View Poll Results: How often does LW2015.3 crash for you?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once every hour or two

6 7.59%
  • Once every few hours

12 15.19%
  • Once a day

7 8.86%
  • Once every few days

16 20.25%
  • Once a week, or less often

38 48.10%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [POLL] How often does LW2015.3 crash for you?

[POLL] How often does LW2015.3 crash for you?

There appear to be two distinct "camps" w.r.t. LW2015.3's stability, so I'm investigating whether different tolerances for "stability" are the distinction, or whether customers are really experiencing such broad differences in stability.

For clarity, a "crash" constitutes either "vanish to desktop", "crash reporter occurs", or lasting hang such that "force quit" was needed.
    Last edited by jwiede; 01-08-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

It might have been helpful to ask in some way if you use a mac or pc. I'm on pc and crashes are infrequent and when they do happen, it seems to be pretty easy to pinpoint a repeatable reason(though not always). I won't count today when I crashed 6 or 7 times trying to open a file from 3 versions ago.

I'm not sure the results will be very accurate, at least if many users are like me. 'Crashiness' depends on what I'm doing with the software. I might go a few weeks without seeing a single crash, and then some particular task I'm doing might have Lightwave crashing a few times during the day.

For the most part, 2015.3 has been pretty stable for me though. (I chose 'once every few days'.)

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    It might have been helpful to ask in some way if you use a mac or pc. I'm on pc and crashes are infrequent and when they do happen, it seems to be pretty easy to pinpoint a repeatable reason(though not always). I won't count today when I crashed 6 or 7 times trying to open a file from 3 versions ago.
    I'll cover that in a follow-up, but first want general results to see any "peaks" (presuming we get a decent sample, anyway).
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

TrueArt Support
    I don't remember when it crashed by itself.
    But actually it's Modeler and Layout, two different apps.

That also gives idea to make general log file, which will contain tools, command, and actions done by user.
    By recording such logs, and then comparing with other users logs,
    it would be possible to find out bugs caused by trashing memory (which are revealed much much longer than they really happened when trashed memory is used by app f.e. exit)..

had to vote for once every hour, but the poll can not accuratly describe the frequence I guess, sometimes itīs more than once every hour, sometimes itīs not every hour...depends on.
    What I do know for me the lw 2015 version has been the worst ever in crashes, for me, it started already with the demo releases which then was confirmed as bugs, then a little better after I tested the fixes.but then back to more crashes and sometimes hard to track down.

Its once a week for me... Sometimes even less. Which is surprising because a lot of the time I am doing things that were not intended by nts development. There are times when doind certain things that I get them more often, but for me on pc it has been one of the most stable releases. Much more stable than Houdini for me... which crashes one or twice per session.... but at least in Houdini it is very rare to lose work when it does. In lw its been like 50/50 whether it lets me save before the crash completes.

For me recently LW crashed after heavy VPR/surface tweaking sessions but only when I shut down the app.

I wonder what some of you guys are doing to make it crash that often? I had crashes in the beginning, but when nVidia updated its drivers for 1080, I haven't had a crash like that in months. Freezes, yes.. but only because its calculations (modeler usually) end up in a painfully slow slooooow loop. Because it isn't using multi-thread when it could have.

As Prometheus and others have said, it very much depends on what you are doing. I am using 2015.3 on a PC workstation and my most frequent crashes seem to happen during data synchronisation between Layout and Modeler (but usually not the other way around). If I've been making changes in Layout (e.g. to object surfaces) and then switch focus over to Modeler, I have to make sure that I've saved everything or risk loosing work that I've done since the last save. But of course, there are times when you forget to do so and the air turns blue! I think this happens whether or not VPR is active. Seems like the Hub continues to be the weak link in the chain. It might be related to the Hub choking on high poly objects, but it's hard to pin down precisely.
    iemedia solutions:
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel
    Scavengers SciFi novel:
    Amazon UK
    Amazon USA

hardly ever use Hub, I mean its active but don't have Modeller and Layout open concurrently, like to keep modelled assets and render assets apart from one another in separate places and separate folders, same with textures and always run a standalone scene not a unified directory, Nodes and VPR refresh are biggest culprits for crash along with lousy modelling on my part in modeller, one point pollys and shared edges creeping into the model

Frequenter
    I experience crashes of Layout almost only at occasions that involve changes on objects that have to do with maps or geometry - where I simply ignore or forget that I should have turned off vpr...
    Recently my main focus was particle stuff that also involve HVīs. (astronomical visualization/space stuff...) I worked with it on a pretty much daily basis (even during the holidays...) over the last three weeks and remember 2 real crashes.
    Maybe worth mentioning that I did not use surface nodes that much... Donīt know if that might make a difference..
    Edit: And I almost always leave the hub running...

in general for me 2015.3 is pretty stable... I used it on on at least four differently equipped workstations (all win7 and at least 24Gig of RAM, though) over the run of the last year depending on the project/office I am at...
    Last edited by fishhead; 01-09-2017 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Added a line regarding the hub...

I normally turn off modeler if not needed.
    English is not my native language so please be patient.

Salvador Ureņa
    http://urenasalvador.wixsite.com/portfolio

It is quite stable for me, unless I'm editing UVs

If you are in VPR mode and in modeler side you add a new weight map. That used to kill LW with fiberfx with one single blow earlier. This must be due to the non-unified nature of LW and
    the outdated underlying structures.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast