Thread: Facebook Live to a Page not an Account

Facebook Live to a Page not an Account

Hi Folks,

We have a Facebook account which is a page rather than a regular account. We'd like to broadcast from Tricaster to it but when I try to sign in to the Facebook streaming profile of Tricaster the authentication redirection doesn't work.

I've tested it with a regular Facebook account and that works fine but with the Page account it goes through all of the "Allowing Access" screens and bombs out at the end with a 404 from http://www.newtek.com/oauthcallback?#state= (blah blah blah) &access_token= (blah blah blah)

and when you close the window you get the message "0x1ffffff0 Please check your Facebook Account settings".

I'm guessing this is because it's a page and not an account?

Is there a way to get this to work with the plugin? I don't want to have to create an event for each broadcast and having it "automatically" go live is a much better option.

Thanks,

Anthony.

You can stream to Facebook using RTMP. This would use the custom settings instead of the Facebook streaming connection and it does stream to a page. However, I believe these settings are only valid for 24 hours after they have been created.

If you want to look into it, here is a video that shows the process. Also, if you are running Advanced Edition, the little 'StreamID' will make is easier to transfer the RTMP settings from for Facebook computer to the TriCaster.

http://kanelp7.wixsite.com/kanesworld/streamid
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Kane,

Thank for your reply. Yes, I've already found the RTMP settings and the 24h validity was also my stumbling block. The auto creation of new events was the luxury of the native connection. Thanks for your tool too!

I notice that I've managed to post this in the wrong section too.. Not my day.

Ant.

For what it's worth, I've had no issues streaming to a page through the integrated Facebook Live streaming profile.

Hi ctc.

Can I ask what happened when you connected to the account? how long ago did you connect?

Could this just an issue with the Newtek callback?

Ant.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Hunt View Post
    Hi ctc.

Can I ask what happened when you connected to the account? how long ago did you connect?

Could this just an issue with the Newtek callback?

Ant.
    I just clicked the gear next to the stream icon, went down to "New Connection", clicked Facebook, clicked the little gear icon, signed in as myself, and once it's signed in and authenticated there's a "Post live to" dropdown where you can choose your main profile or any groups you're an admin of.

We used it a few weeks ago to show a basketball game and we stream postgame press conference without any issues.

Ahhh, I think that thats the difference. It's authenticating to your regular FB account which has a page. Our setup is trying to authenticate to a Page account. We have personal account set up to manage the page too but we'd all rather not use our personal accounts to host the feed.

Sorry to bump the post, but any update on the Newtek callback?

Thanks,

Ant.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Hunt View Post
    Ahhh, I think that thats the difference. It's authenticating to your regular FB account which has a page. Our setup is trying to authenticate to a Page account. We have personal account set up to manage the page too but we'd all rather not use our personal accounts to host the feed.
    What's the issue with authenticating through a personal facebook account?

Its because we're staff and the system will be used by students. When you post a video (i think) it tags it from the personal account too ie "Anthony Hunt is live on blah blah page". We want that to be the page account as it ties in with the centre and not the individual. We also have the setup issues; ie the same member of staff might be available at all shoots and might not know the plugin setting etc. The student need to be able to just just press stream and have it go out.

Btw, it used to be it's own account but then FB changed it! doh!

Ant.

The only people that see which "account" went live is the admins on the page. For example, if "Bob" goes live on the "Baseball Fans" group, regular viewers would see "Baseball Fans is live!" Other admins on the page would see something like "Baseball Fans is live (published by Bob)"

Does that make sense? If you're still worried about students technically being logged in via your account, I'd suggest making a new facebook account that you could make an admin on the group and then login and authenticate with that account

Ahhhh! That explains it! Thank You! I have a way forward!

I'll create a new account just for that. We have several Skype accounts for that reason too! It saves having a huge address book and clearing them all out every semester!

Thank you!