Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locked in Discovery Mode, no Lock ID.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Do you have a dongle inserted?

If you're dragging in a non-dongle license key, you need to remove the dongle. Otherwise, the dongle will block it. I remember this causing some confusion where I was working a couple of years ago when we got all the licenses upgraded to 2015.

Or it could be the other way around--maybe you're using the dongle version key without the dongle inserted.
    Just manually edit the key file to include the dongle numbers for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of whatever LightWave versions you have installed. Put all of the dongle numbers you have, each on one line, starting one blank line below the big block. Then, no matter how you open any of them, it just finds what it's looking for. I have numbers for all of my versions in the file and place copies of the file where each version looks for it. Good to go.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Thanks for the tip.

From what I recall at the time, I had put all of the studio's 11 licenses in one file, including the dongle licenses and the non-dongle licenses, but the machines would always launch in Discovery mode if the dongle was present. If we removed the dongle, it would launch with the non-dongle license, so we just assumed you couldn't mix these two systems. Since we had pretty much switched over to 2015 for some time already (this was 2014 but we were a beta site,) we really didn't need the dongles anymore, so we just retired the dongles.

I work at a different studio now and we don't use the dongles, so it's not an issue there.

It's not an issue for me personally either--I rarely use the dongle on my own computers anymore. I do keep the dongles around in case I need to run a really old version of lightwave but, TBH, I can't remember the last time I had to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    I had put all of the studio's 11 licenses in one file, including the dongle licenses and the non-dongle licenses, but the machines would always launch in Discovery mode if the dongle was present. If we removed the dongle, it would launch with the non-dongle license, so we just assumed you couldn't mix these two systems.
    Something odd there. If that were actually the case, users could not use commercial plugins that poll the dongle in combination with the software registration system. I have the dongle plugged in and the key files are as described above and everything works. BTW, the method is to add the 4-quad numbers to the .LWK file, not the registration block to the .KEY file.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12