Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brent's Blender LW Modo Setup

Brent's Blender LW Modo Setup

https://youtu.be/U4Al_sunLAs?t=1

This vid is a walk through of my process for setting up Blender's viewport to behave similar to Lightwave and Modo. So for all the Wavers and Modonauts out there looking to utilize the insane power of Blender look no further.

-Brent

Brent's Blender LW/Modo keys, Theme, and Addons
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hiwwspgyi0...Files.rar?dl=0

http://www.twinvillecreative.com/

very cool, thanks

Excellent!
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

thanks, just navigation "FIX" itself is already hughe help
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Thanks Brent, i have a question is there any way to move the tabs to the top of the screen in Blender, i like the tabs but it seems that you cannot move them from the left side of the screen.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Thanks Brent, i have a question is there any way to move the tabs to the top of the screen in Blender, i like the tabs but it seems that you cannot move them from the left side of the screen.
    Not to my knowledge, but maybe possible through scripting. I find just by right clicking I get the majority of editing tools available, so try it with my setup.

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Tip for the tabs on the left: you can hover your mouse over any of them and use the scroll wheel to quickly move from tab to tab.

Thanks and yes indeed i will try your setup Brent. For many i read who come from another 3D Program its the UI in Blender that takes some time getting around. I find it sometimes a little cluttered.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Brent, dude you made me want to get deeper into Blender. Thank you so much.
    The LW Beast From the East

Quote Originally Posted by toeknee View Post
    Brent, dude you made me want to get deeper into Blender. Thank you so much.
    Toeknee, Here's a vid on why I even started to add Blender. Hope it helps everyone.

Brent's "Why I added Blender" Vid
    https://youtu.be/E_qV46MSmSs

Thanks for the update. I am really getting excited to actually master Blender. I mean I use to use its blend shapes for animation years ago, but I can see that it is a great tool to use in conjunction with LW. I am useing the open street map tool right now to create city. This is cool.
    The LW Beast From the East

Thank you for the efforts for all. I 'grew up' on Lightwave, also like modo for modeling, but value Blender for a whole host of reasons. This makes the transition back and forth less 'rocky.' I will watch to see if it continues to help.
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

Quote Originally Posted by paulhart View Post
    Thank you for the efforts for all. I 'grew up' on Lightwave, also like modo for modeling, but value Blender for a whole host of reasons. This makes the transition back and forth less 'rocky.' I will watch to see if it continues to help.
    Cool paulhart, I remember adding Modo to our pipeline way back at v201, now Blender has filled an even bigger, glad to hear your benefiting as well.

_
    This is amazing! When you're using two complimentary programs, one of the hardest things is when you get the most basic bits like shortcuts, selection, and navigation all confused every time you switch from one to the other and then again when switching back. (Sort of like when you're reading comics and manga intermixed and you're constantly realizing that you're reading the panels in the wrong direction).

Ok, brent, sorry that this won't be a positive post, I appreciate your effort

First of all I do think it isn't very helpfull to learn blender by trying to emulate your favorite program,
    I do think you miss some of the workflow processes and concepts, wich makes live a lot easier in blender.

Here are some examples

You set the add subdivision modifier to an shift+d key:
    This sounds nice, until you realise that blender follows the concept of setting the invert / alternative
    command to ALT+Command or shift+command. A very helpfull concept for memorizing keyboard shortcuts

Killing the 3d cursor positioning.
    In the beginning I also didn't understood what this round crosshair thingy is all about, but its an essential
    tool inside blender since the program does not have 3d widgets. Its needed for operations like bend etc.
    So again this makes it more difficult to learn blender by making this operation not very accessible

Mouse navigation in 3d viewport
    All navigation in blender is done by using the middle mouse button. You changed it in the 3dview, but in blender
    this concept is also used for _all_ panels, again making it actually more difficult to learn blender.

Tab is for edit mode
    Blender allows you to quickly jump from each mode into edit mode by hitting tab. Its a very dominant operation
    wich you actually use quite often. (Jumping from weight paint to edit mode for example)
    Your keyboard setup doesn't seem to compensate for this often used operation.

Again as said its my personal observation and I might be wrong on this, and I appreciate your effort,
    but I do think blender is best learned by dismissing everything you've learned before,
    and after you get accustomed to it integrate old workflow techniques (shortcuts) where they are appropriate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast