Thread: Making Curtains Using MD_Controller

Question Making Curtains Using MD_Controller

We are working on a project were we have a stage with curtains that open about 2/3's of the way through the scene (900 frames). We are using the tutorial Newtek has to make the curtains. Which means we are using the MD controller and Morph mixer to make the curtain open in Lightwave. The problem we are running across is that before the curtain opens it extends/falls through the stage floor. In MD_Controller we have tried adjusting just about everything to keep it from lengthening through the floor. We have also tried moving the curtain upwards as it extends but this produces ghastly results. Please Help us.

SWOCC Studios

Post hummm...

I have NO idea about MD or MD specifics. But it sounds like to me its not liking the curtains origin point for some reason... Maybe make is centered at 0,0,0 and try to run it thru Motion Designer.

What kind of motion is occuring (That you DO NOT want)?

over how many frames does it occur and at what frame?

A clue would be that my idea is "on-track" if it starts at moving down thru the stage-floor at the exact key motion designer starts chomping at it?

Just fodder for thought.

GOOD LUCK
    g l a s s e f x

It starts stretching right away. I guess what I am saying is that the curtain keeps its position and starts stretching downwards. When I turn gravity off it doesn't stretch however when the curtain opens than the curtain no longer looks natural. I've tried turning spring down too and that had no help either. It is set at Cotton Thick.

Though I have NEVER used MD for anything other than once I played with it, I seem to recal lsomeone saying *scale* means alot. If you have a curtain that is 100M x 100M it will sag more because it's heavier than say a curtain that is 3M x 3M.

Maybe this has something to do with it?
    Thanx,
    Matt

(I will come back to LightWave3D when the support Linux. Linux isn't going anywhere, guys. Time to accept it!)

Curtain Tutorial

Try this curtain tutorial.

Curtain Tutorial

From what youve put in the first post, I gather that you are starting the calculation from MD Controller in the middle of the sequence(please correct me if im wrong).

You need to start the calculations about 50 frames before the begining of the sequence, to let the geometry take the form of cloth.

you will need to adjust your initial length of the curtains to compensate and try a few test, but im sure this will work.

Let me know what the outcome is.

Rob T

Okay it sounds like you need to lower your stretch limit to 5% or less (this is how much further apart two connected points in your mesh can stretch from each other) and up your substructure (this creates a lattice between points which are close to each other, making it more rigid).

Stetch limit is much better to use than spring because it doesn't vibrate the mesh as much, calculates faster and limits the mesh a lot more.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Hello,
    I had just the same problem with a curtain animation. I had to begin the MD calculation many frames ahead of what I needed (a hundred or so) to let the curtain to take form and stabilize in length. That was a Loooong calculation with auto-collision on. The result wasn't entirely satisfactory (the fabric seems a bit to light), and I decided to wait till LW8 shows up with -I hope, updated MD before I try again.
    hdesbois

Set your beginning frame to -100 or so. This gives the effect time to stabilize by frame zero. Then render from zero to whatever.

Cool WAHOO!!!

Well I set my frames to -200 to give the curtains time to stabalize. And it worked out great. Thanks!!!

Talking

Hey Fozzybear - thanks for that tutorial, about the easiest one to follow I've seen lately. Cranked out a good looking animation in about a half hour.

Lew

Talking

I'm so happy that my limited knowledge was able to help someone. Do you think there is anyone in this galaxy that knows everything about LW? Probably not even the programmers.
    trentonia

Re: Making Curtains Using MD_Controller

Originally posted by SWOCC Studios

(snip)
    The problem we are running across is that before the curtain opens it extends/falls through the stage floor. In MD_Controller we have tried adjusting just about everything to keep it from lengthening through the floor. We have also tried moving the curtain upwards as it extends but this produces ghastly results. Please Help us.

SWOCC Studios
    It sounds like you haven't added your stage object to Motion Designer.

What you need to do is activate the stage object in Motion Designer, then make sure that each surface is assigned to be FIXED, so that they are unaffected by gravity.

As others have mentioned, start your calculations at frame -50 or so to allow gravity to work it's magic. Once you assign your stage to be FIXED in MD, then when the curtains sag down to the floor, they will rest there instead of go through it.

Hope this helps.
    We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    -Anais Nin

k if all that stuff theyre saying doesnt work try setting you geomtry to last rather tahn first i ha the same problem for a secene i was oing wut im trying to figure out is how to a lazy poitns are wieghts on certain poitns of the curtain so it deforms more

Hi Fozzybear,
    Your curtain tutorial is no longer at that location, I know it was 16 years ago...any chance its still available as I am having all the same problems with a curtain here.

Thanks