Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using the correct following settings problem.

Using the correct following settings problem.

I have a mini with AE. I had 4 cameras connected the other night and ran into a problem. I am doing research on this but really can't find what I need. I'll keep looking unless someone on here can help me. I have 4 cameras connected but don't use any sound from any of them. I run sound from a play by play and crowd mic into a mixer and from the mixer into the mini. The problem I had was every time I would go to camera 3 the sound would cutoff. I tried different settings but nothing seemed to work. I am still learning the AE but just ran into this problem. Thanks.

Do you have audio follow video turned on in the inputs of the audio mixer?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Under which inputs? I thought I did. Would I do it for the first 4 inputs? Why does it work for input 1,2 and 4 but not on 3? How would you set it up? I am just a little confused on this. Thanks for the response.

Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    Under which inputs? I thought I did. Would I do it for the first 4 inputs? Why does it work for input 1,2 and 4 but not on 3? How would you set it up? I am just a little confused on this. Thanks for the response.
    I think Kane was asking about Follow being ON because that could potentially cause this issue, and was not suggesting that it should be on at all. In reality, you would most likely want Follow UNCHECKED for all audio sources, which is default, so that switching does not affect audio. Just Mute the sources you don't want used (cameras).

Thanks

Jeff

Yeah, I wasn't thinking. It was a late night. Mute them in the inputs in the mixer right. If I understand what you are saying is make sure it is not following in the mixer. Doesn't the HDMI inputs from the 4 cameras match the inputs on the mixer? I wish I used the TriCaster everyday because it would sure make it harder to forget things. I have learned a lot but still soooo much more to go. So what should each of the 8 inputs in the mixer that I have say in the following category?
    Going back to that and checking, the reason I think I had thought I needed it to follow is when I play our commercials during breaks so when our commercials are playing that input 1 is muted where are play by play and crowd mic is going into the mini. Input 1 is the only sound we use.
    Last edited by ingeborgdot; 01-07-2017 at 11:56 AM.

On the Mini - Audio Mixer inputs 1-4 do correspond to the HDMI inputs 1-4, however - Input 1 can be the Analog inputs instead, and Input 2 can be the Mic input. With AE, there are endless routing capabilities.

But basically, say you are using external mixer audio into analog jacks, which is #1, and you want no other audio from cameras 2, 3, or 4, then MUTE those 3 camera inputs. Either click the little speaker icons at top of each or put sliders all the way down.

You're also going to have mixer options for DDR1, DDR2, Sound, Effects, etc. and you have to decide if you want/need those muted as well. Effects is the sounds you hear with certain broadcast transitions.

FOLLOW can be helpful. Say maybe you have some DDR clips you want to incorporate into the live program. Can be helpful to set DDR1 to Follow DDR1. That way, the audience will never hear DDR1 unless it is actually on Program Out. Avoid accidents, keeps DDR1 auto-muted when previewing a clip and such. Sound only goes out when DDR1 is "live" then.

Did you know there are Mem Slots for the Audio Mixer? Move mouse to far left and they should pop up. You can set up the audio mixer in different ways for different needs, and export/import all those settings, or quickly switch between different setups on the fly.

Thanks

Jeff

Just to mention it, a lot of people don't realize that Follow does not necessarily have to follow the naturally (numerically) associated video source, and one sound source can even be configured to follow multiple switcher inputs.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Just to mention it, a lot of people don't realize that Follow does not necessarily have to follow the naturally (numerically) associated video source, and one sound source can even be configured to follow multiple switcher inputs.
    Great Point, Steve! For each "Follow" that you enable, you can check/uncheck as many sources as you want. So for example, for Input 1 (audio mixer board), you could check inputs 1, 2, 3, 4, and perhaps GFX1 and GFX2. The audio from analog mixer would only be heard when any of those 6 sources are "live". Then when you want to play a pre-recorded clip from DDR1, the "live" audio would automatically be cut (muted). You could also enable DDR1 Follow, with only DDR1 checked, so that audio is only heard when playing the DDR1 source on Program. When set up properly, this can really automate the whole audio mixing business and reduce/eliminate mistakes.

Thanks

Jeff

Okay, can someone give me a little more help. Sorry. Here is my problem right now. I got it so when I cut to camera 2, 3 and 4 that it does not cut off the sound coming in through the mixer in 1 and I get all the audio I need. Great, but when I play the commercials in DDR1 it does not shut off audio from 1 now and it still has crowd and play by play sound. I am trying all sorts of settings but my ignorance is getting the best of me right now. I have had this figured out before in SD but in AE I seem to be having some difficulty. Thanks.

If "Follow" is enabled for Audio Input 1, and follow selections are Inputs 2, 3, and 4 and NOT DDR1, then when you select DDR1 on Program, Audio 1 should not be heard. You don't happen to be running the DDR clips on a DSK?

Thanks

Jeff

I don't think I'm running it on DSK. How will I know that? I am just running it through the DDR is what I thought. I'll check and see.

Okay, let's see. I have input 1 with follow 2, 3, 4. DDR1 with follow DDR1. Nothing else is following. I have tried multiple arrangements and I am not finding a solution. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I'll keep looking.

Well, I've got it to function the way I want it too for the most part but it took some doing. On input 1 I have all my sound coming in that I need as line. 2,3,4 have sound turned down all the way because I don't need the sound out of it. The settings that finally worked were settings I had before but for some reason quit working. I have input 1 set to follow input 1, 2, 3 and DDR 1 to follow DDR1 for the settings that work. This way when I play our commercials from DDR1 it shuts down the sound in 1. Now when I cut to camera 3 in program it works and doesn't cut sound on 1 and the sound stays on like it should. The problem is I can't get input 4 to work. It still cuts sound in input 1 when I put cam 4 in program. If I put it to follow on four it does not shut down audio on 1 like I need. When I don't follow 4 it then shuts down input 1 as it should. The problem is if I cut to camera 4 it still shuts down the audio to 1. When I change 1 to follow 4 it then doesn't shut down the camera when I go to it but it also won't shut down audio to 1 when I play the DDR1. So at this point I will keep it off of following 4 and I'll be fine because I don't need to use 4 as a camera other than for the clock which I never put it in program anyway. I am really baffled as to why it works on 1,2,&3 but not on 4.

So the other night it would cut off the sound to line input 1 which had all sound when I would cut to camera 3. I never did find out if it did it for camera 4 that night because I didn't need to cut to 4. I found that out today when I was working with it. I am okay for now because at this time camera 4 is not a program view but I am really worried I may not get it to work when I do need camera 4 at some point down the road.

I don't know of any of this makes sense as I have rambled and repeated myself several times but would appreciate some feedback if you do understand what I am saying. Thanks.

Could be a buggy behavior with the build you are using. Please update to 4_0_16116 if not already using it, see if that helps. Maybe try a New Session at the same time then, start fresh!

Also, be certain that the Follow button for Input 4 is NOT checked, as the Follow behaviors of cameras 2, 3, and 4 are all being controlled by Follow settings on Audio Input 1. Don't want settings fighting one another

Thanks

Jeff

I ran with a audio setup similar to yours a couple weeks ago. I did not even think about trying the audio follow feature. I had not really even thought about it to be honest. I instead just built a quick macro. Like you, I had broadcasters, crowd, ref, wireless, etc on an external mixer. I built a macro that set my "Line In" mute and unmute. I did not tie it in to the DDR but I could have if I needed to. I ran a logo animation out to breaks so I wanted the option for the broadcaster to be able to speak over that if needed going in to a break.

If you can get the audio follow exactly how you want, maybe consider building a quick macro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast