Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Houdini 16

Houdini 16

Exciting news for all of us who are using Houdini in addition to Lightwave.

http://www.creativebloq.com/news/hou...tures-revealed
    https://www.sidefx.com/community/hou...on-february-6/

Reco

Definitely will be watching this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Definitely will be watching this one.
    Then we are two.
    To be honest, I can hardly wait. Nice to see the 3D world is moving forward while we are waiting for the next LW release.

Houdini 16 seems to be a major update, and for me it is one of the most important plugins for Lightwave.

Houdini 16:
    Redesigned Ocean tools.
    Water Surface tension simulation.
    Infinity oceans without tiling.
    Contexts sensitive radial menu dial.
    Open CL accelerated.
    Terrain generator.
    Muscle and skin simulation.
    Updated Hair and grooming.
    Faster Mantra.
    And its goes on and on.

Reco

I have an Invite to the launch section in London,

Does any Waver what me to scope out any details?

Quote Originally Posted by Reco View Post
    Then we are two.
    To be honest, I can hardly wait. Nice to see the 3D world is moving forward while we are waiting for the next LW release.

Reco
    There will be also The Foundry event in early feb (6th or 9th ?) there are rumors that modo will be one of the product being talked about...

Modo event is at 7pm pst on the 9th.

...it is one of the most important plugins for Lightwave. ...
    Curious as to what you mean by this. An actual plugin? Or just a step in the procedure pipeline between LW & 'x' software?

I too am piqued about Houdini as I never used it before. In the past the price was way too prohibitive. But now with Indie & non-FX version I may just take the plunge into getting it. I've started Apprentice mode to get a feel for it. I am intrigued with it's volumetrics, fluids, and rigging routines. I want to see how I can fit Houdini in to my LW workflow.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

No, he means it is an important tool for him. So much so that he uses it as part of his LW pipeline. There is no connection between the two, nor is there a Houdini engine plugin for LW available. The free version contains the full package, maybe you missed it? It is just that you cannot use it for anything other than learning the tool. Its save format is also locked to learning only. Meaning that if you get indie version (or higher) later, then you cannot load anything created in this format. But at least you can save.. C4D (should you want to look at that tool as well) free version cannot do even that (well, it *can* but only for a short time. But it is still possible to keep learning it for as long as you want, beyond that period)
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-30-2017 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Signal to Noise View Post
    Curious as to what you mean by this. An actual plugin? Or just a step in the procedure pipeline between LW & 'x' software?
    MichaelT is right. It is an important tool. You can’t access it within Lightwave. “plugin” should be more correct.
    Many of mine projects have included oceans and water. It used to be an easy task on my 32-bit system due to the Nature FX Lightwave plugin. (Nature FX for Softimage was used in Titanic).
    So, I really don’t need anything more complexed then that.

I have on several occasions asked for the Nature FX plugin to be ported to Lightwave 64bit. You can read more about it here.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....highlight=reco

It hasn’t been ported yet, and I understand it will never be. Long story short, I invested in Houdini Indie.
    I model in Lightwave/LW Cad. UV’s in Lightwave or 3D Coat. Texture in 3D Coat and Photoshop. Rendering in Lightwave. Simulations and rendering of
    simulations using Mantra in Houdini Indie. The comp is done in Fusion.

Here is an example of how to import a LW scene into Houdini.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImportToHoudini.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	951.9 KB 
ID:	135803
    You can read more about it here.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....highlight=reco

I have seen some attempt to import Houdini Simulated meshes into Lightwave. My approach is to render the simulated ocean part in Houdini, simply because
    the shaders in Lightwave can't match the default Houdini Ocean shader.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OceanShader.jpg 
Views:	770 
Size:	285.8 KB 
ID:	135804
    Houdini Ocean shader.

Houdini:
    Houdini Apprentice is free but you’ll end up with Watermarks on the rendered frames. It has a resolution limit of 1280x720 on rendered
    animated and still frames. No support for third party render engines either. And no render farm support.

Houdini Indie will set you back $199. It is the same software as Houdini FX, but with a resolution limitation of 1920x1080 on animation.
    Stills are unlimited. As far as I understand you can’t use it on project with budget of $100.000 or higher. You have to pay $199 for each render
    node if you have a render farm. You can use Gridmarkeds renderfarm solution to render your projects. I have done that on several occasions.
    http://www.gridmarkets.com/

Hopefully the next version of Lightwave will offer a more seamless workflow between Lightwave and Houdini.
    Here is a post regarding Houdini Engine for Lightwave.http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....highlight=reco

Reco
    Last edited by Reco; 01-30-2017 at 05:21 PM.

^
    That's awesome, Reco (and MichaelT). Thanks for sharing that info. I'm now stoked to get into Houdini!

Houdini Indie will set you back $199. It is the same software as Houdini FX, but with a resolution limitation of 1920x1080 on animation.
    Stills are unlimited. As far as I understand you can’t use it on project with budget of $100.000 or higher. You have to pay $199 for each render
    node if you have a render farm. You can use Gridmarkeds renderfarm solution to render your projects. I have done that on several occasions.
    http://www.gridmarkets.com/
    That is inaccurate: You can't use Indie if you make more than 100,000$ per year and can't work for clients with it that make more than that. In that case, you can't deliver scenes or any open format to them.
    You can only deliver finished renderings or baked models in that case.

You get 3 free licenses of Houdini Engine with Indie that can be used on three additional machines for rendering with Mantra and for simulation via HQueue. It's a rather involved setup but I got it working with the help of their support.

Like Apprentice (.hipnc = non-commercial), Indie also has a separate file format (hiplc = limited commercial) that can't be opened in the full version of Houdini without it going into restricted mode

And: the 199$ is a license for one year, so basically it's a subscription.

Still a great deal IMO.

I can highly recommend Houdini Indie, it's absolutely brilliant and became my main 3D application since I finally took the plunge last September.
    Especially for everything FX and generative/procedural it's pure bliss.
    https://www.screendream.de/design/generativa/

Cheers,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Helzle View Post

And: the 199$ is a license for one year, so basically it's a subscription.

Still a great deal IMO.

I can highly recommend Houdini Indie, it's absolutely brilliant and became my main 3D application since I finally took the plunge last September.

Cheers,

Tom
    Yeah, just think: a 23 year subscription of Indie = a single year of FX. I may just jump straight into Indie and forego Apprentice altogether.

I'm also wondering if SideFX will offer any incentive/discount deals for Houdini FX once their Houdini 16 live stream event hits on Feb 6?

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    I have an Invite to the launch section in London,

Does any Waver what me to scope out any details?

UPDATE : this month's copy ( March?) of 3dWORLD Magazine

has a six (6!) page review of Houdini Rev16 for U 'all

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Helzle View Post
    https://www.screendream.de/design/generativa/
    Hey Thomas

Beautiful images on your website! I love the 'Spiraling Cradle' in your Sculptures Gallery specially.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Hey Thomas

Beautiful images on your website! I love the 'Spiraling Cradle' in your Sculptures Gallery specially.
    Thanks, that was actually rendered in Lightwave IIRC ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast