Thread: Spheries in LightWave 3D

Spheries in LightWave 3D

I may have posted my Spherie tutorial in the wrong forum so I am posting in this forum (which seems more appropriate).

See Spheries in LightWave 3D.

Just ask SBowie, the forum moderator, to move your thread.

Interesting, in that we have Chilton (ConjureBunny) writing a multi-camera plugin; one of which does an excellent job at producing VR:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....pport-and-more
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....-VR-AR-roadmap
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....d-boost-in-2-6

and in the time that I've been producing VR, way back when it was pretty much only done as QuickTimeVR, I've never heard of "Spheries". I decided to search on the term. Seems that you're the only person using it? Just wondering where it came from; especially as how spherical projection isn't the only construct available to produce a VR in.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Thank you.

I wrote the tutorial not knowing about those plugins. Thank you for the references. I'll read them. The tutorial documents a way to produce Google, Facebook, Flickr, and Samsung VR compatible spheries just using stock LightWave without plugins (it does need the free Exiftool and/or the free Spatial Media Metadata Injector). Again, the tutorial was written without knowing about the work you referenced.

By the way, I've updated my original posting with a few more spherie examples that are being hosted on Google Photos, Facebook, and Flickr.

As for the term "spherie", I am pleased you can't find a reference. I coined the term in my June 2016 Facebook posting. I found the word spherie slid off my tongue like selfie and I liked how the term spherie succinctly embodied "sphere" or "spherical." Back in June 2016 I found only 1 reference in all of Google's search database and that was the name of a drone.

On page 9 of my tutorial I give the definition of "spherie" that I had posted on Facebook back in June 2016 (with a minor edit).

My goal is to get the word spherie into the Oxford English Dictionary. I've always wanted to get a word into OED, and when I saw that "glamping" was in the OED and it was only coined in 2005, I started on my little mission.

I am trying to get people to adopt the word "spherie" in the context of 360 degree spherical images, videos, renders, VR films, etc. One requirement of the OED is that the word gains common usage.

Attached is the section from my tutorial that defined spherie.

Spherie on,
    Daniel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spherie-definition.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	135487  

Quote Originally Posted by precedia View Post
    My goal is to get the word spherie into the Oxford English Dictionary. I've always wanted to get a word into OED, and when I saw that "glamping" was in the OED and it was only coined in 2005, I started on my little mission.

I am trying to get people to adopt the word "spherie" in the context of 360 degree spherical images, videos, renders, VR films, etc. One requirement of the OED is that the word gains common usage.

Attached is the section from my tutorial that defined spherie.
    That's what I figured. Probably just me, but the term is annoying. There's something about it that it's just plain too "cutesy".

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

I'd sue him for plagiarism it sounds way too much like sperical, but point is a good one VR is well established and well understood, first Brexit then Trump now Spheries, there is only so much civilisation can take

Good feedback.

And I now feel embarassed about my contribution to civilization's (sic) downfall.

Face reality, it's a name that will never catch on. Just call it what it's already known as and quit trying to mess around with the language. Yeah, the term is very annoying.

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, the cat is out of the bag and out of my control.

Maybe if you were using a more popular 3D software you'd have a chance, but the tiny lightWave user-base has no cultural pull at the moment.

Des, thank you and I agree with you.

That is why I have concentrated on real estate agents (I create spheries of their MLS listings and local real estate agents have started adopting the word), lay friends on Facebook, colleagues who work at Google, my fellow "Google Trusted Photographers" where I specialize in spheries for Google Street View, my children's college-aged friends at UC San Diego and CalPoly San Luis Obispo who have started adopting the word, other lay-person environments who have started adopting the word, and my writings on Google+, Facebook, Newtek forums, and other social networks and forums.

I stopped into the LightWave community as just one of many stops along my travels.

I have no idea what the future brings, but I do look forward to Newtek creating a Spherie Gallery in the future for everyone to view and appreciate the wonderful artwork created by a fabulous community of talented artists and technicians.

Now it all comes into focus.