Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SpeedEDIT - WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    NewTek doesn't own Aura anymore...
    This is incorrect. I'll not comment on the rest.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by animlab View Post
    There are few issues of SpeedEdit need a good upgrade:
    1. When a project become big (say about over 500 cuts), SpeedEdit's undo/redo system become very sllow due to project file is huge for every movement to save into undo-redo directory.
    2. The same thing happen when loading a huge project (just few mega byte project file with few hundred cuts), too slow to load project, especially with icon view in storyboard mode.
    3. We need a 64 bit version of SpeedEdit. I am suffering with low memory issues of current SpeedEdit version. A normal editing project might need 1-2 GB ram. When it come to rendering, an extra 1-2GB required. If I try multiple rendering, SE just sit there and die.
    4. New camera format support.

My wish list for SE would be

1- Ability to import 4K footage, it can do 2k but Doc Cross said it is not coded for 4k so that is why 4K crashes it out.

2- 4k will not work unless the program is complied as a 64-bit app

3-The FX engine needs a re-work to provide better, more modern HD transitions like you would find in the NewBlue FX collections

4- The ability to make use of OFX plugins https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenFX_(API)

https://www.toolfarm.com/compatibility/3733

5- PluralEyes plugin support with a Multi Cam editing feature similar to the one in Vegas 14

6- For Newtek to work out a deal with Pegasys to bundle its encoding software into SE so we can export to any format with quality results and the ability to access GPU rendering to dramatically speed up the rendering process for h.264/h.265 files (NEVEC Encoding) http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tvmw6.html

7-Proxy editing to smooth out multicam and 4K playback on the timeline

I don't think that much more would be needed as the program is a solid bread and butter NLE already. Just giving it solid plugin in support could make SE shine again

As I have mentioned a while back maybe Newtek could do a Kickstarter to come up with the funds to pay a Newtek programmer to do some updates in his/her spare time..send out a email to all registered users and see what happens
    Last edited by Richvideo; 05-30-2017 at 02:49 AM.

Great ideas. Since NewTek still owns Aura, how about updating Aura and connecting it with SE.

Would love to see SE relaunched in 64 bit. I think the timing and the market is right.

The ideal time to update SE was back when Final Cut Pro updated, to "iMovie 10", or when Adobe Premiere went subscription. At both points, people were left looking for a viable alternative to an affordable, full featured, NLE. I always wanted to try SE, because all I ever heard was that it was great, but then when I was in the market, it seemed like development stopped. Now there are a few free alternatives that are at least decent. Still, there is a market for SE. If it is still in use for the tricaster, then anyone with a tricaster, might want to be able to put SE on some other laptops and workstations, for other operators to put together packages and whatnot. The tricaster seems to be the backbone of a lot of studios, so SE has an "in" if it is bundled with the TC. They should be able to sell a decent amount of copies.

Mr. Bowie commented the NT still owns Aura, but it looks like TVpaint may have licensed the underlying tech to them? So if NT wants to make a new version of Aura, would they have to license the new version of TVP? Is that the hang-up? Or, does NT own everything they need to do their own update if they wanted to? Just wondering.

An updated SE and Aura combo would be very attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    ... does NT own everything they need to do their own update if they wanted to?
    Yes. That said, and bearing in mind that we do not generally comment on future development plans, I would not want to suggest any optimism on this score - sorry.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Yes. That said, and bearing in mind that we do not generally comment on future development plans, I would not want to suggest any optimism on this score- sorry.
    Thanks for the clarification. I understand that these products have to be profitable to keep going. It seems like NT has made a suite of programs people really love, and stopped work on them before they had a chance to really catch on with people beyond the video toaster users. It is unfortunate, because NT products really seem to have an intelligence behind them, and a richness of features, that is hard to find, with ease of use. If they were maintained they might find their rightful place in the industry as common tools.

I am reminded of a time when I was demoing Mirage (which, if you're not aware, was sort of a successor to Aura from another company working with TVP) at NAB some years back, and had occasion to speak with an important board member returning to our booth after walking the floor all day. He remarked "Thank god we're not developing an NLE!". Sad, but true.

Developing software is expensive, and the best returns these days are on applications that run on your phone and cost a couple of bucks. An attempt to carve out a competitive position playing truly serious catch-up in a field no longer crowded (the herd having been thinned to leave virtually only the biggest players) is not a thing I'd personally want to be investing in.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I am reminded of a time when I was demoing Mirage (which, if you're not aware, was sort of a successor to Aura from another company working with TVP) at NAB some years back, and had occasion to speak with an important board member returning to our booth after walking the floor all day. He remarked "Thank god we're not developing an NLE!". Sad, but true.

Developing software is expensive, and the best returns these days are on applications that run on your phone and cost a couple of bucks. An attempt to carve out a competitive position playing truly serious catch-up in a field no longer crowded (the herd having been thinned to leave virtually only the biggest players) is not a thing I'd personally want to be investing in.
    Lightworks does not seem to be having any problems staying in the game

And I wish them the very best; yet I don't personally know a single individual who actually uses it (presumably present company excepted).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

And I wish them the very best; yet I don't personally know a single individual who actually uses it (presumably present company excepted).
    Neither do I but they keep on pushing along with updates for 25 years, SE actually has/had a base and it was dropped like a rock after Newtek finished using us as beta testers/fundraisers for the Tricaster IMHO

Before they closed the door on us they should have given us a 64bit version of SE
    Last edited by Richvideo; 05-31-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richvideo View Post
    Neither do I but they keep on pushing along with updates for 25 years, SE actually has/had a base and it was dropped like a rock after Newtek finished using us as beta testers/fundraisers for the Tricaster IMHO
    I will just say that - while you are of course welcome to draw conclusions as you like - if the development effort required to pull SE forward (even fully into the HD realm, much less an era of 4K), showed reasonable potential from a business perspective, we'd already be doing it. There are only so many places a relatively small company can devote its resources.

I wouldn't agree SE 'was dropped like a rock', though. And SE contributed little toward fund TC. It appeared in various manifestations on VT and TC before ever being 'liberated', and then passed through years of development as a standalone before and during the onset of the shift to HD ... which transition was quite some time ago now, to the degree that a fair bit number of today's NLE users arrived after it happened. Resurrecting SE, with all that entails ... I doubt many clearly understand how much effort and expense that would require, with chances of a payoff precious slim. The work could be done, obviously, but at considerable expense. The possibility of the investment being profitable in a commensurate degree is much, much lower, imho.

Just yesterday, I was wishing for an updated version of IFX, what a great tool ... but alas - wishes and horses. Sometimes you just have to move on.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Kickstarter. Put the goal at 1 million or 3 million or whatever NewTek needs to develop a 64 bit SE. Push a perpetual license for the "fastest editor". Even if NewTek does not hit the goal the campaign would still serve as peripheral marketing for Tricaster.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richvideo View Post
    Lightworks does not seem to be having any problems staying in the game
    You do now.

I will just say that - while you are of course welcome to draw conclusions as you like - if the development effort required to pull SE forward (even fully into the HD realm, much less an era of 4K), showed reasonable potential from a business perspective, we'd already be doing it. There are only so many places a relatively small company can devote its resources.
    And that's about the crux of it. The NLE market is flat and the time isn't right for a new (or resurrected) product because at the end of the day, the availability and features of the current crop of NLE's are so similar and accessible that unless you bring something to the table that has features "You Didn't Even Know That You Needed" that the competition would need years to catch up on and integrate, you'd just be wasting your time.

Recouping the development costs alone would make the product ridiculously expensive. I remember when NT decided to sell SE 2.x for $995 when you could get Premiere or FCP for under $400. I said then, that it seemed like NT were trying to kill the product. Steve said they weren't, then they killed the product.

I eventually had to jump ship to Lightworks to just get work done and I can't say that it's been a terrible decision. Lightworks has a lot of built-in features that I wish were in SE and vice versa. But it doesn't pay to make it personal, when you have to move on, you have to move on. You just have to do what's best for your business.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    Kickstarter. Put the goal at 1 million or 3 million or whatever NewTek needs to develop a 64 bit SE. Push a perpetual license for the "fastest editor". Even if NewTek does not hit the goal the campaign would still serve as peripheral marketing for Tricaster.
    I would love to think that this would make a difference, but from a business perspective it's a dead duck. Even with a successful campaign, the only people who would use it are the converted and the price of a standalone SE would be too expensive and I can't see where the growth would come from. What new and innovative features and tools would it introduce? How long would it take to implement these amazing new innovative features that have never been seen before? No, all that we'd get is an update that brings SE into the 21st century and that's not enough.

Potential new users are already invested in their current tools that offer more than SE gives, to ask them to jump to SE just to get what they already have once it eventually catches up? I can't see that working out too well for NT and there's not enough current SE users to give it a long term future.

The NLE market's plateaued out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast