Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Renderer for Exterior Arch Viz Shots

Renderer for Exterior Arch Viz Shots

In anyone's opinion, is there a renderer available for LW that gives the look of what I assume is a Vray renderer - examples can be seen here:

http://renderingofarchitecture.com/a...pment-mallorca

I use the XFrog trees and various grass/plant resources, but struggle to get the finish seen in these shots with the native renderer and SunSky.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Exteriors - octane
    Interiors - kray
    You can achieve acceptable results with lightwave though a bit slower render times. But if you have several dozen computers lightwave unlimited rendernodes can keep up with speed.

Thanks samurai_x, I'd thought about looking at Octane in the past (last summer in fact) but having seen a beta of LW Next demo the new PBR surfacing module I thought I'd wait as I assumed it wasn't far away. I think I need to stop prevaricating and just bite the bullet if I'm to keep up.

Cheers, that's a great help
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Also, indirectly, you can use Thea render, which is really fast and has a substance to studio importer.

Another option are Maxwell studio and Guerrilla render, last one is free for one workstation and project. All these options work exporting and importing objects or scene.

Regards
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Might be worth waiting for LW next (how far off can it be?)... though much of the look (both there ad in other renderers) is to do with proper observance of PBR norms, which you CAN do in current LW just fine...

LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Might be worth waiting for LW next (how far off can it be?)... though much of the look (both there ad in other renderers) is to do with proper observance of PBR norms, which you CAN do in current LW just fine...

So color highlits can be used as metalness?

Edit:Sorry, don't want to steal the thread.

Salvador Ureņa

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    yes.. since thats all that "metalness" is... the lack of a diffuse reflection (and the associated diffuse colour), and instead the presence of a purely specular reflection (which has colour in metals but not in dielectrics).
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    And don't forget,
    As the studios MIR and LUXIGON say, architectural vusualisation is 30% 3D rendering and 70% Photoshop!
    For me, it's Octane for exterior and interiors, but i've 6 Titan X.

But pmc is not trully bidirectional, isn't it? What about lots of small light sources in interiors?

Salvador Ureņa

Exactly RebelHill - I've been waiting since last summer, but I need to bite that bullet now. I'll set myself a project of reworking an exterior shot in Octane, to see how much is me and how much is the software. Foliage is the the biggie for me, but I suspect I need to get to grips with nodes in order to get the best results.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Might be worth waiting for LW next (how far off can it be?)
    Do you know something we don't?
    Looks like a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by kopperdrake View Post
    Exactly RebelHill - I've been waiting since last summer, but I need to bite that bullet now. I'll set myself a project of reworking an exterior shot in Octane, to see how much is me and how much is the software. Foliage is the the biggie for me, but I suspect I need to get to grips with nodes in order to get the best results.
    Keep in mind with octane you need at least 3 highend videocards. You'll be working from scratch, too with octane.

For exterior, Octane is brilliant. It is more than just the PBR-ish workflow and the speed. The thing that got me hooked was the interactivity - like a matured version of fprime and the fact that your preview is 100% the same as the final render. You can even interactively preview the DOF, the AO and all the render passes all in one go.

On the downside, it is a big investment in time and effort.

1. You have to learn its logic which is different from LW native renderer. I only need a couple of days to get going but it takes me a few months before I feel confident in getting the look that I want - in terms of texturing, lighting, HDRI,l getting rid of noise etc. But once you get it, it is a pretty robust system.

2. You need to redo ALL the materials - no two way about it.

3. Need to get those CUDAs. I am using dual 980ti which is quite cost effective. It is totally worth it though - like having 10 mid range Xeons working all at once.

Conclusion - I do mainly archvis and I find Octane works really well.

This is the problem I suspect - arch viz is only a part of what I do - I'm the absolute definition of a generalist. I downloaded it yesterday and had a quick play - and then realised a quick play isn't what's needed, the depth of learning is something you absolutely need to be sure that you want to go that route. And the libraries I've built up over time are so vast that the thought of redoing them all for another renderer, when LW Next might be released any day with its own PBR renderer, makes me realise why I put learning Octane off last year. It's a tough decision to make but I have to make it, so we'll see. I'm reasonably happy with LW's external renderer, if I could crack the foliage thing I'd personally be happy, and I've seen a thread on it on the forum http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....slucency-again

However, when clients are looking at the typical arch viz renders pumped out by other packages, I do think I need to learn another renderer.

The CUDAs don't worry me, or getting cards - it's the lack of time more than anything, and choosing the wrong direction.

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Octane exterior rendering 5000 X 3500 px - Pathtracing 8000 - 2H20

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RENDU_ANNECY_OCTANE_060217_WEB.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	135932

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast