Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MODO Item List Mode Option for LightWave artists

MODO Item List Mode Option for LightWave artists

This video is a brief overview of the three different Item List modes in MODO. The last option is a perfect fit for LightWave artists wanting a familiar layer setup.

http://www.pixelfondue.com/blog/2017...t-mode-options

Yep they have done a terrific job with the UI. This malleability is what LW needs.

I remember the first time I discovered I could make the MODO layers look like LightWave I was a very happy camper

Looks Nice, never used it though. i agree, the LW Ui needs an overhaul.

not sure if they are putting more energy into getting Layout's GUI re-written, using Quicktroll or such. hard to say.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Always disliked the little row of foreground background layers dots at the top of the screen, can not begin to describe my overwhelming sense of relief when I discovered F7 brought up layers panel, I opened it inLW 7.5b and haven't closed it since, and whats wrong with LW's front end, its not the GUI that worry me it's the tools or lack of really good ones that concern me the most.

Come on William.. This is the LightWave forums not the Modo forums..

That said, you are the tutorial master!
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    CRO - Chief Relationship Officer
    [email protected]
    http://www.newtek.com

Follow NewTek on Twitter!
    @PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by pnelson View Post
    Fully understand... LIghtWave user was asking about this so I thought others might like it as well.

happy to see notes on improvements, we post Blender / Maya/ Houdini stuff here as well.

should be in the Future request forum, but no biggie ihmo.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_g View Post
    its not the GUI that worry me it's the tools or lack of really good ones that concern me the most.
    agree, still, it's a worthy note to the LWG Ui Designer.

i guess LW Gui Design ideas could have it's own thread.
    Last edited by erikals; 02-14-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamVaughan View Post
    Fully understand... LIghtWave user was asking about this so I thought others might like it as well.
    Please don't stop

Reco

Quote Originally Posted by pnelson View Post
    And if LW3DG mgmt. were posting info here regarding Lightwave, we'd be discussing it. But they aren't, so...
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Yeah, LW3DG would be well served to solve the communication problem, and manage expectations, regardless of when the next version will be done, because things have gotten a bit weird. The future has become so cloudy, that even hard core users are starting to plot potential road maps, that involve switching packages. It becomes a necessity if you don't know if a package will still be around in the future, with modern features set at least. You don't want to be left behind in this business. All the work to make LW fit into, and be compatible with pipelines, and now LW3DG are inviting people to work out pipelines that don't involve LW, with this silence. We get one of these "how to switch to: Modo, Blender, C4D, Houdini, posts every other week on the LW forum. I'm grateful for the info, as I do have interest in these other packages, and I like that these forums are open and largely unregulated that way, but how can I put this... There's blood in the water and the sharks are circling, there's a fox in the hen house, some dude is hanging around your girlfriend, and you keep ignoring her... There's a lesson in there somewhere.

BTW, I'm sure WV's motives are pure. He's one of the best teachers of 3D period. Just agreeing with jwiede, that the focus being on other software in the forum is a LW3DG problem that could and should be addressed right away. Communication, not a drop from the sky release, that they think will make everything better, after that girlfriend is already married to that other guy with two kids, never to return, is what is needed.

I want to add one thing. Pnelson is in the right to say something. WV has had a (business??? not sure if pay was involved) relationship with Newtek as a LW ambassador in the past, and is a guy we all look up to. I think this was totally inadvertent on his part, but... This tip is not a tip to help LW users use LW, or emulate some functionality that exists in modo, using a node set up in LW, or to use LW with Modo, or demonstrate a technique. It is a a one way tip to ease the transition to a competitor's product. If the tip came in the context of another UI discussion, okay, but in this context, it is inappropriate given his past role IMHO, and this not being the modo forum. As much as I like the openness of these forums, I would nuke this thread if I were the moderator, but only after Rob Powers reads the bitching about LW3DG's communication problems;-) Sorry William, I just thought pnelson had a legit point, and that should not get lost in my complaining about the communication thing.

Nah.....if it had been a tip about Blender or Houdini you would have heard diddlysquat....but Modo? That's a whole nother matter. Funny that the users should get over Core, while they (LWG) are so touchy and sensitive about the Luxology exodus.Maybe it is time to get over it?
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 02-15-2017 at 07:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    I think this was totally inadvertent on his part, but... This tip is not a tip to help LW users use LW, or emulate some functionality that exists in modo, using a node set up in LW, or to use LW with Modo, or demonstrate a technique. It is a a one way tip to ease the transition to a competitor's product. If the tip came in the context of another UI discussion, okay, but in this context, it is inappropriate given his past role IMHO, and this not being the modo forum.
    Yeah maybe, maybe not. That "feature" shown has been a part of modo since its inception so it's not exactly earth shattering anyway. It seems William is in good standing with his former employers so it appears to be all good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast