Thread: Drive 0 may not be fast enough.

Drive 0 may not be fast enough.

Today when we were ready to start a show I noticed the Drive 0 may not be fast enough message on top of the screen. We have a 455 upgraded to 460. Drive 0 is our removable Media drive that we always write or HD archive to. We only send one file to it per broadcast and it is a High Quality Web MP4. Very small data rate file compared to a MPEG2. We were streaming live at the time so the Flash encoder was also working away and writing an archive to the D internal drive.

We stopped the stream and swapped the removable drive for another one from our mobile 460 unit. Once the stream started and we hit record it started exhibiting the same behavior after about a minute. You could see the recording timer in red actually stall and stop. We were sending an output to an SD tape deck and saving via a Firestore drive so we still had back up even if it was only SD. We had a show to stream so we went with it. Streamed fine.

We recorded another show (non live) after that and just sent the Record data to the D drive and it worked great.

In the past we have had small problems with the Tricaster and creating a new project solved them. I created a new project and setup it up. Pressed stream and record and the same thing happened. This is leading me to believe we may have a hardware issue on our removable drive bay. Anyone else encountered this?

I brought up an External USB drive dock that we can drop the Media drive in and hooked it up via USB. I know the message shows when we start the drive may not be fast enough but the data stream for mp4 is miniscule and well under what USB2 can handle. I tried it for a while and it recorded fine on the external USB drive.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered something like this. For now we will keep running on USB 2. Did I diagnose properly or is there something else I should try before getting a repair done.

Thanks,
    Philip Hinkle
    State Bar of Wisconsin

TriCaster 460 and Certified Operator
    JVC GY-HM750 2-4 cams

Hi Philip,

I've seen that in the past, and it was temporary - may have been related to the particular build I was running. Are you on latest build?

Thanks

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JPulera View Post
    Hi Philip,

I've seen that in the past, and it was temporary - may have been related to the particular build I was running. Are you on latest build?

Thanks

Jeff
    Not sure it's the absolute latest build but we did update in the last few months. For today's show we are running the archive on the external USB and it is going fine.
    Philip Hinkle
    State Bar of Wisconsin

JVC GY-HM750 2-4 cams

Just to update what is going on with this. I have loaded the latest build of the 460 Standard edition and the problem still exists so it is not a software release kind of fix. Our next step is to contact support. In the meantime we are using an external drive in a USB dock for our extra archive recordings and it is working fine.
    Philip Hinkle
    State Bar of Wisconsin

JVC GY-HM750 2-4 cams

Just an update in the event someone else encounters this. We did end up sending the unit in to support and our unit was diagnosed with a bad motherboard so it is being replaced.

Now my other question. We were told by support that our media drives we sent along were both defective because they were too slow. One drive is a 1tb drive we got with our unit from the reseller where we purchased it. The other is a brand new Western Digital Black 2tb drive that was empty. How is that drive too slow unless it is truly a defective unit? Do the units expect 10,000 rpm drives? We used our original 1tb drive for almost 3 years with no issues till the Motherboard started going bad.

We don't normally record on the NewTek in any format but mp4 for our archives so data rates are very minimal. We've even recorded to external USB2.0 drives with no problem. On a rare occasion we plan to edit something later on we will record in a much higher bit rate but we have never seen a dropped frame in those recordings on our original 7200rpm drive. Just curious what the recommended drives are that can sustain the rates the Tricaster needs.

We are happy to have it repaired but this whole drive thing has me stumped.
    Philip Hinkle
    State Bar of Wisconsin

JVC GY-HM750 2-4 cams

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the update on this. I had a similar error message on my 460 (also an upgrade from a 455 originally) a while back and put it down to a bug as the record during that session was fine and I've not seen the error since it was updated. Will look into it in more detail again if it comes up in the future. As for the drives, I think you're right that the standard/recommended drive speed is/was 7200rpm and not seen anything about that changing, but would be good to know if something has changed.
    Simon Malone
    Certified Tricaster Operator
    FreelanceVisionMixer.co.uk
    About Me | Day Rates & Kit Hire

I assume they require a constant write speed based on the highest bit rate possible for the media drive options. Anything slower is deemed as defective because it has to work for the most stressful scenario. In our case we only record mp4 archives of our programs at the high quality which is only 8mbs. Heck a USB2.0 Flash Drive can probably sustain that speed. Will be interesting to test those drives when our unit arrives back at the studio. My guess is both drives will be perfectly adequate for our use.
    Philip Hinkle
    State Bar of Wisconsin

JVC GY-HM750 2-4 cams

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar
    Hi Philip,

We are also using a 455 upgraded to a 460 and now to 460 AE2.
    When we ran into this same issue, using the same drive that had worked for years, we contacted support and they started a remote session with our 460 and did a drive speed test. It was our D: drive that was messing up. Turns out the speed test showed it was too slow to record on to. We basically copied the contents over to our removable drive (temporarily), formatted the D drive and then copied the stuff back. The speed test showed MUCH better speeds and it has been fine ever since.

We have upgraded the removable drive to a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. It was pricey, but it records at THREE times the speed of the standard drives. It is also a breeze to pop-out and quickly off load even very large files. We felt it was worth the investment since, although we also have redundant recording, can't afford to worry about failing/slow drives.

We are very tempted to replace the C/D drive with an SSD as well, but have read mixed reviews from users that have done this. Maybe after we can afford a second Tricaster and this one becomes the 'backup'.

Keep us posted to how things perform when you get your unit back.

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE3 + LC-11
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, Spark & Bird Dog converters
    http://reddogrecords.com