Thread: Sparks

Talking Sparks

Hi, i'm trying to learn 3D animation
    i've been using lightwave for while now and i really like it
    here is my first animation test, your feedback is welcome it will help me improve myself

Last edited by mx2010; 03-29-2017 at 05:01 AM. Reason: wrong section

Not bad as a first foray into the world of 3d animation.

I remember my first character animation I ever did. I will have to post it sometime.. It involved a walk cycle, some camera movement and my attempt at using morph targets and lip syncing.

There is a lot to learn and you shouldn't let anything stand in the way of learning more. Some here might give you constructive criticism and others will be quite harsh - even though they have shown little to any of their own work.

Keep at it.

As it is a first attempt, there is one thing that I see as a problem. It is the movement of the camera. You will see as the camera moves through its motion path, there are little wobbles here and there.

This is most likely the tension on the keyframes for those points the camera is transitioning through. You can remedy this by opening up the graph editor and tweaking the spline tension on those keyframes for a more even in / out flow.

Another trick you could use, but I think helps with camera focus and movement is to parent the camera to a null object and have the camera target a separate null. Name one null camera_null and the other CameraTarget_null (something like that). In this way, you can move the camera anywhere you want and have it always pointing at the null; which you can move as well. It is a little more setup, but give you some flexibility / ease of keeping the camera pointed where you want (and the target can also be used as a point of focus when you get into depth of field options).

It has, in fact, been a long time since I have tinkered with the animation side of Lightwave. I am not the best resource here, but there are others who can share and critique. Just be aware that there is A LOT to learn and getting better requires a labor of love. Love the process and you will improve.

-Adrian

thanks Adrian for the constructive reply
    using nulls to control camera, i should have thought of that
    i guess there is a lot of possibilities in 3D world and that's what is like
    i'll keep doing my best to improve

I don't know how old you are, but when I was learning this stuff, it was all on my own. There were pretty much no schools or the plethora of online resources to learn this (both free and paid).

3D, like the real world is pretty deep - there is a lot to learn and it is hard to be a master at everything. It can be overwhelming when you look at the big picture. Pick a couple of things at a time that really interest you. Focus on gathering information, research it and practice. If you can, spend a little cash on some of the "project" based tutorials that touch on a little of everything to get to a finished shot. I would, stay away from some of the tutorials from a particular individual - at least I find them not worth the price (even if low). There is a lot of free stuff out there. Take advantage, but pay for things when they obviously have value (that way the artists who work hard to teach will find it worth their time and effort).

-Adrian

i'm 24 and i'm just a hobbyist
    there are many good tutorials to get used to lightwave in this forum
    what really pic my interest is cel shaded animation i want to concentrate on that on the future

For camera targeting a null..Thereīs a script that xchrisx so kindly made upon my request, you can specify a camera with a camera target directly..though this aught to be native stuff, things like a camera with target has been in 3d max for ages....
    Thanks to xchrisx, I am not sure how it works in lw2015, have to check later.
    http://www.chrisepeterson.com/ls/cp_newcamera.zip

Quote Originally Posted by mx2010 View Post
    ...i'm just a hobbyist...
    That how it starts!!!
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    For camera targeting a null..Thereīs a script that xchrisx so kindly made upon my request, you can specify a camera with a camera target directly..though this aught to be native stuff, things like a camera with target has been in 3d max for ages....
    Thanks to xchrisx, I am not sure how it works in lw2015, have to check later.
    http://www.chrisepeterson.com/ls/cp_newcamera.zip
    thanks for sharing i'll give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    That how it starts!!!
    well i've tried almost every 3d software but lightwave was the only one that attracted me
    the navigation system and the organization of tools made it very easy for me to dive in the word 3d
    i lean things by trial, when i started i didn't know what most of words mean but all that changed in a couple of months
    all i can say is " i found the best software for me, i hope i can achieve something valuable in the future "

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    re: camera w/target: I've always found that to be more trouble than it's worth, maybe because I was a RW camera operator. Pointing the camera is no big deal.

In specialized circumstances it comes in handy, but generally, not so much. (So spare me the trumped up examples.)

Systems like AE's 3d, needing targets for cameras and lights, are horrid. (IIRC there's an option to just point, w/o targets. Good.)
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    re: camera w/target: I've always found that to be more trouble than it's worth, maybe because I was a RW camera operator. Pointing the camera is no big deal.

In specialized circumstances it comes in handy, but generally, not so much. (So spare me the trumped up examples.)

Systems like AE's 3d, needing targets for cameras and lights, are horrid. (IIRC there's an option to just point, w/o targets. Good.)
    Well..My perspective is this, I tend to want to "fly" around any object with a camera by just moving it back and fourth and around while targeting the area of interest, to find that special view, in my opinion it would take you longer time to set that up with adding camera, adding a null ..naming i cam target, then go to camera motion options and select the goal from there, much longer than just using a provided camera setup that includes camera target, one could have two sorts, add camera, and add target camera.
    I just donīt understand how pointing the camera manually would get anywhere close to using a camera target.

Another option is of course to use match viewport perspective, but that will only sync your initial movements to a selected camera and it will not be possible to adjust target focus..without manuallymoving the camera in rotation.

Dont get what the trouble is, maybe adjusting the target?