Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not another 'Renderer for LW' question?

Not another 'Renderer for LW' question?

Hey all,

After a bit of a hiatus from LW I'm getting back into the groove. I'm predominately a hobbyist for 3D although my profession is in CAD Engineering. I've got the notion to buy/try a 3rd party renderer solution to use with LW, Vue, and ZBrush outputs. Never bothered with an alternate renderer in the past and I'm sure I'm missing out on what they can offer. I enjoy mostly ArchViz type stuff, mainly stills, but also dabble in actual animation when there's time. So out of curiosity what is the flavor of the month/year as far as a good renderer goes for LW work? I will download trials where I can but figured the knowledgeable folk here can save me time from registering on various provider websites just to download their demos.

I'm looking at and reading about Octane, KeyShot, Kray, RedShift, and stumbling across others as I go along. Also have seen various posts about LW Next (?) and possibilities of a new built-in renderer. I'd be looking at eventually buying a stand-alone renderer but would be great if it includes plug-in(s) for the core 3D software.

Thoughts?

TIA...
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

We have Octane and Thea Render. Thea has some unique features. Doesn't have an integrated plugin for LightWave, but does for some other applications.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

for animation, go with Octane

use the LW Octane plugin,

LW2017 might be a year away, so don't bet on that horse.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

I wouldn't buy any third party renderer for now. Not because lw 2017 might be coming out.
    Because none of the current third party renderers are not without significant drawbacks.
    Kray 3 is developing at a slow pace. And its not suited for animation unless its archiviz stuff.
    Octane 3 is more suited for outdoor scenes with generally bright environments. Try to render an indoor shot with mood lighting or tiny sources of light it takes quite long to clean up renders. You also need at least 3 highend gpus which is a big investment for a hobbyist. 1 card for working, 2 cards for rendering.
    If Redshift for lw was around that's what I would consider.

Off topic....a dell workstation with 2 Xeon 2620...2 quadro k 4200 and 64 ram ddr4 how can work as standalone machine for animation?Octane..internal render engine..any suggestion?

Octane is just fine.. it doesn't have a spotlight, but build a spotlight mesh, place the octane area light inside it, parent it to the mesh, and you're good to go. Use the same technique for any other type of light. Although I think they should fix that, because it is annoying. But I've gotten over the 3rd party renderer craze, since I found myself using LW renderer more often than not.

I try to make a renderer plugin for LW in hard way but it is not ready, hope Cycles for Lightwave will be out in late 2017. The problem are there is not much of help in dev so I am solo to make it from now and some slow. When it will make ready maybe you will be more happy to try it as fun

Can't help you i'm afraid. I've only begun using the LWSDK since a day back.. still going through the docs on how to do things. But at least I've gotten the skeleton to compile and run using Orwell.

Do not feel obliged, I will try to get it. Just how to implement some stuff and talk about that.

We are waiting for LW2017 to see what that brings to the mix. If it falls short Octane and Kray will be thoroughly looked into. We mainly do product shots but we also do a lot of interiors.

Well I sure wish also someone would write an exporter or plug-in for luxrender. It was started a few years ago then stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    I wouldn't buy any third party renderer for now. Not because lw 2017 might be coming out.
    Because none of the current third party renderers are not without significant drawbacks.
    Kray 3 is developing at a slow pace. And its not suited for animation unless its archiviz stuff.
    Octane 3 is more suited for outdoor scenes with generally bright environments. Try to render an indoor shot with mood lighting or tiny sources of light it takes quite long to clean up renders. You also need at least 3 highend gpus which is a big investment for a hobbyist. 1 card for working, 2 cards for rendering.
    If Redshift for lw was around that's what I would consider.

Took the words right out of ma mouth (chuckle)

Thanks for all the feedback!

So in a nutshell the recommendations are:

1. Octane
    2. Perhaps Thea or Kray
    3. Wait

The good thing is I never heard of some of the renderers until the replies popped up in this thread. Never heard of Thea Render or Cycles. I did a lot of reading since posting my original query. I've downloaded some demos to try with the intent of purchasing one that performs good eventually. For now tho' I will wait it out. LW is pretty good as it is. Besides, methinks my money is going to go to another 3D application in the interim: Houdini and/or ZBrush.

I also am a bit concerned on GPU-only renderers. This is new territory for me and in reality I am not completely sold on stuffing a box with a bunch of video cards. For Octane, for example, my current setup includes a desktop with a GTX1070 and laptops with GTX560 or GTX980. The OctaneBench *seemed* to be okay for results with single cards but how would it translate to heavier scenes? I like the idea of a hybrid GPU/CPU/RAM utilization so I'm going to pursue that route further.

If you can get zbrush, definitely go for it. It will (if you're into sculpting) be your absolutely best investment. If you plan on rendering higher resolutions (or release commercially) go for the indie Houdini license. It offers the best value. Just know that Houdini isn't a program suited for modeling, it is actually really bad at it. And you really only need it for one reason.. FX. If your plan is only to learn it, then just get it for free.

^
    Thanks for that advice, MichaelT. I'm millimeters away from clicking on the Buy-Zbrush button. Just wish our Canadian dollar exchange was doing better. And good to know about Houdini...I still plan to keep LW in the loop for modeling & layout. Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast