Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spheries in LightWave 3D

Spheries in LightWave 3D

This tutorial describes how to create a spherie--also called a photo sphere--in LightWave 3D that is compatible with Google, Facebook, Flikr, Samsung VR, and many other 360 capable applications.

This tutorial was created for the benefit of LightWave 3D artists. It simply collects and organizes in one document information available on the web. No commercial software is required other than LightWave 3D.

Please take the Spore Coliseum Spherie generated from this tutorial for a "spin" here:

Pan up to see the flying Spores. Pan down to see the NewTek logo.

The Spore Coliseum tutorial LightWave scene files are here (282MB).

Maybe one day NewTek will host a "Spherie Gallery" in addition to the standard Gallery so that from a web browser or with some VR googles strapped on we can all take an inside look at the incredible artwork people post here.

Enjoy,
    Daniel
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spore-coliseum-small.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	135458
    Last edited by precedia; 01-03-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Tourbillon Spherie

Here is a spherie of a Tri-Axial Tourbillon I modeled and rendered in LightWave. The spherie was generated using the techniques in the tutorial.

The Tourbillon was created for the custom watch face I was designing/creating for my LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edition smart watch. I always wanted a Tourbillon watch but couldn't afford their $200,000 US plus price tag, so a virtual one was the next best.

This tri-axial tourbillon was created by analyzing this Girard-Perregaux advertisement.

My LightWave toubillon is animated just like in the Girard-Perregaux video.

Daniel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tourbillon-01.jpg 
Views:	500 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	135460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tourbillon-02.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	135461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tourbillon-03.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	135462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tourbillon-06.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	135463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tourbillon-04.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	613.0 KB 
ID:	135464  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tourbillon-05.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	814.2 KB 
ID:	135465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tourbillon-07.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	779.7 KB 
ID:	135466  
    Last edited by precedia; 01-03-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Codex Posterus Spherie

Here are some spheries of my early and experimental Codex Posterus work. These spheries were created using the techniques in the tutorial.

The images are some of my early experiments in animated illumination and animated illustration in three dimensions entitled “Codex Posterus” (Book of the Future).

Some experimental videos are here and here (well before I could create spherie videos; you probably see where this is heading...).

Daniel

Name:	shapeimage_2-5.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	135467  
    Last edited by precedia; 01-03-2017 at 04:19 PM.

This looks fantastic... Very generous of you to share, and very helpful info about adding the metadata to jpegs.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Spherie of BenchmarkMarbles

As a demonstration of the spherie tutorial, here is a spherie of the BenchmarkMarbles scene that ships with the LightWave 2015 Content (Update 2):

I am not sure if I am allowed to redistribute the BenchmarkMarbles scene, but all I did was change the camera as shown in the attached image, hit render, and applied the metadata to the JPEG as outlined in the tutorial. Oh, I did clone a couple of marbles, moved the camera to the center, and reduced the maximum samples so it didn't take so long to render the 7776x3888 image.

Looking through the Gallery, it would be awesome if artists created spheries of their work so we could look at them from the inside (via a browser or with my VR headset). In a subsequent post I will highlight some of my favorites from the Gallery and maybe create a few more spherie examples.

Daniel

Name:	BenchmarkMarbles-spherie-camera.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	135475  

Starship Spherie

A spherie of the Starship scene that ships with the LightWave 2015 content.

Daniel

Spherie of Gusteau's Kitchen (Ratatouille)

A spherie of Gusteau's Kitchen from Pixar's Ratatouille. I converted this scene to LightWave subpatch objects from the original CGTalk Lighting Challenge #29: Pixar Tribute: Gusteau's Kitchen (Ratatouille). The scene is not textured or properly lit. I enabled render lines.

The LightWave scene file and objects are here.

It's really cool to use VR headgear to stand in the middle of the kitchen and look around.

Spherie away,
    Daniel
    Last edited by precedia; 01-05-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Spherie of Natural History Museum

A spherie of the Natural History Museum scene from the CGTalk lighting challenge #17.

I converted the CGTalk scene to LightWave here.

Spherie away,
    Daniel

Great tutorial, thanks for putting it together!

Spherie of Tyranny

Thank you Derek.

Here is a spherie of the scene I created for my blog Tyranny of the Majority - Plato on Proposition 8.

Compare this spherie to the original flat image in the blog. I, personally, like the context the spherie provides.

I also like that Facebook and Google have adopted support for spheries in a first-class manner for easy social networking with both technical and lay people alike.

Cheers,
    Daniel

The Loft Spherie

Here is a spherie of The Loft scene created by Oscar Anchondo. My apologies to Oscar for not having the reflection blurring node available on my OS X rendering platform and therefore the imperfect render.

A second camera spherie viewpoint is available on Google Photos and Fickr.

More details about Oscar's work can be found in his LightWave gallery and in this LightWave newsletter article about Oscar.

Daniel

Casa Lago Spherie

Here is a spherie of the Casa Lago scene created by Oscar Anchondo and that he graciously made available to the LightWave community. My apologies to Oscar for not having the correct HDRI sky image and therefore the render is not faithful to the original.

Daniel
    Last edited by precedia; 01-31-2017 at 11:09 PM.

Horizon Spherie

Here is a spherie of the Horizon scene generously made available for free to the LightWave community by the artist Stewart Wood. My apologies to Stewart for not including the star in the scene (it wasn't included in the LightWave files and I didn't have time to place an object into the spherie). This spherie really does need the star added. If I have more time...

Daniel

Arachnid Spherie

I managed to snap this spherie in an abandoned warehouse just prior to this huge arachnid thankfully scurring away.

Seriously, I created this spherie using LightWave's "genoma spider walk" sample scene.

I am experimenting with Christian Bloch's Smart IBL HRDI tools for these types of spheries.

Daniel

Spherie Videos in LightWave 3D Collection

Here is my Spheries in LightWave 3D Google Photos album that summarizes all the spherie images in this thread.

I created a Spherie Videos in LightWave 3D thread as a place for spherie videos.

Daniel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast