Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave plugin called "Hot ocean"?.

Quote Originally Posted by cove View Post
    Yes you can have a lot more particles to get a better looking wave action.
    All that,s required is you scale up the size of the fluid [and container]
    objects.
    But scaling up increases processing time.
    The animation i created [800 frames] to get the water plume effect took 2 hours to process. [there were bout 27000 particles]
    In similar tests id done previously the fluid object was larger with about 900000+ particles and each frame was taking about 20 minutes to process. Canceled after 2 frames.
    With more serious projects were the particle count is very high i can of coarse leave it processing over night.
    Did you use 64 bit lightwave? sounds heavy on the system if you get 20 min to process for that..but of course it depends on your hardware and memory as well.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Did you use 64 bit lightwave? sounds heavy on the system if you get 20 min to process for that..but of course it depends on your hardware and memory as well.
    i prometheus.

Yes my Lightwave is 64 bit.

Here my system specification

Armari Magnetar S16-AW750 Workstation.
    Processor. Intel i7 3.40GHz [6core/12 thread].
    [Tuned to run at 4.4GHz] Water cooled system.
    RAM. 32GB SDRAM.
    GRAPHICS CARD. AMD FirePro W5000.
    O/S Microsoft Windows 10 Professional [64BIT].
    Dell 24" hi res monitor.

To make more sense of the 20 minutes per frame with a very high particle count i had added all 5 filters in the Mesh window which helps create a smoother surface to the final mesh.
    These filters are optional by default but they do add to the processing time.
    Im still learning the software and were compramisers need to be made.

Although others would prefer DeepRisingFX to be at a more advanced stage its turned out for me, as it is now, to be reasonably easy to understand and get to grips with as it has relatively
    few panels and parameters to get your head round.
    Also i like the way Darkcheif acts on any suggested improvements.
    In a recent update he added about 5-6 of the most important features that had been requested with less inportant ones i expect being added in another update.

When will hot ocean be available for PC win? it's been 7 years?
    https://code.google.com/archive/p/hotocean4lw/downloads

Quote Originally Posted by UNREALONE1 View Post
    https://code.google.com/archive/p/hotocean4lw/downloads
    HOT Ocean has run on Windows for many years.

For example, if you scrub to 0:44 in the video link below, you can see a scene where I used Hot Ocean in LightWave 11.6 running on Windows 7 back in 2014:

https://vimeo.com/209695539

(I used it elsewhere in that reel too but don't want to take the time to go through it right now.)

We also sometimes used HOT Ocean at Rhythm way, way back, but I don't have any of that footage online.
    Last edited by Greenlaw; 12-17-2017 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Incorrect year.

In the link you posted, the last download item (marked OpsSys-Windows) is the one for Windows.

It runs in x64 too. As mentioned earlier in this thread, you should MDD scan the displacement before submitting the scene to a render farm.

oh corks
    Quote Originally Posted by UNREALONE1 View Post
    Yes, you're right. Seven years. Seven years since it's been available for PC.

Another tip: I mainly use HOT ocean for foreground water, and any region near the camera. For distant water, it's more practical to use a plane or disc with procedural surfacing tricks. That's what I used in the wide open ocean scenes on the reel.

You can merge the two effects in LightWave or in compositing. IMO, it's easier and much faster to do this compositing. I prefer Fusion for this sort of thing but AE is pretty good too. I remember making another good example but I don't think it's on that reel. (Hmm, maybe it's time to cut another reel.)

Hope you get HOT Ocean running on your system soon. Have fun!

Is there a Mac version of the latest Hot Ocean plugin?

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    AAocean is better.
    Look it up.
    Agreed, if you are seriously seeking realistic ocean surface displacement/deformation, etc. then AAocean is superior to HOT.

AAocean Suite info here -- but keep looking, as I recall a LW version of the Tessendorf approach also available with similar name, just cant find the link.

Tessendorf's paper "Simulating Ocean Waves" is here, which was the basis of AAocean. There's a related presentation here which might help understand the approach better, if you're considering making your own from scratch.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Actually what is most important in this particular project is the ability to have an object rise out of the water on to a beach,
    with some decent realism e.g. drips/splashing etc.
    Having been away from LW for a good decade I’m surprised to see there still isn’t something like RealFlow included.
    Also finding there really isn’t much of anything to run on my Mac version for realistic fluid dynamics.
    Sorry now I didn’t switch to Maya or Cinema4D.

Quote Originally Posted by ckeyes888 View Post
    Is there a Mac version of the latest Hot Ocean plugin?
    How desperate are you?

There's a OSX UB32 plugin here, but won't work in LW UB64 obviously. The source code is there as well, but it's set up for VStudio Windows compilation, so compiling on XCode for UB64 will likely take a bit of conversion work.

If you're truly desperate, and can't find a UB64 compile otherwise (I thought there was one posted on the forums at one pt, but might be thinking of another pkg), I'm sure there are ways you could convince a dev with a Mac & XCode to build a UB64 version for you. I'd offer, but simply don't have time at the moment, but will look at it as soon as I have some free time. I believe Mike Wolf was involved with the port, so he might have a UB64 version around somewhere, might be worth asking.
    John W.

Thanks. For a relative newbie to fluid dynamics this is all sounding like a many months project, not something
    I could get anywhere with in a few weeks. I’m in need of something that doesn’t seem to exist, powerful with
    an intuitive GUI...especially so being a Mac user.

Quote Originally Posted by ckeyes888 View Post
    Thanks. For a relative newbie to fluid dynamics this is all sounding like a many months project, not something
    I could get anywhere with in a few weeks. I’m in need of something that doesn’t seem to exist, powerful with
    an intuitive GUI...especially so being a Mac user.
    So really desperate. Okay, noted, will see if I can do anything quickly to help, but no promises.
    John W.

Hi,
    i find this old threat, and i would like to test Houdini Ocean Plugin for Lightwave. But i don´t get the plugin starts. Download the plugin, extract it to my plugin folder. Adding the plugin, Lightwave found 6 plugin in one file, and then.....nothing happens. :-(
    I´m using Lightwave 2019.1 with win10. Anybody has an idea?

Two things, you should know....i´m a Lightwave newbie and my english is .....I´m sorry about that :-)

best regards
    kievi

It's been a long time since I last used HOT Ocean but from what I recall you just apply it as a Displacement plugin to a divided plane. I'm not at my personal computer where I can walk through the steps but when I get home this evening, I can tell you more.

However, I don't think I ever tried it in LightWave 2018 or 2019. I think it should work but I can't confirm that at the moment.

Just to be clear about HOT Ocean, it's not a dynamics tool, meaning it doesn't interact with anything. But if you need a convincing closeup of waves made really fast, HOT is a pretty good cheat. If you need to create more realistic waves with interaction, and directly inside LightWave, you'll want to look at Deep Rising FX.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast