Thread: Blackmagic Studio 4k Camera coming into TalkShow VS100 at only 4:3 640x480 or 320x240

Blackmagic Studio 4k Camera coming into TalkShow VS100 at only 4:3 640x480 or 320x240

I'm having trouble with a Skype guest that has a Blackmagic Production Camera 4K PL connected to an iMac over Thunderbolt. They also tried SDI, although I'm not sure how they brought that into their iMac. They've tried all the different settings on the camera and our TalkShow only sees their regular (latest) Skype client as 4:3 640x480 or 320x240.

Does anyone have any experience connecting a Blackmagic camera over regular Skype to a TalkShow?

Thanks,
    Rob

I don't think your issue is the camera, but the network connection between the two systems. Is it showing up as Relay or just UDP? If it is Relay, you will not get maximum resolution, as Skype limits the bandwidth in these cases. You can try forcing Skype to use a port setup in your router which might allow the direct connection.

Some of the information in here might help. https://download.skype.com/share/bus...tors-guide.pdf

Here are some other good resources.
    http://www.newtek.com/images/talksho...twork_Tips.pdf
    http://www.newtek.com/images/talksho...LN-2015-V2.pdf
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Kane,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's the network as we had a solid 25ms Round Trip and Jitter in the 30ms range. The Transport was UDP and status good.

I forgot to mention that they Skyped one of our Laptops and the screen was 16:9 although I'm not sure what resolution they were coming in at. It did look closer to 720p.

I'll log a service request and see if they can figure out what's happening.

Thanks again,
    Rob

I'm not sure then. If you are getting UDP then it typically will go up to 720p resolution without much effort, it can take a minute or two before it gets to this level. Do both sides have enough bandwidth to support higher resolution calls?

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1...oes-skype-need
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Kane, They have 40 Mbps up and at least that down and I have 70/70 Fiber. The interesting thing to me is that we only get a 4:3 aspect ratio connection to the TalkShow. I've never seen anyone connect at 4:3 so it makes me think it's some interaction between their camera and Skype client. I'll call Ozzy this morning and see if we can find a mutual time when one of his support engineers can have a look while the customer and I do a connection test.

Thanks...
    Rob

Skype supports a variety of resolutions, some 16x9 and some 4x3 and will step between them based on bandwidth. There are controls in TalkShow to force the output of the system to always be 16x9 or 4x3, however this is only an output format change. It will not affect the transmission between the systems, which could still be occurring at a 4x3 aspect.
    Last edited by kanep; 02-09-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Their camera is outputting 16:9. Are there log files that would tell us what the TalkShow is seeing?

Wouldn't 25ms Round Trip and Jitter in the 30ms range indicate that there isn't a bandwidth issue? They are just north of San Francisco and we are in Seattle.

Support suggested we Skype an iPhone to the TalkShow and it quickly ramped up to 1280x720. So it suggests that it's the Camera to iMac Skype.

I did a Skype to TalkShow test from a Windows 10 PC and a Macbook Pro 13 using my PXW-Z150 4K XDCAM connected to a Magewell SDI USB 3.0 HD Capture XI100DUSB SDI Dongle. The TalkShow saw the camera connection at 1280x720 from the PC and Mac.

Thanks John Mahoney and Jose.