Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux render node - first experiences & bugs

Newbie Member

Linux render node - first experiences & bugs

I haven't even installed the upgrade yet, but have already checked out the linux render node

Well, it seems I found a bug: When starting the node through one of the two shell scripts, but without giving any arguments, the node crashes with

/usr/share/lwsn-7.5b/runsn2.sh
    LightWave Linux ScreamerNet Module (Build 582)
    /usr/share/lwsn-7.5b/runsn2.sh: line 4: 2075 Segmentation fault ./lwsn -2 -c/usr/share/lwsn-7.5b/.lwext3rc $*

I'll continue to do some testing now.

And what about a Linux area in the message boards?

Newbie Member

Exclamation

Three more things that I noticed:

1. The SN node does not seem to resolve symbolic links!!

2. Shell refresh is way too fast. It displays about 100 lines of 'LightWave command: xxx' per second. If you would pipe the shell output into a text file (e.g. for creating a render log file) it would be several megs large in no time.
    It also causes significant processor usage on my Samba server which holds the jobX and ackX files.

3. What is this error supposed to be? How could I have a drive G under linux?!
    LightWave command: load.
    Loading "G:\Lightwave\Content\Misc\Scenes\radiosity_room01 .lws".
    Error: Can't open scene file.
    Scene loaded.
    I am using the -d option to provide the correct (linux)path to the content directory, /mnt/Samba/.... in this case.

Please, NewTek support, help me out or post documentation on the correct usage. Just saying 'proceed as usual' in the readme is not too good.

I too noticed that when running, the lwsn process uses tons of CPU resources - something like 60%! And it is just waiting for messages. I actually had to open up another shell to kill the process.

And that segfault when running without any args was a surprise!

On the bright side, the RPM installed flawlessly. Took me a few moments to locate lwsn after the install though. It's in /usr/share :-)

I'll try to get it to render something over the weekend.
    Chris Blanos
    MacPro Dual 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 6GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, Mac OS X 10.5.7
    www.blanos.com

Newbie Member

Angry

You can check where files inside a rpm will go before installing. Just type 'rpm -qpl' plus the rpm's filename and it'll list the files inside the package.

I have given up trying to get it to work. Since it does not seem to be a straightforward process of setting it up, I don't understand why NewTek hasn't documented it!

Conclusion : I can't get anything good from the Linux rendernode, except a display of good will of NewTek by having released it at all...

For your test, did you use samba to connect to your windows machine?

John
    John Gutwin
    Pepperchrome

Newbie Member
    The project files and the render control files (jobX and ackX) both lie on a linux server running samba.

The ScreamerNet controller running LW is of course a Windows machine, which has the samba directory mounted as a network harddrive.

The machine that I want to run the linux node on is a linux machine, which has the same samba share that the windows pc uses, mounted into a directory under /mnt.

--

This has been working with Wine so far, so I don't see a reason as to why a native rendernode shouldn't be able to run as well.

No output

Well my experience with the Linux LWSN is similar. I did get the Linux node to accept a scene file and start working it, but it just rifles through the frames in .5 seconds each (they take about a minute each to render on Windows) and doesn't report any problems. In fact, it reports that it's saving the .tga image file to the location on the linux box that I specified, except there is no file written.

Using the -3 option (local render, no screamernet) with all files on the local Linux box produced slightly better results. Each frame takes the right amount of time to process and it mentions each object it's moving etc., but again the image output reports success but there is no file written there (or anywhere else).

And does anyone know what the build_ext3 program is for?

NewTek, some help please?

Newbie Member
    How did you get the node to not look for a Windows harddrive letter (e.g. 'G:\')?

Unhappy Re: No output

Originally posted by shorn
    Using the -3 option (local render, no screamernet) with all files on the local Linux box produced slightly better results. Each frame takes the right amount of time to process and it mentions each object it's moving etc., but again the image output reports success but there is no file written there (or anywhere else).
    I'm getting the same behaviour when dealing with the -3 flag. And no documentation anywhere. I've gone in and edited the .lws file by hand changing the RGBImagesPrefix variable. I thought that if I explicitly tell it where I want the images, but didn't work.

I'm wondering about this as well. I tried running it inside a tmp directory I created and I saw no change.

I wish the RPM would come with documentation. The documentation in the manual is less than satisfactory.
    Beettlle
    ----------------------------------
    Is that liquid N2 in your pants
    or are you just glad to see me?

Originally posted by markus
    How did you get the node to not look for a Windows harddrive letter (e.g. 'G:\')?
    That's pretty easy, but you have to be thorough. First off, you want to make sure that the scene was set up using only files that exist under your currently-defined content directory. Then, in addition you have to make sure that the objects themselves aren't referencing full-path files. The only way I've found to fix this is to make sure the full-path to the file is NOT available, and then when loading the object you will get an error that it can't find the item. At that point you need to point lightwave to a path that does exist within your content directory.

After saving your scene file, you can open it in a text editor and look for the file paths. They should all be something like "objects/spaceships/coolspaceship.lwo" as opposed to "g:\lightwave\content\objects\spaceships\
    coolspaceship.lwo"

As mentioned by Beettlle, you can edit the RGBImagesPrefix variable in the scene file to reference an available location on your linux box - preferrably some network folder that is accesible from all your linux render nodes (you do have dozens of them, right? ) assuming that the linux box itself is not your file server (mine is, I recommend it!). But so far LWSN has not produced an image file for me.

Re: No output

Well my experience with the Linux LWSN is similar. I did get the Linux node to accept a scene file and start working it, but it just rifles through the frames in .5 seconds each (they take about a minute each to render on Windows) and doesn't report any problems. In fact, it reports that it's saving the .tga image file to the location on the linux box that I specified, except there is no file written.

NewTek, some help please?
    I get the Exact same thing in -3 mode. And I have tried editing the image path save thing in the scene file.

When trying -2 mode I can't get it to initialize. I am using Mac OS X for the controller, connecting the two by using NFS. I'm sure that part is working fine, and that all the privaleges are right. But it still seems to be having problems writing and reading the job and ack files. Sometimes it does read and write those, but the Mac still never sees it as a node.

(I'm using RedHat 8.)

NewTek- How did you get this to work?

Heffalump
    build_ext3 seems to be responsible for creating the lwext3.cfg file with all the plugins. Not sure, but they may be expecting early delivering of screamernet only plugins from 3rd party vendors.

I still get the segmentation error here - what exactly do I need to do to get the node up and running? I expected that running either script would simply stick the system into wait mode for incoming jobs.

Newbie Member
    -snip- (Copy of my post from the linux rendernode feature request thread)
    I have tried running the node with '/usr/share/lwsn-7.5b/runsn2.sh -d/mnt/Samba_Grp_Lan/Lightwave/Content/Misc/ /mnt/Samba_Grp_Lan/Lightwave/ScreamerNet/job2 /mnt/Samba_Grp_Lan/Lightwave/ScreamerNet/ack2'

It does register as a rendernode on the Windows machine, but as posted above, it'll then try to find a drive G: when rendering starts. Drive G is the same Samba-share as the one mounted under '/mnt/Samba_Grp_Lan', but only on the Windows side where LW is running. The '-d' command seems to be ignored.

--

And for those of you who want to run the node through wine, here's a command that you can use to have a KDE shortcut on your desktop:
    'konsole -e wine -- "C:\Program Files\Lightwave\Programs\LWSN.exe" -2 -cG:\\Lightwave\\Configs -dG:\\Lightwave\\Content\\Misc G:\\Lightwave\\ScreamerNet\\job2 G:\\Lightwave\\ScreamerNet\\ack2'
    You'll have to put your Samba-share into the wine config under '~/.wine/config' for it to work.
    The entry would be
    [Drive G]
    "Path" = "/mnt/Samba_Grp_Lan"
    "Type" = "hd"
    "Label" = "LAN"
    "Filesystem" = "win95"

in my case.
    Of course, all plugins and scripts will have to reside on the network drive as well, and they have to be entered with the network path in the various LW config files.
    -snap-

Newbie Member

After saving your scene file, you can open it in a text editor and look for the file paths. They should all be something like "objects/spaceships/coolspaceship.lwo" as opposed to "g:\lightwave\content\objects\spaceships\
    coolspaceship.lwo"
    I understand what you are going for, but I still have two concerns.
    First, the node already tries to search for drive G when it is supposed to load the scenefile. So I'm not even getting to the point where the objects are loaded because it can't find the scenefile.
    Second, having to manually edit the scenefile is not really a great solution in the long term. This is not your fault though - more that of NT

Originally posted by markus
    It does register as a rendernode on the Windows machine, but as posted above, it'll then try to find a drive G: when rendering starts.
    On Mac OS X it does NOT register, did NewTek even test this on a Mac?

This better be fixed when they rerelease 7.5b for the mac.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast