Thread: Talkshow capabilities in TC1 - audio routing and setup

Talkshow capabilities in TC1 - audio routing and setup

I am wondering how audio is set up with the talkshow capabilities of the TC1. I know it is figured out; but, i am worrying about how to do a live on air interview and handle the audio..... how do you prevent feedback, crosstalk and the like.... i know it works because I watch Bill O'Reilly; but, i don't know how to do it.

How do I do this with the TC1????. Please help me if you will

thanks all

Are you asking how to set up audio i/o between a TalkShow (VS100 or 4000) and TriCaster, or simply regarding TC1's native SkypeTX inputs? (Not being pedantic, these are rather different questions.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Steve,

you are right..... confusing question.

It is TC1 specific.

I am buying it as soon as I have the other issues figured out and know all of the equipment and cables and gizmo's i need to make it work the best way possible..... just assume I am doing a live interview with two politicians in different parts of the world...... they need to hear me, i need to hear them and they should each be able to hear each other.....

I am ready willing and able to read anything (books, articles, watch videos etc) to do it right on day one.

thanks

Rob

The built in Skype TX in the TC1 automatically configures mix-minus channels for you. If you are planning on using the TriCaster audio mixer for everything then that will get you most of the way there.

But there are some additional questions.

Typically you need mix-minus channels for the host(s) of your show, they can hear the Skype callers, but they don't want to hear themselves. How many hosts on the show do you plan to have? Are they going to have ear pieces or are you playing the audio into the room? I'd recommend ear pieces to avoid picking up the Skype callers on the host microphones.

Also, the audio inputs on the TriCaster TC1 are line level, so you will need to adapt mic level inputs to live level. This can be with an external audio mixer or a line level adapter. If you do plan on using an external audio mixer, then it comes down to how you plan to use that mixer (just for mics only, or trying to handle all of the audio) to get a better idea on how to set things up. The TC1 has a stereo XLR, a stereo 1/4" and headphone jack audio outputs. Beyond that you can also extract audio out of the SDI outputs or use NDI with products like NDI Connect to send/receive audio from computer soundcards.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by rlambert View Post
    I am ready willing and able to read anything (books, articles, watch videos etc) to do it right on day one.
    No need. It will just work (assuming you're using TriCaster's internal Mixer).

All you need to do is assign the two Skype TX channels to two TC1 Switcher inputs. By default, the corresponding Audio Mixer inputs are set to "Follow Video Source", so nothing to do there for input from Skype other than mess around with volume and EQ if you wish. As to the audio returned to the remote callers, this will be automatically be a mix minus which has that caller (and only that caller) from your Master mix.

(Note, this does not address any studio monitor requirements you may have. Kene has touched on that, I'm just talking about i/o between TriCaster and the remote callers. If you are mixing externally, obviously you will need to supply the (isolated) remote caller audio from TriCaster to your external mixer, but also send a version of the external mix that does not include these two channels back to TriCaster - to make up the background' for the Master mix that is used to create the mix minuses returned to the callers.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks guys.

There are two interviewers and two interviewees. The two folks in the studio will have wireless in ear monitors. I want to avoid all mixers except for the one in the tricaster TC1 if possible (and it seems like it is). I want to make sure each interviewee and interviewer has good audio without their voice.... Audio is also a little confusing for me so I have to think these very helpful comments through to make sure I understand.

If you want the interviewers to hear only the remote callers (I'm assuming they can hear each other without audio reinforcement), you can set up an Aux mix out of TC1 to supply the wireless system using the routing capabilities of TC1's mixer. The mix minuses for return to caller will be automatic, as discussed previously.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I actually understood that. Thank you. Easier than I thought.

rob

We do try.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your message a while back. I will get back to you regarding. In the meantime, I am trying to find a thread regarding routing the return video to the Skype Caller. How do I go about changing that feed from program to something else. Maybe a fixed camera on the host.
    I am using Skype TX. Thank you.

The Skype return is whatever you send to MIX1. I know that most people use MIX1 for Program out, but use MIX2 (or 3 or 4) for your program out instead.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Sounds good.

Thankyou.