Thread: DP Filter 2015 x64 - Bloom node crashing

DP Filter 2015 x64 - Bloom node crashing

For some reason LightWave crashes everytime when I choose "Streaks" in the Bloom node and then hit render. Can anybody confirm this or is there a workaround?
    LightWave 3D 2019 (Win64)

Un-ticking "nodal preview" might help?
    Mike

No, it does not.

As I remember I got a similar report here last year,
    but I wasn't able to reproduce this issue,
    Streaks mode in Bloom node, Image Filter node editor,
    not crashing LW 2015.3 Win64,
    sorry support not possible these days
    because my machine is busy.

Denis.

Thanks for the info Denis. Just for your information, if it helps, all I need to do in order to make it crash is to start with an empty scene, open node image filter and attach the render output to bloom node (streaks) and its output to the final image. Hit F9 and LightWave will crash.
    My system preferences are: Win 10 Pro (64bit), LW 2015.3 (64bit) and the DP Filter 2015 (64bit)

Quote Originally Posted by SaT View Post
    ...Hit F9 and LightWave will crash.
    My system preferences are: Win 10 Pro (64bit), LW 2015.3 (64bit) and the DP Filter 2015 (64bit)
    Still no crash here, but I can't test with windows 10,

I modified the "Streaks" code, fixing a possible issue,
    I updated the DPFilter 2015 windows versions,
    let me know if you still get this crash.

Denis.

New version works fine here. So did the old one AFAIK.

Thanks for the update and your effort to fix this.
    I have tested the latest version of DP Filter 2015 (x64) but streaks do not seem to work, at least for me.
    So instead of using it on an empty scene, I created one of those standard cubes within Layout (Modeler Tools). Then I turned off the render preview and surprise, it worked, but only one time. Hitting F9 again and LightWave crashed like before, with or without render preview. I am not able to reproduce this. It never worked after that again.
    I guess the render preview is not the problem, it was just coincidence in my opinion.
    Last edited by SaT; 03-01-2017 at 11:59 AM.

..Thanks for the update and your effort to fix this.
    I have tested the latest version of DP Filter 2015 (x64) but streaks do not seem to work, at least for me...
    Not sure to follow what you said or what you did,
    what is render preview?
    There's a Nodal Preview option just for speeding settings
    but this doesn't affect rendering,
    effect itself may be not visible with default settings
    depends of the luminosity of the scene.
    about a crash, it must be reproducible,
    a content scene may help,
    but again, as I said above, support is not guaranted.

Denis.

With render preview I referred to the standard LightWave render panel that shows the render progress. If you turn it off in LW preferences you will only get a progress bar while rendering.
    Turning the nodal preview on or off in the bloom node did not have an effect on the issue.

Okay, I will try to reproduce it or create a sample scene.

Thanks.

So I made some further tests but it is not because of a specific scene even if an empty scene is used it fails. The result is it just does not work for me. Sometimes it crashes when I connect the bloom node (already set to streaks) to the output, sometimes it crashes when it is already connected to the output and I change from bloom to streaks (node preview option does not matter if on or off), but most of the times it crashes when I hit F9 and the image finished rendering and LightWave tries to apply the final effect.
    I have tried to remove and re-add the plugin but it did not help. Though I can confirm that the exact same DP_Filter plugin works fine on Windows 7 Pro (64bit).
    Strange that is seems to work on Snosrap's computer (if he is using Windows 10). So it seems I can not really help finding this bug. In case I will find out more, I will let you know. Thanks.

...I have tried to remove and re-add the plugin but it did not help. Though I can confirm that the exact same DP_Filter plugin works fine on Windows 7 Pro (64bit)...
    You may also try fresh config files, make a copy,
    delete them and readd plugin manually.

Denis.

So I made some further tests but it is not because of a specific scene even if an empty scene is used it fails. The result is it just does not work for me. Sometimes it crashes when I connect the bloom node (already set to streaks) to the output, sometimes it crashes when it is already connected to the output and I change from bloom to streaks (node preview option does not matter if on or off), but most of the times it crashes when I hit F9 and the image finished rendering and LightWave tries to apply the final effect.
    I have tried to remove and re-add the plugin but it did not help. Though I can confirm that the exact same DP_Filter plugin works fine on Windows 7 Pro (64bit).
    Strange that is seems to work on Snosrap's computer (if he is using Windows 10). So it seems I can not really help finding this bug. In case I will find out more, I will let you know. Thanks.
    SaT - My previous test above was done at work on Win7 and DP's newest version release. Now I am on my home box (Win7 too) and running some tests and so far so good with an older version of the plugin. I have used these filters quite often and for the most part they have been pretty robust. I know you have said it crashes on an empty scene so that to me indicates its something with cfgs or along those lines. I have had crashes with it, but I think for the most part those have been related to scene size, general memory usage and the use of VIPER with it.

Keep in mind these are post effects so you could just use something like After Effects or Hitfilm. However if you're are like me and really like these effects just render your frames out to your hard drive without any effects and then load the rendered frames back into an empty scene, set up the effects the way you want them, and hit F10. LW will render the frames super fast as it is basically just gonna add the effects!

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    SaT - My previous test above was done at work on Win7 and DP's newest version release. Now I am on my home box (Win7 too) and running some tests and so far so good with an older version of the plugin. I have used these filters quite often and for the most part they have been pretty robust. I know you have said it crashes on an empty scene so that to me indicates its something with cfgs or along those lines. I have had crashes with it, but I think for the most part those have been related to scene size, general memory usage and the use of VIPER with it.

Keep in mind these are post effects so you could just use something like After Effects or Hitfilm. However if you're are like me and really like these effects just render your frames out to your hard drive without any effects and then load the rendered frames back into an empty scene, set up the effects the way you want them, and hit F10. LW will render the frames super fast as it is basically just gonna add the effects!
    Thanks for your help. I followed your advice and rebuilt the config files but it did not help. The problem persists. It almost seems to be a Windows 10 related problem. Like I said before it works on Windows 7 for me, too.

It almost seems to be a Windows 10 related problem.
    Weird. Sorry I can't help any further.