Thread: 32 thread monster pc for a few bucks!!

Exclamation 32 thread monster pc for a few bucks!!

Dear LightWave users,

recently I came across this article on the internet titled: Building a 32-Thread Xeon Monster PC for Less Than the Price of a Flagship Core i7

This triggered me in building such a machine, so I got myself 2 Xeon E52670 processors on Ebay (for $180,-) and started my build.
    The results are magnificent, looking at LightWave rendering with 32 threads for this price is just exciting to see!

I thought I should share this with you Lightwave users, and maybe you can benefit as well...
    http://www.techspot.com/review/1155-...-dual-xeon-pc/

Happy rendering!
    Ruud Zeelenberg

WizzArt Animations

Yeah, I thought of that myself when I built my current rig last summer. But for one thing getting two core motherboards is close to impossible in Sweden. So I settled for a more up to date CPU + motherboard. So it would be easier to replace if anything happened.

But while on the subject of building things. Here is an interesting thing I noticed regarding the NVME SSDs. They degrade far quicker than standard SSDs. Yesterday I did a cycles check (like I normally do about once per year) and found out that the entire storage area, had its ability noticeably degraded. Still OK, but the statistics told me that it will begin having faulty sections within 3 years of current operation level. I was chocked by that. But then I realized that the added temperature from the motherboard, and the close proximity of the GPU, probably is a culprit. So keep that in mind if you're having (or building) a setup, with one (or more) of those built in SSDs

I thought it worth noticing, since some of my applications have node locks that react to changes of the harddrive (like it being replaced ) and you could end up with a locked license out of the blue. I really hate HW locks... it is so.. (fill in the blanks) Anyway (again) thought it worth mentioning.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 02-16-2017 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ruud View Post
    Dear LightWave users,

recently I came across this article on the internet titled: Building a 32-Thread Xeon Monster PC for Less Than the Price of a Flagship Core i7

This triggered me in building such a machine, so I got myself 2 Xeon E52670 processors on Ebay (for $180,-) and started my build.
    The results are magnificent, looking at LightWave rendering with 32 threads for this price is just exciting to see!

I thought I should share this with you Lightwave users, and maybe you can benefit as well...
    http://www.techspot.com/review/1155-...-dual-xeon-pc/

Happy rendering!

Looks very Positive.

Could U please post some Lightwave Render times ?

Render times are dependent on the scene, you should do what I did, watch the benchmarks for this configuration, from there on you can make your own estimation compared to your current system ;-)
    Ruud Zeelenberg

WizzArt Animations

Quote Originally Posted by ruud View Post
    Render times are dependent on the scene, you should do what I did, watch the benchmarks for this configuration, from there on you can make your own estimation compared to your current system ;-)
    Hi Rudd, in LW11.5 content > benchmarkmarbles .lws that's the puppy !

I should have referred you to there's 37 pages on the thread and I am

sure that they; the posters; would also like to see your results too.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....nder-time-here

Page One has a link to the above. lws put their by Miss Celshader ( jen.H.) herself.

The thing with the marbles scene is that it wasn't designed for LW2015, Importance sampling didn't exist. Probably just turning off Importance sampling would give you accurate times to compare, because with it on it takes longer. (importance sampling speeds renders by allowing you to use lower settings, but with the same settings it takes longer)

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    The thing with the marbles scene is that it wasn't designed for LW2015, Importance sampling didn't exist. Probably just turning off Importance sampling would give you accurate times to compare, because with it on it takes longer. (importance sampling speeds renders by allowing you to use lower settings, but with the same settings it takes longer)

Damn, your'e Right Danner,

It's Another thing that LW3DG

will have to update in CONTENT: NeXt

Thanks for the reminder!