Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have i been under a rock?

Angry Have i been under a rock?

Pulled out lightwave tonight . Has been some time and looked for updates and no updates? Also tried GO Z with Z brush and really has issues with 2015. Why is this ? I try the same model with 11.6 and no issues....

Nope you're right, no updates. GoZ is buggy, yes. LW3DG is rewriting key components in lightwave ATM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

There you go, one of the incitaments Ivé been ranting about, LW team..get to work with a decent sculpting tool Inside of Lightwave, follow the leads of maya, houdini, cinema4d, modo, blender etc..etc...or stay still.

since LightWave Next hit a big bump, hopefully, since it has taken so long, it will have additional Layout-Modeler features or such.

not impossible...

they did some great things with Chrono, no reason for them not to merge it into Layout.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    they did some great things with Chrono, no reason for them not to merge it into Layout.
    The author (Ikeda) no longer working there seems like a pretty compelling reason, esp. given LW prior history w.r.t. improving "disowned" code (IKB, Relativity, pfx/HV's, etc.).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    There you go, one of the incitaments Ivé been ranting about, LW team..get to work with a decent sculpting tool Inside of Lightwave, follow the leads of maya, houdini, cinema4d, modo, blender etc..etc...or stay still.
    With the exception of mudbox in Maya, all those sculpting solutions are garbage. Lightwave just needs to clean up their act with GoZ.

Zbrush is the way (and then there is 3D COAT). Please do not waste time on sculpting in LW.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    since LightWave Next hit a big bump, hopefully, since it has taken so long, it will have additional Layout-Modeler features or such.

not impossible...

I agree completly..that is the way of the future (not qouting leonardo di caprio in the Aviatkor)
    wouldnīt really have bought in to chronosculpt, got it with the special deal, I still just have tested it briefly..since it doesnīt work inside of lightwave partly.

Quote Originally Posted by Exclaim View Post
    With the exception of mudbox in Maya, all those sculpting solutions are garbage. Lightwave just needs to clean up their act with GoZ.
    disagree completly, blender does indeed have a valuable sculpting tool, not un par with zbrush or mudbox, but I would pay for the blender sculpting features inside of lightwave..with at least the same performance or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Julez4001 View Post
    Zbrush is the way (and then there is 3D COAT). Please do not waste time on sculpting in LW.
    You do not waste time on sculpting in lightwave, nor do I think the lw team does it either.

there are some threads about goz not working, and you can Never...I say Never sculpt in scene context in zbrush, you got to do that in lightwave, you miss scene aspects thay you may need when sculpting..simply put.

I am 100% certain sculpting tools in layout will come, itīs just a matter of time, so why not start walking the road today than tomorrow, and get there earlier rather than becoming even further away from the other apps.

LW sculpting might not be Pri1, but it is definitely needed.

also, time to catch up with Blender.

I'm sorry I just don't see it. Blender allows sculpting, but the superior sculpting tool is Zbrush. Zbrush is a whole different animal, and Lightwave would become sluggish trying to emulate Blender. LW brush is there for little things, but if you're going to sculpt, why not just use Zbrush?

tweaks. many organic models needs tweaking.

for now 3rd Powers is quite good. we wouldn't need much more than that >integrated into LW.
    (yes i did buy them, but i shouldn't have had to)

Blender3D Sculpt > Yes
    LightWave Sculpt > No

Blender3D Lattice > Yes
    LightWave Lattice > No

Blender3D BendyBones > Yes
    LightWave BendyBones > No (though 'doable')

Blender3D Realtime Tools > Yes
    LightWave Realtime Tools > No

...i could go on...
    ..................................and on.... and....

you get the idea. LightWave is faaar behind.
    Last edited by erikals; 02-05-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exclaim View Post
    I'm sorry I just don't see it. Blender allows sculpting, but the superior sculpting tool is Zbrush. Zbrush is a whole different animal, and Lightwave would become sluggish trying to emulate Blender. LW brush is there for little things, but if you're going to sculpt, why not just use Zbrush?
    Depends on what your goal is, if you aim to sculpt in high detail wrinkles and characters, you are better of to work with zbrush ..since that can handle that and you are not bound to scene context sculpting with such focused object.
    If you want to sculpt rocks, cliffs, adjust near other scene items, get full realtime interaction feedback with lights and shadows in the scene...you just canīt work with zbrush in such manner, and everything else would be approximated sculpt work which may need import to lightwave go back and adjust, not good enough go back to zbrush and do it again..over and over because you do not have that scene context editing.

I would really like to have simply sculpt manipulation ..or at least the blender level in lightwave for adjusting mountains then applying lightwave procedural textures on top, sculpt in a road next to tree areas and much much more, you can not use lightwave fractals ..only zbrush fractals or imported bitmap textures, so itīs also a question on taste and what options you would like to have as for detailing the displacements.

also, it comes at additional cost, and additional pain if the I/O bridge isnīt working, but mainly the above said is why I would say no to zbrush to dominate the future of lightwave options of sculpting.
    Zbrush as an additional tool for your high res figures.. is a completly different thing.
    itīs not impossible...in fact it may be a sort of standard to use zbrush for asset content like sculpting rocks ..Then move it to lightwave, but it is still a different thing and doesnīt give you the options that would be possible with a decent sculpt tool directly in lighwave.

let me just add this though, i believe everyone in the LW3D Group will pull LightWave in the right direction.

LightWave's challenges was seen a mile away, but a U turn was impossible.

Development takes time, especially a part-rewrite.
    Last edited by erikals; 02-05-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Sculpting tools should be a part of any modern modeling app. Not even for a complete sculpting workflow like zbrush but even just having things like a move, smoothing or pinch brush is helpful in the modeling process.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Sculpting tools should be a part of any modern modeling app. Not even for a complete sculpting workflow like zbrush but even just having things like a move, smoothing or pinch brush is helpful in the modeling process.

oh yeah, I use sculpting brushes to do simple sub-D mesh edits all the time, very handy. Sometimes we just need a clean simple shape and that is where Sub-D cages fit the bill.

Granted the Zmodeler tool is pretty cool for creating cages but I would rather set up a large scene in a more "traditional" camera setup and model to camera that way. . .in your rendering package.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 02-07-2017 at 07:40 AM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast