Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SpeedEDIT - WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    You do now.

And that's about the crux of it. The NLE market is flat and the time isn't right for a new (or resurrected) product because at the end of the day, the availability and features of the current crop of NLE's are so similar and accessible that unless you bring something to the table that has features "You Didn't Even Know That You Needed" that the competition would need years to catch up on and integrate, you'd just be wasting your time.

Recouping the development costs alone would make the product ridiculously expensive. I remember when NT decided to sell SE 2.x for $995 when you could get Premiere or FCP for under $400. I said then, that it seemed like NT were trying to kill the product. Steve said they weren't, then they killed the product.

I eventually had to jump ship to Lightworks to just get work done and I can't say that it's been a terrible decision. Lightworks has a lot of built-in features that I wish were in SE and vice versa. But it doesn't pay to make it personal, when you have to move on, you have to move on. You just have to do what's best for your business.

I would love to think that this would make a difference, but from a business perspective it's a dead duck. Even with a successful campaign, the only people who would use it are the converted and the price of a standalone SE would be too expensive and I can't see where the growth would come from. What new and innovative features and tools would it introduce? How long would it take to implement these amazing new innovative features that have never been seen before? No, all that we'd get is an update that brings SE into the 21st century and that's not enough.

Potential new users are already invested in their current tools that offer more than SE gives, to ask them to jump to SE just to get what they already have once it eventually catches up? I can't see that working out too well for NT and there's not enough current SE users to give it a long term future.

The NLE market's plateaued out.
    I see lots of posts in the video forums online from people wanting to change to a new NLE..either going from Final Cut X to Premier or visa versa...The reason they say is because they want to speed up their editing.
    Most seem to say that Final Cut is faster than Premier. Premier is not fast but it is feature rich. If another option popped up that was marketed as something that could boost productivity over the others people might bite for the right price. Magix purchased Sony Vegas so they must feel that they can make money in the NLE market

Beauty of Kickstarter. Test the waters. Never know if you don't try. I might be overestimating the number of disgruntled users resentful of mandatory subscription.

I have Vegas and Resolve but prefer to work with SE because of its speed, simplicity and power. I'm also one user who won't go near mandatory subscription software.

Quote Originally Posted by Richvideo View Post
    If another option popped up that was marketed as something that could boost productivity over the others people might bite for the right price.
    I was a big fan of SE, so am sympathetic ... but I am also contemplating the reaction of a board of directors to the propose development of a product aimed at a narrow market niche based on the hope that 'some people might bite for the right price'. I'm afraid I need to stand by my initial remark - "I would not want to suggest any optimism on this score."
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I really liked working in Speed Edit.

I guess it was the way you could easly add color correction, animate positioning, add shadows, blur, color keys, fades. All this to stacked multiple layers and just hit play WITHOUT RENDERING! Pure magic (if you had the right rig). I tried every other editing software and I still prefered it. But it was also frustrating when it didn't support a format, or skipped frames or did some other weird thing like crash on a simple title.

Couldn't NT just sell off SE the way Sony sold off all of its creative software to Magix? Or is it because it would be too similar to what is bundled with TC?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    Couldn't NT just sell off SE the way Sony sold off all of its creative software to Magix? Or is it because it would be too similar to what is bundled with TC?
    Just for clarity, an NLE has not been bundled with TriCaster for several years now. I don't know whether a sale of the technology would be considered or not; I daresay an offer to purchase it would be considered politely, but I can't speak to the likelihood of success.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

must SpeedEDIT...

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I was a big fan of SE, so am sympathetic ... but I am also contemplating the reaction of a board of directors to the propose development of a product aimed at a narrow market niche based on the hope that 'some people might bite for the right price'. I'm afraid I need to stand by my initial remark - "I would not want to suggest any optimism on this score."
    NARROW MARKET!!?!?!?!?

Everybody and their mother wants to edit videos these days....and every professional needs a great editing program... - s

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

I agree with Shawn. There is a need for a simple to use, fast, and powerful editor. I don't see someone's mother using Vegas or Resolve to edit videos - I can see her using SE. I use all three but will be firing up SE in a few minutes to edit my next project since my time in post on this project is limited.

I feel the same way. I wander around, trying and editing with so many others, but there's - still - nothing out there like SpeedEdit.

Stunning how NewTek would just discontinue such a product: the stellar legacy of Video Toaster just left to fade into the dust bin of history. NewTek should've sold it to someone who would've preserved and advanced it for all those who love it.

Such a cryin' shame...

- - - Updated - - -

Preach it, Shawn Farrell...

Good points

SpeedEdit has a loyal base. This loyalty didn't grow out of a vacuum; it came as the result of a quality product. There's no reason that this base couldn't expand if more creative types became aware of this product. And now there's a worldwide market editing everything from home videos, to amateur movies, to wedding footage, to Youtube instructional videos and music videos, to Vimeo vids, to professional-level anime: video editing is used everywhere.

And wouldn't you know it, just when video editing started becoming this big thing, NewTek SE faded out. Bad timing.

I hear all of you. I just built my latest Video Editing machine with all SSDs, i7, 32 GB Ram, etc. Maxed out and it is the first one that I will not even load SE on. I had it on my last Windows 10 machine and had no real issues but it is falling out of date, especially with the codecs. I swtiched to Vegas Platinum and while some things are easy, many are not, especially the cumberson pan\crop stuff. I loved those splines and nodes in SE. I was lightning fast using it. I do not understand their decision to discontinue it. They are so focused on live IP based productions.

They should do what Cakewalk Sonar (midi\audio editing) did. I have used Cakewalk since the 90s. At the end of last year, they announced the product would be discontinued. All of a sudden a few weeks back, it was announced that another company took it over and is developing it for the future AND allowed a free download of it for a while. SE Source Code exists. If Newtek has no desire to continue developing it, why not sell to a competitor? It was such a great product and they are throwing it away.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123