, see the edge loop on my model, then click my pointer finger and thumb on my other hand to insert it. Until then, I'll stick with ye olde rodent and letter-board.
    ^_^

Paul L. Ming

=2x Xeon E5-2699v4, Asus Z10PE-D8WS, 128GB ECCDDR4 2400, 1x FirePro W9100 32gb, Samsung M.2 960 PRO 2TB, SB ZxR, 2x BENQ Zowie 27", Dell Ultrasharp U3417W, Cintiq 27" QHD Touch=

Having played a few games on my GearVR, I have to agree.
    After 20-30 mins I have to stop, it really messes with your senses (unlike the old days of playing Halo for hours and hours on a tv screen).

I can understand the need for research into the long term effects this may have (especially kids playing PSVR all day).

We all remember the Lawnmower Man.

Personally I use my Rift with LW Ubercam to view 360 render stills.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

hopefully they will get glasses-free cinemas soon, Cameron talked about this 3 years ago, haven't heard anything since... :/
    maybe Cinema3D can kick it... > http://news.mit.edu/2016/glasses-fre...ger-scale-0725

oh... > Avatar 3 glasses-free ?
    http://www.slashfilm.com/glasses-free-3d-avatar-sequels
    Last edited by erikals; 04-09-2017 at 05:32 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Some of these comments seem EXTREMELY short-sighted, especially considering the hundreds of examples of tech that DID migrate into production after legions of nay-sayers. The comment about "edge loops" seems out of place: edge loop manipulation seems moot in apps like 3dCoat and Zbrush.

Early mice (and thanks to steve jobs, even later mice) sucked rocks, I'm reasonably sure the physical UI will improve.

The comments have the tone of old farts sitting around griping about digitial imaging, or chip cameras. Meanwhile the guy who actually experienced it is pooh-poohed. Y'all will be working for him.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    edge loop manipulation seems moot in apps like 3dCoat and Zbrush.
    But Jeric! Zbrush is full of edgeloop functionality, there's a dedicated panel for edgeloops, there is edgeloop in the Zmodeler tool, on the deformation subpalettetool whatever etc.

Some of these comments seem EXTREMELY short-sighted, especially considering the hundreds of examples of tech that DID migrate into production after legions of nay-sayers. The comment about "edge loops" seems out of place: edge loop manipulation seems moot in apps like 3dCoat and Zbrush.

Early mice (and thanks to steve jobs, even later mice) sucked rocks, I'm reasonably sure the physical UI will improve.

The comments have the tone of old farts sitting around griping about digitial imaging, or chip cameras. Meanwhile the guy who actually experienced it is pooh-poohed. Y'all will be working for him.
    It's true!

LW3dG should have VR in their sights. It is actually an easy platform to cater for on the basic level.
    VR technology is still in development (but pretending to be a consumer product), waiting for the next leap that will bring the price right down and easier to wear/control, and then it'll be everywhere, mark my words. This time it isn't going away. The next 5 years we will also see a move away from pre-rendered into live, with VR experiences becoming a more mainstream thing.

If nothing else, it is a new artform to explore. I'd recommend to anyone here, if they have a VR capable phone (and buy a cheap headset for it) along with Lightwave:- Render out some of your work and experience it rather than just look at it on a screen. It feels very different, and exciting to stand in worlds you have created that were once locked away on the other side of the black mirror.
    Regarding VR, you want to be on the crest of the wave when it breaks, not dragging in the wake. But that is just my opinion and what not. :P

p.s. Personal predictions for VR...
    1. You will be able to watch all of the new Avatar movies in your VR headsets as a 360 filmatic experience. I'll eat my hat if that isn't the scope of his idea. #
    2. HL3 will come out with the next phase of consumer affordable VR.
    3. Facebook (or someone with resources, like Google) will release a VR world like second life but next level. You'll probably be able to make a part of your living creating content for it in 5-10 years and it will eventually have its own economy.

These will be the must have VR products that will hurtle it into the mainstream in the years to come. Anyone who has tried VR seems to love it, and it blows 3D TV and films out of the water and shouldn't be judged to be similar. 3D failed because it is a gimick for the most part. VR is the future waiting to happen, baby steps. You might not like it, but I don't think you can stop it. There are people out there who are wanting to make a whole ocean full of money, with new horizons to discover in disposable consumables!
    If you don't explore it, you may just get left behind.

This is totally incorrect.

Personally, I just came out of 90 minutes solid of practicing with Medium. This app is liberating.

I suggest you actually try it before passing judgement on it. Very capable tool, and I ******* love it.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    VR is only good for short sessions.
    They dont really pay you at work for short sessions.

Bingo!

Anyone who's taken the time to research what's happening in technology knows this is simply inevitable.

Adapt or get left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptive View Post
    It's true!

LW3dG should have VR in their sights. It is actually an easy platform to cater for on the basic level.
    VR technology is still in development (but pretending to be a consumer product), waiting for the next leap that will bring the price right down and easier to wear/control, and then it'll be everywhere, mark my words. This time it isn't going away. The next 5 years we will also see a move away from pre-rendered into live, with VR experiences becoming a more mainstream thing.

If nothing else, it is a new artform to explore. I'd recommend to anyone here, if they have a VR capable phone (and buy a cheap headset for it) along with Lightwave:- Render out some of your work and experience it rather than just look at it on a screen. It feels very different, and exciting to stand in worlds you have created that were once locked away on the other side of the black mirror.
    Regarding VR, you want to be on the crest of the wave when it breaks, not dragging in the wake. But that is just my opinion and what not. :P

p.s. Personal predictions for VR...
    1. You will be able to watch all of the new Avatar movies in your VR headsets as a 360 filmatic experience. I'll eat my hat if that isn't the scope of his idea. #
    2. HL3 will come out with the next phase of consumer affordable VR.
    3. Facebook (or someone with resources, like Google) will release a VR world like second life but next level. You'll probably be able to make a part of your living creating content for it in 5-10 years and it will eventually have its own economy.

These will be the must have VR products that will hurtle it into the mainstream in the years to come. Anyone who has tried VR seems to love it, and it blows 3D TV and films out of the water and shouldn't be judged to be similar. 3D failed because it is a gimick for the most part. VR is the future waiting to happen, baby steps. You might not like it, but I don't think you can stop it. There are people out there who are wanting to make a whole ocean full of money, with new horizons to discover in disposable consumables!
    If you don't explore it, you may just get left behind.

If I were Rob, I would most likely be heavily invested in VR/AR already.

Look at the pre pro work process he helped to DEVELOP with James Cameron on Avatar. IIRC, a lot (if not most) of the technology in LIVE Studio tools for Lightwave came from tools used for Avator.

Implementing HMD and hand controllers seems like a next logical step, to me. If I were Rob Powers.

And in addition to that, I would surmise that maybe a sort of native VPR style render that instantly goes out to the HMD while working in LW / Modeler....

Guys?

Vr department ala avatar is a completely different thing than Vr modeling, from what I have seen ..modeling in vr seems tiresome and not very efficient or different from using standard sculpting.
    When each fingertip can be a brush, without lag..with full pressure sensitivity and the UI to choose your hud floating tool pallette is made to make sense, then we may have something, but then think about how much power it takes to get even one brush to work on a high density model today, so I would suspect itīs still a long way to go.

As long as I can have a support pad where may hands can be resting while using fingers only to model, then it will make sense if they can also adapt the functionality and power I mentioned above, in fact you may be able to lay in the bed and model in ways you canīt with a standard computer today, just think about how the lower arms can be held straight up in the bed ..supported by the upper arms without any direct strain on the muscles.

To each, his own!

This tool is completely liberating me. My Achilles heel of 3D has always been modeling. After working with Medium for a few hours, I am convinced this will be a formidable tool, akin to zbrush. The interactivity is so immediately engaging, that once you experience it, you'll never want to go back. I swear, it's that good.

In due time. Will probably take another year for everyone else to catch on.

(Yay!)

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Vr department ala avatar is a completely different thing than Vr modeling, from what I have seen ..modeling in vr seems tiresome and not very efficient or different from using standard sculpting.
    When each fingertip can be a brush, without lag..with full pressure sensitivity and the UI to choose your hud floating tool pallette is made to make sense, then we may have something, but then think about how much power it takes to get even one brush to work on a high density model today, so I would suspect itīs still a long way to go.

As long as I can have a support pad where may hands can be resting while using fingers only to model, then it will make sense if they can also adapt the functionality and power I mentioned above, in fact you may be able to lay in the bed and model in ways you canīt with a standard computer today, just think about how the lower arms can be held straight up in the bed ..supported by the upper arms without any direct strain on the muscles.

You obviously need more time with 3dcoat and zbrushl. Lol.
    Mythbusted!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast