Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SHQ2 Codec

SHQ2 Codec

Last Friday I recorded our 3 hour broadcast in our TriCaster 8000. Today I gave the enormous .mov file to the client who is unable to do anything with it. So I put the file into my Mac and tried to play it but I get a codec error and I cannot convert or play it with Quicktime player or VLC. Adobe Media Encoder doesn't like it, either. It is the SHQ2 codec.

Back in August, BEFORE the recent update to 4-0-161023c and the client had no problem with the file I sent him. Which brings up 3 questions:

How can I convert this footage to a format he can use?

Did the default recording format in my 8000 change with my update to 4-0-161023c?

How do I change the recording format inside the 8000 to avoid this problem in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Codec.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	135312
    -Terry Moore
    TriCaster 8000AE2
    3Play 425
    LiveText 3.0

First, make sure you have installed the NewTek Quicktime codec on the Mac. These codecs install into the user folder, make sure you install under the user account that you are going to be using the Quicktime/SHQ files with.

You can verify that the codecs are installed by going into your User folder. The library folder is hidden by default, once you are in the User folder, click on the gear at the top of the window, choose 'Show Video Options' and in the window that appears click the checkbox by 'Show Library Folder'. Now, open the Library folder, then the Quicktime folder. Inside you should see 6 'SpeedHQ#.component' files.

That should get things like Adobe CC working.

Quicktime X, won't see the SpeedHQ codec because it doesn't support everything that Quicktime 7 supports, but you can install Quicktime 7 on OSX and use that to view files.
    https://support.apple.com/kb/dl923?locale=en_US

VLC doesn't support 3rd party codecs at all, it will not playback SpeedHQ files.

One other thing to check.

I thought that more recent builds of TriCaster changed from the SpeedHQ codec to the XDCAM style codec. The advantage here is that you don't need the SpeedHQ codec on a system. However, you do need the Apple 'ProApp' codecs installed. These codecs installed automatically with any Apple ProApp (FCP-X, Motion or Compressor), you can also install the FCP-X trial which will install the codecs on a system. VLC will also play XDCAM style TriCaster files.
    Last edited by kanep; 12-12-2016 at 03:34 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks for the reply. But my client is using the Adobe CC on Windows. Is there a way for him to view those files? Even Youtube wouldn't accept the SpeedHQ files.
    And is there a way to watch them on the TriCaster computer via Windows Explorer to verify the recordings without importing them into the TriCaster session?

Can I change the format the TriCaster records in? The 3Play 425 records in an .mpg format that the client can use without any trouble. Why doesn't the TriCaster have the same format option?

Can I install the Apple 'ProApp' codecs on the TriCaster which is running Windows 7?
    -Terry Moore
    TriCaster 8000AE2
    3Play 425
    LiveText 3.0

On Windows, all you will need is the NewTek codec pack to be installed. That will get them working with Adobe CC and Quicktime Player. VLC still won't play the SpeedHQ files but it will play the XDCAM style ones.

You can't choose the recording format in current TriCaster software versions, many applications in the past had problems with MPEG files which is why it was changed to Quicktime. Now with Apple abandoning Quicktime on Windows, we might see few issues until things settle down. That was part of the reason to change the codec from SpeedHQ to XDCAM.

Apple only makes ProApps for OSX, so you cannot install them on Windows. But there isn't any need for them to get files working, as the NewTek codec support supports the SpeedHQ and XDCAM style codecs that different TriCaster releases can record.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    On Windows, all you will need is the NewTek codec pack to be installed. That will get them working with Adobe CC and Quicktime Player.
    So in order to check my recordings, I will need to import them into the TriCaster? Or is there a way to play them from Windows Explorer (by just double-clicking the file and opening it in Windows Media Player or some other software)?

How do I know if the codec pack is installed? And where do I get it if it isn't?
    I did a search for "codec pack" at Newtek.com and didn't come up with anything that looked like a codec pack.

This seems much more complicated than it needs to be.
    -Terry Moore
    TriCaster 8000AE2
    3Play 425
    LiveText 3.0

The codecs can be downloaded the NewTek download site, at the bottom of the page are links for both Windows and Mac. http://new.tk/dl

Make sure Apple Quicktime is installed on the Windows system before you install the codec. https://support.apple.com/kb/dl837?locale=en_US

Once they are installed, the files should open in Quicktime 7 Player, which is the best way to test.

That should be it. While I've given a bit more information the above comments, it really is install and done. This shouldn't be any more difficult than any other product that would use an additional Quicktime codec (like RED RAW or Avid DNxHD).
    Last edited by kanep; 12-12-2016 at 05:22 PM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.
    -Terry Moore
    TriCaster 8000AE2
    3Play 425
    LiveText 3.0

Sorry for this stupid question, but I can't get my Adobe After Effects files with transparency to play with transparency.
    The .mov files are grayed out. MP4s show but have no transparency. When you talk about installing Codecs are you talking about on the computer that creates them (a Mac), or are you talking about putting the codecs on the Tricaster (pc).
    Could use some help figuring this out.

Quote Originally Posted by gaylek View Post
    Sorry for this stupid question, but I can't get my Adobe After Effects files with transparency to play with transparency.
    The .mov files are grayed out. MP4s show but have no transparency. When you talk about installing Codecs are you talking about on the computer that creates them (a Mac), or are you talking about putting the codecs on the Tricaster (pc).
    Could use some help figuring this out.
    I'm no expert by any means, but I do know that not all formats support Alpha channels. I did a quick search online and found this statement: "H.264 can be exported to a variety of formats like MP4 or 3GP. Unfortunately, H.264 does not feature Alpha Channel support, so you’ll want to look elsewhere for video that requires transparency."

That could be your problem in this case.
    -Terry Moore
    TriCaster 8000AE2
    3Play 425
    LiveText 3.0

Thank you for doing a search. That is definitely part of the problem. I can export in Apple ProRes 444 and keep the alpha channel. The .mov definitely has alpha channel. But when I export to a format the tricaster likes like H264 Mp4 then the option to keep the alpha channel goes away. So I have to find a way to get files on the tricaster with alpha channel in a way the Tricaster will play them.

As has been mentioned, H.264 doesn't support Alpha. As Kane suggested earlier, installing the NewTek Quicktime codecs and rendering to one of these (several of them support alpha) is one way to go. Otherwise, use a Quicktime codec (other than ProRes, which is not supported on TriCaster except by using the Import feature to convert it) that does support. Example codecs are the Quicktime Animation and PNG formats.

There's another similar thread here recently ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Okay good info. I can try the animation. PNG made hundreds of individual slides for a simple lower third so that isn't practical. I tried doing what the guy said and install the codecs but I have a question. I put them on the Mac I make the graphics on, nothing seemed to happen. I double clicked the DMG and it blinked and that was it. Nothing appearred to install. When I go to AE and export there is still no setting for New Tek. Or, are you supposed to download the dmg on the Tricaster? Sorry for the confusion, but when nothing worked with the install I just tried to figure it out. Thank you for your help!

PNG made hundreds of individual slides for a simple lower third so that isn't practical.
    Actually, this is not true of the Quicktime PNG codec (not surprisingly, this creates a single Quicktime file.)

I double clicked the DMG and it blinked and that was it.
    I haven't installed the Mac codecs for an age, but someone here will have. Broadly, a DMG file is a disk image, and double-clicking it will mount it as though it was an external drive. The installer would be inside it, I expect.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thank you again for sticking with me and trying to help. My former job I was a tech trainer and ttrieacher of video production for 20 years, so I know macs and dmgs and am knowledgeable although admittedly ignorant of the tricaster and it's peculiarities. It is somewhat of an antiquated beast in my eyes right now. There is no option to export as a QuickTime PNG. Only quicktime, or PNG sequence. I downloaded a NewTek codec for this, which has the disk image you click on. When you double click it, it blinks for a split second but nothing installs, no package loads to the desktop, nothing happens. In my experience this means it is an older file and it is not compatible with my current OS 10.12.6. I assume I need an updated one from Tricaster. Also, do I download the DMG for macs and place it on the Mac I make the graphics on or do I download the DMG for PCs and installing on the Tricaster (PC). I assume the mac so I get some options when I export, but since nothing happens I'm thinking maybe the Tricaster. Thank you for your help

There is no option to export as a QuickTime PNG.
    QuickTime is a wrapper, not a codec. There are hordes of QuickTime codecs, including Animation and PNG - both of which can optionally include alpha. I'm not sure how recent this video is, but it will be something like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jnUmVHPJshE
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast