Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycles for Lightwave ? Tip and trick ?

For a long delay I'm sorry so after a break of my time i take back but since i have a lot of work for 2019/2020 due from different project for my open source, good news i solved quite problems to Cycles for Lighthwave and there is a lot things to finish it.

Thing is updated :

- Last Cycles version is here, support as random walk subsurface scattering, Unified rendering kernel for CPU and GPU, Denoising, Multi-GPU support, Principled Hair BSDF/Volume and Cryptomatte (wip).

I am prepared to show something as screenshot but that will wait a little while longer

Cycles for Lightwave is for Lightwave 2019 from now.

I use Lightwave SDK more and more, i am curious if i can make a custom for Preview VPR with a support to Cycles for Lightwave (!)

See you later.

Wow, unexpected news! Thank you for the renewed hope!

Quote Originally Posted by 3dslider View Post
    ...i am curious if i can make a custom for Preview VPR with a support to Cycles for Lightwave (!)
    You probably use extrender header for normal rendering,
    but IPR/VPR compute pre-render at a preview stage,
    the sdk doesn't give access to LW VPR access,
    so you need to write your own,
    using API evaluate functions calls for camera, light etc,
    displaying in a viewport is possible with custobj header?

..(edit) or a non-modal panel with raster functions?

I addition to what I said above, this kind of preview
    evaluate calls are threaded, including init/newtime/cleanup
    calls per thread, which is not safe, except using
    a special comring message for locking/unlocking
    VPR/IPR while other programs need it.

Denis.
    Last edited by dpont; 09-22-2019 at 01:57 AM.

3dslider, this would be Awesome!

Last edited by erikals; 09-22-2019 at 02:04 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by dpont View Post
    You probably use extrender header for normal rendering,
    but IPR/VPR compute pre-render at a preview stage,
    the sdk doesn't give access to LW VPR access,
    so you need to write your own,
    using API evaluate functions calls for camera, light etc,
    displaying in a viewport is possible with custobj header?

..(edit) or a non-modal panel with raster functions?

I addition to what I said above, this kind of preview
    evaluate calls are threaded, including init/newtime/cleanup
    calls per thread, which is not safe, except using
    a special comring message for locking/unlocking
    VPR/IPR while other programs need it.

Denis.
    Hi Denis,

Ok but what do you think from this, i think it can make a preview function but it is low level... You think for creating my own is to use Raster stuff for realtime preview ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    Wow, unexpected news! Thank you for the renewed hope!
    You are welcome

- - - Updated - - -

@erikals : Yeah and thank you

More info to come later so stay tuned !

Wow, unexpected but awesome news... thanks for the quick update!!!
    Would love to have Cycles in LightWave, it would truly be amazing.

Good luck with your continued project!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

...Ok but what do you think from this, i think it can make a preview function but it is low level... You think for creating my own is to use Raster stuff for realtime preview ?..!
    Unfortunatly Viper is dead even not legacy, that's a problem with sdk doc,
    it is neglicted in some parts or not clear.

I had this issue with DP Filter node editor which used Viper,
    but since it is no more there, in LW2018-19, it uses a panel (not xpanel) with raster functions.

Denis.

Havenīt followed this that much.

What is the premise of Cycles for Lightwave?
    will it be Only a payed version, or a free version, or maybe a free lite version and a payed version, and if payed?.. what price may it land on?
    Will there be issues with lw PBR materials?

Cycles sounds interesting for sure, especially if it could render hair in the same speed Blender does, but I reckon there is more to that than just the render engine?
    If it worked with volumetrics, pbr materials and hair..in almost the same manner as in blender, that would be awesome, but I would probably not buy in to it if it where too pricey since I can use blender for free, some additional cost may ..just may be justified since you would have a blender sort of render with the goodies you get from lightwave in other aspects.

I am curious to how it would work on the new lightwave volumetric system in terms of speed, and quality.

i'm super interested any ways.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Havenīt followed this that much.

What is the premise of Cycles for Lightwave?
    will it be Only a payed version, or a free version, or maybe a free lite version and a payed version, and if payed?.. what price may it land on?
    Will there be issues with lw PBR materials?

Cycles sounds interesting for sure, especially if it could render hair in the same speed Blender does, but I reckon there is more to that than just the render engine?
    If it worked with volumetrics, pbr materials and hair..in almost the same manner as in blender, that would be awesome, but I would probably not buy in to it if it where too pricey since I can use blender for free, some additional cost may ..just may be justified since you would have a blender sort of render with the goodies you get from lightwave in other aspects.

I am curious to how it would work on the new lightwave volumetric system in terms of speed, and quality.
    It is heavily in dev, at starting it will be beta free to test it and when it will stable it will be payed version but i can't say what price however it will not very expensive.

Cycles has own PBR materials so not supported by Lightwave materials.

For Hair rendering it will support from FiberFx i hope but in Blender version. Cycles has own Volumetric, i can't access to Lightwave Volumetric to Cycles, it is tricky because Cycles volumetric is so tight to Blender, i need to create a own smoke and fire to simulate it, this thing is a lot of work !

It is heavily in dev, at starting it will be beta free to test it and when it will stable it will be payed version but i can't say what price however it will not very expensive.

Cycles has own PBR materials so not supported by Lightwave materials.

For Hair rendering it will support from FiberFx i hope but in Blender version. Cycles has own Volumetric, i can't access to Lightwave Volumetric to Cycles, it is tricky because Cycles volumetric is so tight to Blender, i need to create a own smoke and fire to simulate it, this thing is a lot of work !
    I donīt follow you, it will support FiberFX? but in blender version? what does that mean?

own smoke and fire? do you mean your own cycles smoke and fire volumetric handler, that can access lightwaveīs VDB tools like gas solver? or do you mean you need to create a fluid simulation tool completely?
    seems that it also then wouldnīt be able to render out a cloud noise like that from the volumetric item, and you would have to create your own...I guess this would be a lot..lot of work and it may not include the features the new volumetric has in terms of looks etc.

I keep my thumbs up, but for me it sounds that a lot will have to be excluded for quite a while...Initially it sounded very interesting, only to fade a bit after explaining the work needed..But you know
    Keep at it though and we will se what you can bring forth to attract interest for others and me of course.

I donīt follow you, it will support FiberFX? but in blender version? what does that mean?

own smoke and fire? do you mean your own cycles smoke and fire volumetric handler, that can access lightwaveīs VDB tools like gas solver? or do you mean you need to create a fluid simulation tool completely?
    seems that it also then wouldnīt be able to render out a cloud noise like that from the volumetric item, and you would have to create your own...I guess this would be a lot..lot of work and it may not include the features the new volumetric has in terms of looks etc.

I keep my thumbs up, but for me it sounds that a lot will have to be excluded for quite a while...Initially it sounded very interesting, only to fade a bit after explaining the work needed..But you know
    Keep at it though and we will se what you can bring forth to attract interest for others and me of course.
    I mean to get FiberFx info and then apply to simulate as Blender version for nearly parameter to control for Hair with geometry and curves segments in Cycles for Lightwave, you got it ?

Yes I think a lot on how to look Volumetric stuff and it is a lot of problem for that and it is very wip, yes as support to import with file VDB (in LW SDK i don't see for control with VDB or as access...) or make a technical to voxel based smoke simulation in layout, i don't know and it is not yet fully finished but i try it because i don't know if it is good to take smoke and fire from Blender due of license as GPL. So I need to make my own.
    Last edited by 3dslider; 09-23-2019 at 05:34 PM.

I mean to get FiberFx info and then apply to simulate as Blender version for nearly parameter to control for Hair with geometry and curves segments in Cycles for Lightwave, you got it ?

Yes I think a lot on how to look Volumetric stuff and it is a lot of problem for that and it is very wip, yes as support to import with file VDB (in LW SDK i don't see for control with VDB or as access...) or make a technical to voxel based smoke simulation in layout, i don't know and it is not yet fully finished but i try it because i don't know if it is good to take smoke and fire from Blender due of license as GPL. So I need to make my own.
    Thanks for clearing it up, I just got confused when you said blender version..and by that I thought you ment a version only working in blender..which of course makes no sense.
    Blender version for fiberfx..rendering in Lightwave is exactly what I want.

As for fluids, sounds like you would be in for a huge task if you are to create your own fluids fire and smoke simulator in Lightwave, competing with what is there in the form of TurbulenceFD, and the new VDB gas solver, and what is there in the actual blender program.

But donīt let my skepticism get in the way for you..by all means, if you can cook up something that simulates faster than the VDB tools, and with better opengl presentation than the VDB tools as well as providing a PBR volumetric model unlike turbulenceFD..that would be sweet, I never jumped on TurbulenceFD since I am not satisfied with it, and part of that is due to versions often crashing, slow render..and not compatible with pbr rendering, and lack of fire and smoke presentation at the same time in opengl, and no weight emission, these complaints I have for turbulenceFD ..Is all part of blender fire and smoke simulation and rendering..For free, and it doesnīt crash either when tweaking the Principled volumetric shader.

Foremost I think it is the Hair fiberfx rendering that I just canīt tolerate, the slower rendering in cpu with pbr materials I can at least tolerate, though they are not as fast as cycles, but the fiberfx is a no no.
    Then comes the fluid stuff.
    The volumetric items stuff is a different thing though, it isnīt as slow as VDB or the TurbulenceFD volume renderer, it can become sluggish if you use too large scale units though, but I think it is decently fast now that I have learnt to deal with it, at least withoug GI, but here is the thing, a volumetric Item taking use of the GPU such as cycles and with GI, would boost the look of many such renders.

Make Lightwave Fast again.

Thanks for clearing it up, I just got confused when you said blender version..and by that I thought you ment a version only working in blender..which of course makes no sense.
    Blender version for fiberfx..rendering in Lightwave is exactly what I want.

As for fluids, sounds like you would be in for a huge task if you are to create your own fluids fire and smoke simulator in Lightwave, competing with what is there in the form of TurbulenceFD, and the new VDB gas solver, and what is there in the actual blender program.

But donīt let my skepticism get in the way for you..by all means, if you can cook up something that simulates faster than the VDB tools, and with better opengl presentation than the VDB tools as well as providing a PBR volumetric model unlike turbulenceFD..that would be sweet, I never jumped on TurbulenceFD since I am not satisfied with it, and part of that is due to versions often crashing, slow render..and not compatible with pbr rendering, and lack of fire and smoke presentation at the same time in opengl, and no weight emission, these complaints I have for turbulenceFD ..Is all part of blender fire and smoke simulation and rendering..For free, and it doesnīt crash either when tweaking the Principled volumetric shader.

Foremost I think it is the Hair fiberfx rendering that I just canīt tolerate, the slower rendering in cpu with pbr materials I can at least tolerate, though they are not as fast as cycles, but the fiberfx is a no no.
    Then comes the fluid stuff.
    The volumetric items stuff is a different thing though, it isnīt as slow as VDB or the TurbulenceFD volume renderer, it can become sluggish if you use too large scale units though, but I think it is decently fast now that I have learnt to deal with it, at least withoug GI, but here is the thing, a volumetric Item taking use of the GPU such as cycles and with GI, would boost the look of many such renders.

Make Lightwave Fast again.
    I will study smoke and fire in Blender to make my own volumetric as an inspiration, according to all parameters from Cycles, sorry there is not an access for OpenGL from LW SDK to draw it.

What do you mean by Volumetric item ? In LW SDK Item info it is not even mentioned to Volumetric for getting info... Do you mean by Primitive type for null item ?

any screengrabs ?  

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast