Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best interpolated GI setting for Interiors

Your best interpolated GI setting for Interiors

If you're doing pro level arch-viz work I'd like to get some of your standard GI settings as a starting point. Just that I might have to do a bunch of these over the next few weeks and I'd appreciate some help. I'd prefer to at least be starting with some basically decent settings before I start adjusting.

For animated scenes DJ?

Visualization FreeLance THIBAULT's Avatar
    Hi DJ,

Here, we successfully follow the guide from Except!

http://www.except.nl/lightwave/Radio...de96/index.htm

Always actuality !

Hope it's help you !
    Last edited by THIBAULT; 11-11-2016 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bazsa73 View Post
    For animated scenes DJ?
    This, static or animated? Also, how big?

That guide is very good, but it's outdated, with importance sampling you can now drastically reduce your rays per evaluation for exterior shots. I recommend using a blurred HDRI image as a backdrop to light your scene. You could also try using a phisical sun and sky or just a gradient with the appropiate colors and a dome light with 1.5 degreees of aperture as a sun (to get slight soft edges on long shadows). As far as GI go with 3 bounces. 100-300 RPE, 50-100 secondary 3 minimum pixel spacing. This should give you good results with decent times. If you have small details lower the bounces to 1 and up the rays too 400 (a big hit on render time but you'll get realistic shadowing on small crevices.

It's difficult to give more specific suggestions without other infos.

Just a note about importance sampling, since we are speaking of interior, when ON it increases the pre-process calculation a lot (sometimes a good 30%), but it provides a cleaner result with the same number of RPE, in term of splotches. So it can be disabled to speedup everything if the difference is not much noticeable.

About MinPS and MaxPS, this settings basically controls how "tight" the GI solution is, and the size of the splotches, but I find useful to increase this values if the final render has a bigger resolution than the look dev render test. In some situations this settings prevent also light leaks from lumi poly or strange geometry, if MinPS are too high, so better be carefull and do full size limited region test of the critical area.

Sure it depends from the situation...but these are my general setting of GI.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sett.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	135064

Thanks people, it's for stills, office furniture in office settings for catalog.

I could swear I read Exteriors.. Yeah the settings I talked about would be a bit low for interiors. Still the settings Niko uses are in my opinion unnecessarily high. 3 bounces for me is the sweet spot, after that the difference is too little to warrant the extra render time.
    Interiors with big windows always look better so try to choose to use those if possible. To simulate light coming from the exterior I use a white dome light with an angle of 1.5 to simulate the sun and another bluish one with an angle of 60 to simulate the sky. I place the window glass in a separate layer and uncheck shadows and radiosity from the object render properties to let more light in and get better render times. I have tried luminous polygons, area lights, super-bright backdrops and portal lights to simulate the light from the window and I'm now happy with dome lights at 60º. The render times are better than with area or portal lights, they show up in specular (unlike luminous polygons) and are quite controllable.

Ok, so fortunately you don't need animated GI.

Here my 2 cents:
    considering that this is for a catalogue and it will be printed, all the work will be in the shaders, the lights and models, to get an (almost) photoreal result.

GI settings are basically for troubleshooting shadows and splotches in the renders: besides the bounces and the features (enable transparency, directional rays etc), they do not impact the overall quality of the render, so leave it at the very end of the process.

I would consider the follows though, because they have impacts on some settings:

- if there is a high intense light (DP sun) coming from the outside (because can causes many splotches in indirect illuminated areas like corners and occluded areas -> high RPE and SBR)
    - if there are luminous polygons (same, they need a lot of RPE and SBR to avoid splotches)
    - if there are CG lw lights, like areas etc (they introduce some noise, very easy to clean up, but they helps a lot to get a splotches-free render)
    - if there are mixed HDR and lights (you can try to enable-disable importance sampling because you can speed up the render, or get a cleaner result with same RPE)
    - if you have many transparent objects (because you need Enable Transparency and Directional rays ON to avoid unrealistic results, but brace yourself for incredibly high pre-process times)

Everything else is about sampling to get noise free lights and surfaces. Speaking of, do not underestimate Shading and Lights samplings, because in some situations I find that they clean up much better than Camera AA with AS.

Thanks again, I've bookmarked this thread and will refer back to it as I start the project.

@S0nny you're still selling your kray license? You're using native lw for interiors?

What about the effect of over exposure outside windows, any tip or tricks for that effect?

You can have a look here:
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....ugh-dielectric
    But it requires a "worldsphere" object around the scene (does not work with textured environment afaik).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast