Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Cycles for Lightwave ? Tip and trick ?

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Okay, please understand, I say all this to encourage you. This advice is to help you avoid mistakes and frustration that might cause you to give up.
    Not frustration but just missing of times, before I have little time but now I have more time I hope to do it more quickly.

You need to get the very basic stuff working and stable, before beginning implementation of additional functionality on top of those basics. First off, focus on producing a plugin package that registers itself as a ExtRenderHandler with LW, with "do-nothing" callback routines that just log occurrence, or similar. Once you have that working and stable, focus on getting the options callback working to display a simple UI (just a splash screen, initially). Remember, crashing code is neither "stable" nor "working".
    I know and that i do it from now

BTW, you mention that you're seeing crashes with the existing code, but hopefully you're also paying attention to what kinds of crashes they are, and where they are occurring, as that info is CRITICAL to debugging them. What kinds of crashes are you seeing? Are they occurring in your code, Lightwave's code (typically meaning you've handed LW something incorrect), or somewhere else (if so, where)?
    Yes it crashes because of my bad code and often quickly coded that mean it brights some dysfunction... Now I know what is causing this issue

My best advice to you: You need to approach this work in progressive stages.
    Sure thanks for your tips.

Further, until you can query all the basic scene info (geometry, lights, cameras), and are able to produce basic "clay" renders with Cycles handing the pixmaps back to LW, there's ZERO point in worrying about surfacing and fancier stuff like volumetrics -- attempting any sort of implementation effort there is getting WAY ahead of yourself. Why? Simple, because the data structures you create to hold the queried geometry, lights info, and camera info all play CRITICAL roles in setting up the data structures you'll need to prepare for defining surfaces. Attempting to define or implement surfacing before you have stable, working implementations of the basics is somewhat pointless, because you inherently need to reference the data structures and functionality of those basics as part of implementing Cycles-compatible surfacing.
    I am working on that seriously but of course I will make simple than complex and it will come after later.

Only after all that (properly passing and rendering geometry, lights, cameras) is working reliably, do they really start to pursue surfacing, because without working geometry, light, and camera integrations, there's no way to tell whether even simple surfaces are being processed appropriately, let alone more complex surfaces. Without working integrations for lights and cameras, the render engine is missing required vectors needed to solve even basic shader equations, and without working geometry integration, there's nowhere for those surfaces to be applied.

Hope that all makes sense.
    Just wait and see for coming news
    Last edited by 3dslider; 11-27-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Go for it it will be great to have cycles in lightwave

For @dpont :
    Hi,

Can you help me for LWShadingGeometry, can you explain how is it working for nodehandler ? Do you have an example for this LWShadingGeometry on how to access and rendered in pathtracing ? Need to make a refresh from my idea...

Thank you and keep it up your project !

LWShadingGeometry is exposed in lwrender.h,
    you need first to memset it,
    filling geometry, ids, matrices and subsructures (exposed in the same header),
    you have also a few sample code lines which an help in the sdk/sample/primitive
    in intersect(), also a few others to fill the ray, shadingFuncs etc.

Denis.

Got it!

But I want to make a node as Principled BSDF in Cycles to Lightwave (it is always problematic), how to make my node creating from scratch and make my output material (BSDF output) to surface material(BSDF input) and to get a result for color from shading ?? I see to surfaceshader in doc it can create or evaluate surface so I need some clarification this node and surface shader(Is it same from ShadingFuncs?). Any tutorial from that or pseudo code, please? Or well, in LW SDK 2015, there is shader called specular node it is great but it does not work in LW 2019, can someone possible to adapt in LW 2019 not COLOR output but BSDF output to see with example ??
    Last edited by 3dslider; 12-16-2019 at 04:31 AM.

Ok I adapted for specular node in LW 2019 but I am missing from Lighting and BSDF Output, how is it working ? (Warning C++ here)

specular_node.zip

Can you help to that in to rearrange ?

Thanks

The fact that Lightwave is uncertain does not please me too much, I spent too much Cycles for Lightwave development and frankly neither other real developers want to help me nor the part of Newtek either, in short it is dead in advance so it makes not very professional .. So I’m announcing the immediate end to my development of Cycles for Lightwave. I will dedicate the two open source 3D software now. Sorry Cycles source code is very cool but for LW SDK is like black box so very difficult to adapt.

Thanks for your support before and now, sorry but the situation is changing.

Aww Dammit !

I had hopes.

The choice is understandable.

Thanks Tho'   
    Last edited by erikals; 01-12-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Oh no, what a shame. Hopefully, if the LightWave horizon becomes more clear, you could start again in future maybe?
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Many thanks for trying though.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dslider View Post
    The fact that Lightwave is uncertain does not please me too much, I spent too much Cycles for Lightwave development and frankly neither other real developers want to help me nor the part of Newtek either, in short it is dead in advance so it makes not very professional .. So I’m announcing the immediate end to my development of Cycles for Lightwave. I will dedicate the two open source 3D software now. Sorry Cycles source code is very cool but for LW SDK is like black box so very difficult to adapt.

Thanks for your support before and now, sorry but the situation is changing.
    Thatīs what I feared, sad to hear, but It is very understandable, good luck with whatever development you pursue.

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Oh no, what a shame. Hopefully, if the LightWave horizon becomes more clear, you could start again in future maybe?
    Maybe if it is, but they should make a big effort and a big change so that there is agreement between developers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Aww Dammit !

I had hopes.

The choice is understandable.

Thanks Tho'   
    Thanks to Erikals

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Many thanks for trying though.
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Thatīs what I feared, sad to hear, but It is very understandable, good luck with whatever development you pursue.
    Thanks too it is possible i will come back but from now it is not.

Maybe if it is, but they should make a big effort and a big change so that there is agreement between developers.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to Erikals

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Aboslutely, I think you are making the right decisions, I also mentioned in a thread that Newtek/lightwave must gain the trust back for users/potential users third party users when it comes to information about development..or you simply live in uncertainty and loose faith in the product, I think we can see that happening a lot now unfortunately..I will continue to use it where I need it, but the uncertainty is there for the development, and especially considering the new owners of Newtek and considering no other current information about the longstanding no Modeler in Layou issue, and no information about the staff hiring for the development of Lightwave.

This is how they choose to handle it, and this is the way customers and third party devs react.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to Erikals

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Aboslutely, I think you are making the right decisions, I also mentioned in a thread that Newtek/lightwave must gain the trust back for users/potential users third party users when it comes to information about development..or you simply live in uncertainty and loose faith in the product, I think we can see that happening a lot now unfortunately..I will continue to use it where I need it, but the uncertainty is there for the development, and especially considering the new owners of Newtek and considering no other current information about the longstanding no Modeler in Layou issue, and no information about the staff hiring for the development of Lightwave.

This is how they choose to handle it, and this is the way customers and third party devs react.

I say, bid your time, and loose the pressure of having to code and develop for it, learn what you can when you feel for it..and let the Lightwave team proove something along the upcoming year that will empower you with some trust, what happens next is up to you, if they manage that..and if you have the passion back with some help elsewhere..maybe you can get back to it.

Could very well be that NT is implementing it themselves - so yeah - they probably wouldn't want to be to helpful.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 01-12-2020 at 10:34 PM.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Could very well be that NT is implementing it themselves - so yeah - they probably wouldn't want to be to helpful.
    That is the best case scenario of course, and perhaps not necessarely Cycles, could even be better..allowing for full material acess along with other stuff as well, but that is a cake of hope upon cake of hope guess.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast