Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MODO Item List Mode Option for LightWave artists

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    I want to add one thing. Pnelson is in the right to say something.
    If only that something had been news about LW Next. LW2015 implies a LW2016, and they did mention faster release cycle and better communication.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    WV has had a (business??? not sure if pay was involved) relationship with Newtek as a LW ambassador in the past, and is a guy we all look up to.
    Because protons are positively cool!!!

Not that Philip in't cool also, to be fair.

Either way, if there were a blog update, or a statement from NT/LW3D group, or a video or something, we would all be talking about that instead of looking longingly over at new features showing up in competing products. Is there NOTHING new to show? The first LWN Video went up in September 2015. There was the short video in December 2016 on the blog, and the one before that was March 2016. Are we down to 1-2 communication a year or so?

Are we doomed to turn into forum masochists who show tutorials on competing products just to get SOME attention from LW3DG (even if it is 'negative' attention)?

Even a post about log term bugs being squashed ("Hey, we killed this, this, and this. LWN now crashing 23.5% less often") would be encouraging.

But I did get to play with a trickster recently. The thing is wicked cool. I want one even though I have no use whatsoever. I sure wish I did. I wonder how often they get updates from their group.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Verion... I am definitely not cool and William is extremely cool.. HA!!!
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    CRO - Chief Relationship Officer
    [email protected]
    http://www.newtek.com

Follow NewTek on Twitter!
    @PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

Are we down to 1-2 communication a year or so?
    not quite, blog posts are every 3-4 months.

Lino & Matt gives an 'Hello' on Facebook LightWiki every now and then
    and there is a LW NewsLetter each month.

that's how it is, not too different from the old NT marketing (or lack of it) around 2000.

the comfort, many companies behave the same way.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedpup View Post
    Nah.....if it had been a tip about Blender or Houdini you would have heard diddlysquat....but Modo? That's a whole nother matter. Funny that the users should get over Core, while they (LWG) are so touchy and sensitive about the Luxology exodus.Maybe it is time to get over it?
    Doesn't matter what the competing product is to me.. I wonder if any other commercial software developer would allow you to post competing tutorials! Has anyone seen this supported by LightWave's competitors?

One of the things I like most about working for NewTek is how much NewTek values it's COMMUNITY.. For the most part, we try to be pretty open and not go into moderating madness.
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    CRO - Chief Relationship Officer
    [email protected]
    http://www.newtek.com

Follow NewTek on Twitter!
    @PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

I use the full Layer window in modeler but it does lack some much wanted functionality that item list in Modo has. The ability to be able to shift select multiple layers in modeler is long overdue. I actually use MODO for this on some models that have a huge amount of layers because it's way to tedious to do in Modeler. It's changes like this that would really help Lightwave feel modern and not so aged.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pnelson View Post
    Doesn't matter what the competing product is to me.. I wonder if any other commercial software developer would allow you to post competing tutorials! Has anyone seen this supported by LightWave's competitors?

One of the things I like most about working for NewTek is how much NewTek values it's COMMUNITY.. For the most part, we try to be pretty open and not go into moderating madness.
    I post LightWave videos on the MODO forums, MODO Slack boards, MODO Skype channel and MODO Beta Forums all the time. This week I shared a couple including Ryan's camera tools. No one seemed to have issue with it. I shared a MAYA video this morning as well.

The whole reason I shared this video here... and to be honest... made the video to begin with was for LightWave artsits. (https://community.foundry.com/discus...-how-to-create)

I show that feature to LW artists on a regular basis when they want to use MODO like LW. Seemed fitting to post it on LW boards. Similar to if someone was asking for a LW to Zbrush pipeline. I dont know anyone other then LW artists that use the item list in small mode.

I also love reading the other posts on the NewTek boards that are about other tools like Zbrush. It just seems MODO is a touchy subject for some here on these boards. If NewTek has issue with it all I need is the word... I have no issue playing by the rules.

If 60 seconds of shared knowledge truly upsets someone I have no issue refraining from posting here.

Last edited by WilliamVaughan; 02-17-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pnelson View Post
    Then this thread should be a thorn in your eye.....http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....644-Houdini-16....but for some reason (see my previous post) it isn't.....
    And I remember having seen both Blender and Houdini tutorials (just for starters) over at Foundrology but the search function isn't implemented on the new forum yet AFAIK...
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 02-17-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Then this thread should be a thorn in your eye.....http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....644-Houdini-16....but for some reason (see my previous post) it isn't.....
    And I remember having seen both Blender and Houdini tutorials (just for starters) over at Foundrology but the search function isn't implemented on the new forum yet AFAIK...

You might be thinking of this thread for Blender.
    https://community.foundry.com/discus...ff-2-7x-is-out

Its been there for around 6 years + and is very active.

Love to see some Blender tutorials from you William. Can't think of anyone better to break it down for people.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Love to see some Blender tutorials from you William. Can't think of anyone better to break it down for people.
    I haven't tried Blender is 1999. Might have to add it to my list of things to do for the year .

I'd think you'd really enjoy a lot of the modeling tools and especially the modifiers. Anyways... My point being that you have a way of breaking things down for people. And especially for LightWave users who have trouble getting their head around Blender. It is another program that compliments LightWave very well. It even has support for .lwo import as well as .mdd. And there are people who have sorted taking fluid sims into LightWave. I am sure you are aware of most of this.

But are there also Lightwave tutorials at the Foundry forums ? It is quite an interesting thought to consider to what extent the different softwares are actually competing with each other. I think Autodesk would be sweating over the Houdini 16 release much more than Newtek, but I would have thought there is more jostling between Lightwave and Modo. Also, is it fair to suggest that Modo has made a few roadmap clangers here and there ? I'm afraid I would rather repent all my sins and face 3DCoat. (Please take this post with a pinch of humour).
    Last edited by TheLexx; 02-17-2017 at 07:38 PM.

At this point, I honestly don't know what the big deal is. I use both LightWave and Modo. And it wasn't someone posting about Modo on the LW boards that made me adopt Modo in the first place. People are going to use what works for them. To be honest, I'd like to see more back and forth between apps more often so cheers to you William.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    At this point, I honestly don't know what the big deal is. I use both LightWave and Modo. And it wasn't someone posting about Modo on the LW boards that made me adopt Modo in the first place. People are going to use what works for them. To be honest, I'd like to see more back and forth between apps more often so cheers to you William.
    Exactly. Lots of LW customers also own MODO, and Newtek's failure to significantly improve Modeler for an extended period played much more of a role in that outcome than any forum posts. At this point, the horses have left the barn, and closing the door serves only to prevent and discourage their return.

Seriously, of all the things a member of Newtek/LW3DG upper mgmt. could come and discuss in the forums, this issue seemed the most pressing? Really?
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

I got into modo because it was so similar to lightwave modeler. Right down to how you create weightmaps, etc.
    I might leave lightwave because modo is a modern version of lightwave and lack of communication from newtek. I'm not alone. Many modo users were former lw users that don't care about lw anymore.
    So I can see pnelsons point and fear.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast