Thread: Datalink Related Requests

Datalink Related Requests

When we upgraded to AE a week ago, I thought the transition to using the internal datalink/LiveText would be fairly simple. Unfortunately, and it seems like I'm not alone here, the internal version is incredibly different and there isn't a lot of thorough explanation in the manuals. During my short week of working on attempting to get graphics with Daktronics scoreboard graphics to load, I have a couple of requests relating to Datalink and LiveText on AE. I'm sure as I delve into it a bit more tomorrow, I'll have a few more requests.

Allow datalink keys to be visible within internal Livetext. It's significantly easier to edit and rearrange graphics in LT instead of editing a graphic in a media player.

Create a Save option for graphics edited in the media players, not just save and duplicate. When I have to load and edit 25 graphics, it's a big hassle to save and duplicate, and then delete the old graphic.
    Last edited by ASD20; 03-27-2017 at 05:31 PM.

I realized the second request is available but wasn't explained extremely well in the manuals. Which brings me to one other request, consolidate the manuals so there is one location for the integrated livetext/datalink option. Right now, I have to go through three different manuals to get a complete look at the products.

Quote Originally Posted by ASD20 View Post
    It's significantly easier to edit and rearrange graphics in LT instead of editing a graphic in a media player.
    I agree, for which reason both the integrated version of LT and the standalone will soon (if not already) properly handle manually entered DataLink key names in exported title pages. However, note the external version of LT maintains it's own, completely independent DataLink key set. TriCaster has no access to those external key-pair sets. In similar fashion, the integrated version of LT - which is provided purely for page authoring purposes, and is inaccessible during live production - has no access to either external DataLink feeds or the local TriCaster DataLink database.

None of this is very likely to change. Thus you will need to enter key names manually. Thankfully, these are now properly embedded in the exported CGXML file, so it only needs to be done once.

Create a Save option for graphics edited in the media players, not just save and duplicate.
    I couldn't agree more.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I realized the second request is available but wasn't explained extremely well in the manuals. Which brings me to one other request, consolidate the manuals so there is one location for the integrated livetext/datalink option. Right now, I have to go through three different manuals to get a complete look at the products.
    Once upon a time they were consolidated, but the sheer volume, specialized detail, and cross-platform nature of information in the A&I Guide argued for separation. I think it's highly unlikely they'll ever be re-joined ... an argument for integrating the LT docs into the TriCaster manual might be worth considering, but no promises.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

An additional issue I'm noticing is when I'm trying to replace a _placeholder image with a team's logo, I can't actually access the _placeholder picture in the media editor because the %CGDakGuestScore% datalink key covers it up. So I have to delete the text in that key so I can even click on the _placeholder image.

One thing I have noticed is I'm able to use the up/down arrows to move around on the datalink text to select different text. Would it be possible to allow those arrows to also select the _placeholder images?

Also, if you have an image on top of the _placeholder images, you can't select those placeholders, even if the image on top of it is transparent. i.e, we have our base scoreboard background, then the two _placeholder files for each team, then the "Frame" of the scoreboard on top of that. That unfortunately won't work, so you'll have to make sure your _placeholder graphics are the exact size and location you want them to be. A bit of a hassle in the setup process for sure.
    Last edited by ASD20; 03-30-2017 at 11:16 AM.

An additional issue I'm noticing is when I'm trying to replace a _placeholder image with a team's logo, I can't actually access the _placeholder picture in the media editor because the %CGDakGuestScore% datalink key covers it up. So I have to delete the text in that key so I can even click on the _placeholder image.

One thing I have noticed is I'm able to use the up/down arrows to move around on the datalink text to select different text. Would it be possible to allow those arrows to also select the _placeholder images?

Also, if you have an image on top of the _placeholder images, you can't select those placeholders, even if the image on top of it is transparent. i.e, we have our base scoreboard background, then the two _placeholder files for each team, then the "Frame" of the scoreboard on top of that. That unfortunately won't work, so you'll have to make sure your _placeholder graphics are the exact size and location you want them to be. A bit of a hassle in the setup process for sure.
    Have you tried hitting tab to switch between selections?