Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LWRemodeler

Steve ive noticed when i run remesher and ask for latest updates it says i have an even more up to date one that your website. Im getting allot of crashes now it seems, have their been any updates in a while.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Hi John,

The version mismatch was just an oversight on my part and is fixed now. I'm not aware of any crashing bugs in my code but it's possible for a malformed mesh to bring down Instant Meshes. Do the crashes happen on every mesh or just a specific one(s)? I'll be happy to try to debug the crash if you can send me an object that makes Remodeler crash consistently.

Another possibility is that its a graphics card driver problem, so maybe you could try updating to the latest drivers if you don't already have them installed.

Hi Steve,

Thats just it, its not constant or happening repeatedly on the same mesh. I have the latest drivers but my card is a bit long in the tooth. Ive got a new laptop waiting at home when i get back in a couple of weeks. I will try this and see if there is any difference. I think it is more probably malformation. It was just a mesh of around 30,000 polys, nothing to big.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

What would be the fastest ( most automatic way) to fix these seams. Here is another example..lots of seams to fix unfortunately.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uv seams.PNG 
Views:	59 
Size:	552.5 KB 
ID:	145820
    Last edited by opmeyer; 08-25-2019 at 12:00 AM. Reason: missing quote

Quote Originally Posted by hurley View Post
    Surface reconstruction can only be an approximation, since the re-mesh generated by Instant-Meshes does not contain any of the original vertices or polygons. It's more like a new skin that gets fitted over the original mesh. The algorithm I came up with seems to work pretty well in most cases though.

Basic surfaces work
    Standard UV's work pretty well
    And other kinds of VMaps like color and weight maps seem to work

Unfortunately discontinuous UV's are a special case that I haven't been able to come up with a good solution for yet. If I do, it will be in a free update to LWRemodeler. Here's an example of what you might see now.
    What would be the fastest ( most automatic way) to fix these seams. Here is another example..lots of seams to fix unfortunately.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uv seams.PNG 
Views:	59 
Size:	552.5 KB 
ID:	145820

Turning off pixel blending in the texture map might do it.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

turn off mips.
    bake your texture with edge padding.
    lw’s edge padding in bakes was always broken.
    i don’t think the latest fixes it either. use any other 3d content app to bake properly.
    or you can bake with no edge padding and use a dilate filter.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    or you can bake with no edge padding and use a dilate filter.
    I used XNormal Dilation filter in PhotoShop on the texture to bleed the edge of the islands into the "Gutters" between the islands.
    Since the texture was already created by the photogrammetry which produced the mesh I skipped the bake step you suggested.

The seems are still just as severe after processing the image texture with the Dilation filer so I think that the problem is with the non-supported ''discontinuous UVs" rather than texture islanding.

QUOTE FROM: https://learn.foundry.com/modo/901/c...th_uvmaps.html
    "Discontinuous vertices in a UV map are those that are single vertices within the model, but that have two locations in a UV map." <----- My hunch is that I need to explore first fixing the discontinuous UVs generated by the photogrammetry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	badseam.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	145860
    Last edited by opmeyer; 09-02-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Unhappy

Name:	messyUV.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	145861

Impressive technology but LW remodeler shuffles the vertecies around the UV which then creates the seams if the UV map has discontinuous UVS.
    Last edited by opmeyer; 09-02-2019 at 08:01 PM.

This edge spans the seams. Here I can see my problem is not the UV gutters, which is why XNormal Dilate filter was unsuccessfulClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Darty_edge.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	618.8 KB 
ID:	145862

deleted
    Last edited by opmeyer; 09-02-2019 at 08:05 PM. Reason: redundant information

OK Guys so you can see here, the original (input mesh) produced by the photogrammetry (before applying LWRemodeler) and there is plenty of bleed around the UV texture islands. Again demonstrating why XNormal Dilate did not help. The polygons are all nicely nested within the UV texture islands and so there are no seams on this input mesh.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original_intact.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	542.8 KB 
ID:	145864

But you can see here: I selected a single (1) vertex on the input mesh and it does appear twice on the UV map. Exactly as described in this definition of "Discontinuous UV's" QUOTE https://learn.foundry.com/modo/901/c...th_uvmaps.html
    "vertices in a UV map are those that are single vertices within the model, but that have two locations in a UV map". Discontinuous UVs are unsupported by LWRemodeller

Name:	vertex appears twice on UV.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	601.2 KB 
ID:	145866

Compare the input mesh UV with the messy 'LWremodeler' output mesh UV and you see that the problem is due to LWRemodeler not fixing the texture to suit the new topology. There is probably a good reason why its unsupported but please let me know if there is a work-around to this.

Name:	LWremodeler.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	145865
    Last edited by opmeyer; 09-02-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by opmeyer View Post
    because each point on the mesh is represented only once in the UV map. I don't know how to fix this up.
    A point that's shared between islands exists in more than one place (specifically, once in each island where part of their boundary).

Think of it this way: If you draw a circle of points/edges on a 2D plane, then the same points that define the circle's circumference also define the circular hole that's the inner boundary for the "rest of the plane", and therefore exist in both the definition of the circle and the definition of the "rest of the plane".

Hope that helps.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Hope that helps
    It helps me understand a little bit more about what a Discontinous UV is. Here is another good description of what Remodeler does with it's retopolgy mesh QUOTE https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/.../uv-projection "For illustration purposes, let’s say you had your texture image printed on a piece of very flexible rubber and wanted to fit it on a toy car made of wood. You could conform the rubber material to contours of the car by tacking it down with thumbtacks. That is more or less what UV Mapping does. However, it is slightly reversed: what you do is tack the UV points down onto the image"

This all helps to understand why Remodeler makes such messy UV maps. But it does not help me pursue a quick fix for the seams on my poor little doll.

I understand enough now to realise that I will have to manually re-do the textures on this model.
    Last edited by opmeyer; 09-02-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Can't you go through the process of unwrapping the LW Remodeler mesh, using ABF Unwrap?

Then bake the original texture onto the re-UV'd one, using the texture baking camera.

I use it all the time and it works really well!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234