Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Worth switching from Maya to LW?

Worth switching from Maya to LW?

I've been learning Maya and Mudbox at my University. I started on version 2015, but switched to 2016. I've learned quite a lot w/ Maya and have a understanding of modeling, animation, rigging/ weight painting, UV mapping ,etc. My biggest gripe with Maya is the random bugs/ glitches and the crashes. I'm not familiar with a lot of the other 3D apps, but I know I've never encountered such frustration with other software from Adobe for example in terms of stability. Maybe 3D is just a more complex realm?

The reason I am interested in LW is maybe nostalgia at this point? When I was much younger around 12 or 13, I was given a bunch of back issues of DV Magazine. I remember seeing the adverts / reviews/ previews of LW 5.5 , LW6, and LW7. I was always eager to purchase the academic version, but being so young could never afford it. I think I went w/ Truespace 4 and got a good price on it. However, I never got far with modeling anything good, but always had some fun in it. Anyway, despite never using LW I always heard good things online and it always was better priced compared to the alternatives. That still seems to be the case.

Anyway, the subscription based module Autodesk offers has prompted me to look elsewhere to do commercial work. I understand larger studios prefer Maya and Autodesk products, which raises my concern in switching to non-Autodesk software. So far, I'm looking into Lightwave and Modo, which I hear are similar. I'm a little familiar with Blender (recent versions) as well, but only have used the modeling tools, rendering, weight painting and some rigging. However, switching from Blender back to Maya and vice versa wasn't fun. Too completely different interfaces and shortcuts. There are some features I like in Blender and some I like in Maya. I'm wondering how the learning curve will be switching from Maya to say LW. Blender's interface is kind of bizarre, but Maya's can feel congested/cluttered.

So my biggest questions really:

1. Is it worth buying an older LW license from someone (w/ intentions to upgrade down the road) and learn LW for commercial work? Or should I go with Modo Indie, which I think offers a standalone non subscription price?
    2. How does Lightwave, Modo, Blender, and Maya compare w/ each other?
    3. Does LW have a good community of support/ tutorials, etc? Am I going to need to spend more money on plugins to make the software better?
    4. Is LW friendly with game engines such as Unreal and Unity? I know Blender and Modo work pretty well with both engines (from what I've heard).
    5. Lastly, given that the industry rarely uses LW (I hear from my professors Maya is industry standard), is it necessary to even consider switching and buying an older license (LW9.5 or 10)?

I'm just a student, but here are some examples of my 3d work:

Maya and Mudbox:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17352540_168921740288511_3199692673139190027_n.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	136423

Name:	16683949_143605499486802_4175317475421282202_n.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	136424

(background on second image is just a real-life photo and not actual 3D)

Blender

Name:	16998115_156032291577456_2713792195897715838_n.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	136425
    Last edited by jperk; 04-02-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Your five questions are deceptively simple, but the answers are not so simple, nor can be given as absolutes. If you're learning Maya and Mudbox at college and looking to work for studios with those pipelines, then no it is not worth switching and the nostalgia bit makes less sense to me, but if you are serious about paragraph 2, maybe delay your decision till Lightwave Next is released and evaluate again.

If you are looking for a very decent jack-of-trades to maybe freelance away from a subscription model, then Lightwave is certainly a great choice. To comment specifically on your question 3, tutorials are all over the place and don't go buying every plugin thinking they are all needed, but some plugins can make software "better" depending on what you are trying to do....which is pretty much true of all 3D software.

My suggestion, if you are close to any area that seems to require Maya..Usa ? etc, try hold on to some sort of Maya license ..since that is what you have learned and that may be what has the most openings.
    Though If you feel you would like to aim for freelancing, Simply download the trial of lightwave 2015 and see how that works for you.
    Otherwise I would say..just wait and do nothing until the new lightwave comes out, this release I think is where Lightwave will establish itīs direction as a runner up again against other major 3d apps, or it will strangle itself to become less of an actor than even before.
    Meanwhile, get in to learning blender while waiting for what the next lightwave will bring.

i'll just copy what Lexx/prometheus said   :)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

1- Is it worth buying an older LW license from someone (w/ intentions to upgrade down the road) and learn LW for commercial work? Or should I go with Modo Indie, which I think offers a standalone non subscription price?
    might be wort it, i started out buying an old LW version, then upgrades.
    2- How does Lightwave, Modo, Blender, and Maya compare w/ each other?
    outch. i'll give you the short version, LW is good for smacking things up and throwing it out the door with great quality. great for indie.
    3- Does LW have a good community of support/ tutorials, etc? Am I going to need to spend more money on plugins to make the software better?
    yes, LW has a great community.
    4- Is LW friendly with game engines such as Unreal and Unity? I know Blender and Modo work pretty well with both engines (from what I've heard).
    nah, not so much as far as i know, but i'll let others answer.
    5- Lastly, given that the industry rarely uses LW (I hear from my professors Maya is industry standard), is it necessary to even consider switching and buying an older license (LW9.5 or 10)?
    if you do, make sure you get LW11. and yes it is worth it, but LW is more known for a one-man-army. if you want a standard program LW might not be for you.

Do both.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Maybe I will just learn both. I would probably invest in Maya LT if it didn't have the subscription module. However, Maya and Mudbox experience will look good on my resume. Maybe I will just look into LW for personal home use/ freelance.

How does weight painting/ character rigging compare in LW compare to Maya? What about UV mapping and animation (is it similar to snapping w/ "S" in Maya?). Also, how does LW compare w/ Blender and Modo? I hear Modo is quite sluggish with animating / rigging , but offers good modeling tools. Also, Modo indie actually has rendering, which Maya LT does not. And Modo indie has the standalone price of like $300-400, but I don't think upgrades are included.

Newtek seems more friendly in regards to updating from older versions.

I used LightWave, mostly Layout for animation/render, for about 10 years as a hobby. I never got the hang of modeling in LightWave except for buildings, which I modeled with the LWCAD plugin.

After over a decade of professional work in a different trade I went to a school to learn more about 3D and make it my career, where we learned Maya. I can clearly see why it's used by so many for rig and animation. Usability, intuitive setup of things, performance.. It's just miles ahead. But yes, you do get a lot of crashes. We use 2016 at the studio, and it's been a nightmare at times. But you learn how to dodge the bullets and find workarounds. Or tread carefully.

Is it worth buying an older LW license from someone (w/ intentions to upgrade down the road) and learn LW for commercial work? Or should I go with Modo Indie, which I think offers a standalone non subscription price?
    Perhaps. I find the 2015 version stable for me. If you can find that for a good price, why not.

I wouldn't even consider Modo Indie. It's too restricted. You can't use scripts or plugins for starters..
    But you're a student! Foundry has a generous student/graduate program. I got Modo, NukeX and Mari for about $200 as a graduate. It's a full commercial license that will give you a kickstart. They also offer Modo, Mari and Hiero Player (I have no idea what it is though) for a bit less. If you're looking for only Modo as a graduate license I suggest you contact Foundry by email.

How does Lightwave, Modo, Blender, and Maya compare w/ each other?
    I am biased, because I use Modo now. My experience was: LightWave is great for layout/camera work/rendering. It's hands down the best I've experienced. It's fast to set up things to make them look beautiful. My biggest gripe with LightWave is the modeling bit. It just never clicked with me.

Then I experienced Maya. The modeling part felt easier for me there, but it still wasn't perfect. Rigging and animation is just a blast. Lighting, rendering and camera work is their weak spot in my opinion, at least coming from LightWave.

And then, just before my graduation, I purchased Modo and started learning it over the summer. My experience is that Modo is sort of the best from LightWave and Maya. Great modeling performance and feedback, interesting rigging and animation tools (I still prefer Maya for such though), and familiar camera/light controls as in LW.

I don't have any experience with Blender except I've opened it to import/export some objects.

Is LW friendly with game engines such as Unreal and Unity? I know Blender and Modo work pretty well with both engines (from what I've heard).
    I would honestly pick something else than LW at the moment. Modo or Maya. (Or blender, should you go that route).

Lastly, given that the industry rarely uses LW (I hear from my professors Maya is industry standard), is it necessary to even consider switching and buying an older license (LW9.5 or 10)?
    I'd try to get LW2015, or at the very minimum LW11.

How does weight painting/ character rigging compare in LW compare to Maya?
    I prefer Maya in this area.

What about UV mapping and animation (is it similar to snapping w/ "S" in Maya?)
    UV mapping in Modo is a breeze. I've heard the new UV tools in Maya 2017 is quite good.
    You've got a ton of snapping options and features in Modo.

Also, how does LW compare w/ Blender and Modo? I hear Modo is quite sluggish with animating / rigging , but offers good modeling tools.
    Very true! I've barely done any animation in Modo except very simple hard surface stuff with hinges, springs or whatever. That's not a big problem. But characters are mostly slow. Maya can do the same character and rig complexity like hot knife in butter.

Also, Modo indie actually has rendering, which Maya LT does not. And Modo indie has the standalone price of like $300-400, but I don't think upgrades are included.
    You're better off getting full Modo. Modo indie is very limited, as mentioned above: no scripts, no plugins. You'll be stuck with tools from the stone age if you don't have a couple of scripts to help on making models or rigs.

Newtek seems more friendly in regards to updating from older versions.
    That's also true.

As a bottom line: The only reason I keep my LW license around is because of LWCAD, TurbulenceFD and Octane. I find the Octane plugin in LW tenfold better and more responsive to the one in Modo. I'm not even sure I'm going to upgrade the license when LW Next hits. Hard to tell, but it's not on my priority list unless they have something I can't get anywhere else at the moment.
    Last edited by OlaHaldor; 04-03-2017 at 12:01 AM.
    3D Generalist
    Threadripper 2920x, 128GB, RTX 2080 Ti, Windows 10

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by OlaHaldor
    My biggest gripe with LightWave is the modeling bit
    Wow, really man?

I know how to work in Max, C4D, Inventor, Autocad and IMHO thereīs nothing like Lightwave as a modelling tool (Iīve never used Modo, so canīt compare with that one). For now, my opinion is that LW is the most powerful modelling tool out there.

OT: For working with big studios or other relative big companies Iīm going to follow what other are saying, Maya, or Max seems more important at the moment.

Maya, max and zbrush should be your main appz. I use maya, max, lw, modo, blender for different things.

The question is what will be your secondary.
    Lw is by far the easiest as secondary. Offers the best in class renderer up to lw 2015. Well rounded for vfx, viz work, ca. There's no shadertree that can be convoluted like modo.

Modo is seen primarily as a modeller and for viz work. Not much for vfx, ca. Modo indie is bang for the buck I wouldn't invest in the main app at this point. The foundry is also owned by a VC. Probably sell it again in the future.

Even though I've basically remapped the hell out of blender to maya style its still odd. Development is also at the mercy of fly by night devs who want to make a name for themselves and get hired then leave. But if you're poor or retired, blender is the best choice.

I wouldn't say I'm biased towards Maya. When it works it is quite efficient in what it does. I know my way around the interface for the most part. The problem is the bugs and crashes, which I know is not just me experiencing. Maya has always had a rep for it's crashes. And I know I'm not crazy because other students in my course complain and even during my professor's presentation/ demo, Maya will go bonkers and crash.

This worries me because Maya can frustrate me like no tomorrow and if I'm in the workplace shaking my computer monitor and screaming, I fear I won't last at the job. I wonder if companies have ever fired someone for getting pissed at Maya going insane.

I've worked w/ Blender a little and it's a good freebie open source. Just haven't worked in it as much as I have in Maya. Also, it seems as if Blender is aimed at the hobbyist not to say amazing things can be done. It's just most indie game devs that use it don't seem to be getting paid. However, I really like how lightweight it feels and it's not sluggish at all compare to Maya, which can be slow when loading up and requires way more CPU power (and possibly GPU power?).

I know no software is perfect, but I'd love to find one that is more stable and suitable for commercial work. Modo, Cinema4D, Zbrush, and LW seem to be the only alternatives. I've heard great things about Modo both on here and elsewhere on the net, yet I know it's animation tools aren't perfect. Though I don't think anything will match Maya's animation tools. Sadly, not to be negative but it seems Cinema4D kind of stole LW's spotlight in terms of TV production/ broadcast. Maybe the next version of LW will change things up?

LW is still the most affordable on the market w/ no month to month subscriptions. I really like that.

I'm looking into LW or MODO after I graduate. They seem to be good options. Might look into Maya LT, but it's got no render capabilities. I hate the subscription based modules. Looking for a standalone. Also, might look into purchasing an older used Photoshop license prior to CC. Might do the same for LW unless I can get a good deal on Modo that isn't month to month.

I wish Autodesk made Maya LT standalone priced instead of month-to-month. I think it was once free actually or around $200-300.
    Last edited by jperk; 04-03-2017 at 04:52 PM.

For what it's worth- I was taught LW at a local community college. Went to Full Sail and was taught Maya. After I graduated I got so frustrated with Autodesk as a company, I refuse to give them my money. I bought MODO 701, then 801 and then bought LW 2015.
    I like MODO for modeling, even more than Maya, and then LW for everything else. However, recently I've been trying to get my grip on modeling in LW and it's not as bad as you'd think. The tools do need some finessing, for sure.
    Every major 3D software has pros and cons, so I always look at the company and the community.
    LW3DG does right by their customers and they priced LW really good; but the community is all doom and gloom, which gets annoying (Many on here are good though). TF is good too, but I feel they're too big for their own good (I can see them becoming like Autodesk). Then there's AD, which is by far the worst company and their community is all over the place.

You will certainly need Maya to get a job. You can get jobs with other software, but most jobs are for Maya. I don't see that changing.
    Mac Pro
    3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache
    32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
    1TB PCIe-based SSD
    Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

IF LightWave does crash, it takes you 5 seconds to Fire it Up!  

Maya... 10 to 45  (depending)
    Max.. more than i care to count...

So max it actually less stable than Maya? Never heard that but then again never used max really. Glad to hear that LW is pretty lightweight. http://forums.newtek.com/newreply.ph...3191&noquote=1

no idea, i only mentioned startup time.
    i did have a few crashes last time i tried Max, but that's about all i can say.
    (and also one of the reasons why i wasn't eager to pursue using it)

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast