Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what tools do you use these days for sketching ?

what tools do you use these days for sketching ?

Hi,

out of curiosity, what do you use for sketching and drawing these days? Tablets, Wacom, Software, brush sets etc ?

Pencil / paper, Wacom tablet, Adobe Illustrator.

Kinda depends upon the project and whether it is in 2D or 3D to start and/or finish, or whether it is ultimately a 3D, but an ortho and perspective 2D sketch helps to flesh the idea out. In most cases, pencil is chosen in the very first stages while spitballing ideas. Paper and graphite are cheap and fast. Can be used anywhere. Sometimes, an end product that is to be 3D starts in 3D as simple models/scenes and then evolved.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

iPad Pro and Procreate. Best combo I've ever used.

I have a hand strap on the iPad Pro case so I can hold it like a painting palette, and it's just gold, baby, gold.

-Chilton

I use a Wacom Cintiq 13HD. I love the texture of the screen for drawing, pressure sensitivity is excellent, the pen isn't battery powered and the buttons are easily assigned functions for working with software. It's also great for working with 3D apps especially Zbrush and LW Modeler. Here's a Photoshop pen and ink style drawing to show pressure sensitivity at work.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	135281

If I were to invest now I'd look at a Win surface Pro, though they are even more expensive as they're self contained computers. The tech is also becoming increasingly sophisticated so tablets are catching up fast.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Mischief on my wacom.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    Pencil and paper. Gadgets are okay, but you can't pin all your sketches and notes on them up around you to have a holistic view whilst you work. Unless you print them out of course.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
    Pencil and paper. Gadgets are okay, but you can't pin all your sketches and notes on them up around you to have a holistic view whilst you work. Unless you print them out of course.
    Thats what second monitors are for. ;p

Pencil and paper, but then again I'm a fifty-something old git.

That's been my medium of choice since the 1970s and I ain't gonna change. I keep an artist's pad and several well-sharpened Old Skool wooden drafting pencils in my laptop case when I go to meet clients for brainstorming.

Once I have an idea knocked out well enough to do work on then I might go to the Wacom Intuos and Xara Designer Pro (competitor to Illustrator and, IMNSDHO, kicks Illy to the curb) to do a vector treatment that I can export to LW or AE as/if needed. Sometimes all I do is scan the sketches and throw them up on the reference layer.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Interesting,
    pencil and paper seems to be the clear winner here

Quote Originally Posted by madno View Post
    Interesting,
    pencil and paper seems to be the clear winner here
    LOL! And people complain about LW's undo; Paper and Pencil's undo is super slow and destructive; and let's not even get into its Redo!

I used to use P&P, but that was more something to do with timing. I was at a point in my life where I did not have a computer. And I got into exploring my roots in art and drawing more deeply. Then when I did get a computer again, I kept going with it. And when it came to designing arch stuff it started to get rather tedious to print out references from my modeling app to draw over, then draw, scan and repeat where needed. Or just draw scan and then use in a modeling app. So then I eventually decided to get a pen and tablet. Pretty much the preferred way now. And I just use photoshop because that is where it all ends up anyway. But I really like a few of the sketching apps. Right now I don't have a preference. Though I was using sketchbook pro for a while.

Discipline pencil and paper teaches.

The only Autodesk product I have.. Sketchbook.

And guys, if you have never heard of Kuadro (free reference image viewer/organizer), you must check it out - it rocks: http://kruelgames.com/tools/kuadro/

got back into sketching more this year too and not just 2D but 3D as in ZBrush, Sketchbook pro I find better than Photoshop because of the multiple undo's, the history pallet makes things more of a chore, have used a Wacom for over fifteen years and the separation of tablet and screen is far preferable to say the Cintiq or haptic tablet, though I have a iPad Pro and find the pencil to be exceptional I still find a thirty inch monitor hooked up to a Wacom to be the best, I started out life as an illustrator and the one great thing about digital technology is never having to stair around the edge of your hand to see what you are doing, not to mention the ingrained filth on the edge of you right hand from work that never ever seemed to scrub off completely

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast