Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half past Human, The Godwhale, TJ BAss

Half past Human, The Godwhale, TJ BAss

Has anybody read these books in his youth ?
    Anybody interested to do a collaboration for an illustration/semi-animation/other, something doable and reasonable, aka not a fully CG animated adaptation of the story ?

Quote Originally Posted by dickbill View Post
    Anybody interested to do a collaboration for an illustration/semi-animation/other, something doable and reasonable, aka not a fully CG animated adaptation of the story ?
    LOVE IT LOVE IT, it is on my 'todo list' in down-time.

I have a 1st edition hardback in my Library, just loved the empathetic thing with Trilobite.

it reminded me much in tone of a great titled piece called 'Watched over by Machines of Loving Grace'.

A mashup of almost a RoboWhale is surely in the Thor Movie & Our Nipponese Wavers have animated

briefly such a air swimming juggernaut.( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgCpPnid-XE)

Yes i'm interested but it needs a short(anim) at this point I feel to impact well.

Me too, Trilobite was the character who survived, hidden in the neural networks of my memories, somewhat like in the book. I read it ~35 years ago in French and re-read it recently in its original version. I am also a Molecular Biologist of formation and I can project easily in the CyBorg-like atmosphere conveyed by Bass.
    It was written before the 80's so Bass had no chance to envision things like Internet and Smart phone addiction and also he was not sensitive to the political issues that most likely would shape a Hive of the Future, but his vision of the genetic engineering used to create the Cyborg/Biological hybrids, was right on.
    The end of the Godwhale, namely gy=c, has literally obsessed me for all these years and I even contacted an astrophysicist (no, not NdeGT) to discuss some deep issues that Bass himself missed.

Regarding a small project, I could not do an elaborate animation because I don't have the skills for it. For example, Human complex animation with IK or genoma is above my head, but wagging a cetacean tail is, hopefully, in my capabilities. I have zbrush though, I am passable at it but good enough to produce some characters like the Godwhale, Trilobit or the Nebish. I also have AnimeStudioPro and Vue5-infinite. Vue5-infinite seems old, true, but it is an Infinite version, meaning that it can import Objects and most importantly can export a scene matching Lightwave camera and light scene, or just background matching perspective for composition with LW (important to render in seconds, rather than Hours, in LW). With these tools, something should be doable.
    Perhaps a short anim is doable, yes.
    I suck at music but we have the musics of Eric Matyas and Shawn Farrell here, so I won't sweat this issue.

If you are interested to do something with me Ian, I don't have a web site but I have a dropbox where i could put files to exchange. We could also use this thread to put renderings and stuff.

Let me think about a small script and a few still pictures to illustrate my thoughts now...

Others are welcome, don't be shy, the Hive won't eat you (OK, most likely it will).
    Last edited by dickbill; 01-10-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: add

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Good book, need to dig out my copy. It's still in a box somewhere after the house move...
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Huh. I know I read Godwhale as a younger lad, didn't know it was a trilogy. I've forgotten most of it apart from the curious jogger getting cut in two by the whatever-bin and ending up with the cyborg centaur body thing. Might have to unearth this memory and read the whole trilogy.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Cool

Yup, got the paperbacks right here. (It's 2 books, not 3.) To the OP, I say: go for it, storyboard style!!! (But, maybe do a short story first.... just saying...)

I can't imagine why Hollywood isn't mining '60s SF for original script ideas, instead of doing retreads. (Well, actually I can, but they shouldn't keep doing remakes/reboots/sequals.)

My top two:

NOVA, by Samuel Delaney --huge Hollywood production
    WAYSTATION, by Clifford Simak --possible indie-production

Keith Laumer, before he became a hack (it's ok, a man's got to eat), wrote some quite surreal short stories. I suggest that one is MUCH more likely to finish a short story animation than a novel. Even doing a couple minutes of animation is quite challenging. It's like: before you build a house, you should build a doghouse. Then a playhouse.

If you can animate the joke "A horse walks into a bar: the bartender says 'Why the long face?'", you're on your way.

Roger Zelazny also wrote many poetic short stories. --Anybody else got short story writers to mine?
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 01-10-2017 at 08:53 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Yes as Jeric says, it's 2 books, not 3 : 'Half Past Human' and 'The Godwhale' all published before 1974. But you can get new copies from Barnes and Noble.

The reason these old stories are not used in movies are perhaps the lack of compliance with modern standards of political correctness, which may require more or less editing. Also these books were all written in pre-Internet times. But adaptations are always possible. The 2011 adaptation of Tintin on screen was very nicely done, in my opinion.

I have no intention to make an animation longer than 3 or 4 minutes. Actually it would be likely less than 3 minutes, trailer style, and not following any of the 2 stories and their characters in particular (such as Larry Denver, amputated down the Chest and frozen for further medical treatment) , but instead presenting the general background :
    (not in order)
    The genetically modified Cyborgs Hybrids, such as the Harvesters (one of them is the Renegade Harvester in Half Past Human),
    The Cetacean Harvesters (such as the Godwhale and his companion Trilobite, but without mentioning their particular role),
    The dead Oceans and the Earth surface, totally harvested for vegetal food except for the highest mountains. Bass mentioned that all crops are actually genetically modified to be sterile and require pollination by the Harvesters
    The fauna reduced to Nebish, rats, cockroach and low level bacteria and Fungus
    The Hive and the 4 trillions Nebish in their underground Shaft Cities. The pestilence and miasma in the Shaft Cities. The Crowd and immediate return of the Nebish Citizen to the Protein Pool in their early thirties. Cannibalism is basically required to shorten the food chain as much as possible. The casts in the Hive.
    The 5 Toes 'bucks' that survive as genetic fossil in a Neolithic society on the Surface, hunted for their flesh by the Nebish Hunter cast.
    The Cyber/neural circuitry that covers all Earth surface and the Class One that rules them all.
    The Mysterious Olga.
    And perhaps the gy=c issue (not sure)

THE RORQUAL MARU sounds lovely in japanese doesn't?

Hi DB,

Here is my book NOt very inspiring is it?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hardback Dustjacket cover - GodWhale.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	135566

SEND P.M. 2 me 4 DROPBOX stuff to UP,Please.

Name:	Roboequus(after Stubbs) LoRez.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	135567

see above LW & PSHOP montage 2.5D- ROBOEQUUS (2015) ianr.

I'm been heading there( Kit bashed Motorcycle Parts/RonNurnies/logic)

P.M. me
    Last edited by ianr; 01-11-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Nice cyber horse but you' re right, the cover of your Godwhale is not too inspiring. I am buried in zbrush right now, working on a decent Rorqual Maru. Not easy.

All right I PM you...

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    THE RORQUAL MARU sounds lovely in japanese doesn't?

Hi DB,

P.M. me
    Ianr, I can't PMail you, your box is full and you need to clear some space.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I can't imagine why Hollywood isn't mining '60s SF for original script ideas, instead of doing retreads. (Well, actually I can, but they shouldn't keep doing remakes/reboots/sequals.)
    There's a lot of great 60s (and later) SF that shot itself in the foot by not foreseeing that, in the future, there would not be a USSR.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    There's a lot of great 60s (and later) SF that shot itself in the foot by not foreseeing that, in the future, there would not be a USSR.
    Turns out there IS a Russia though.

The one they REALLY missed though is cel 'phones' and all they can do.
    +++++++

Mmahhhhn, "NOVA" would be so baroque!!! And y'know what? Leonardo DiCaprio in the lead role. Since "Gatsby" I totally believe he could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    But, perhaps in the future there is a USSR.

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    But, perhaps in the future there is a USSR.
    Meanwhile there is a UST, I let you guess what the T stands for.

You guys Jeric and Wing are welcome to join the Godwhale team (Ianr and I so far) even intermittently, no attach no commitment, just some 3d work, glory and no money !

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    You guys Jeric and Wing are welcome to join the Godwhale team (Ianr and I so far) even intermittently, no attach no commitment, just some 3d work, glory and no money !
    My landlord LOVES glory! The grocery store too!

I'll use an old USSR saying: "They pretend to pay us, and in return we pretend to work."

OTOH, sure, count me in: this is for storyboard work, right? It's not like I"m busy.

I might send you FBX files, it'll be good practice for inter-sw interchange practice.

BTW, here's the cover of the copy I have:

Name:	godwhale.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	135635

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast