Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not so Hidden LightWave Logo

Not so Hidden LightWave Logo

I thought some of you might get a kick out of this character I designed for the Asylum earlier this year. The staff kinda took on a life of its own

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yussop_001.png 
Views:	376 
Size:	948.8 KB 
ID:	134916

Ha! Very clever.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Fun, and sly.

William, do you sketch out these characters based on scripts or what? I've toyed with the idea of multiple "spinners" that would randomize character traits to kinda jumpstart the ol' creative engine.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Fun, and sly.

William, do you sketch out these characters based on scripts or what? I've toyed with the idea of multiple "spinners" that would randomize character traits to kinda jumpstart the ol' creative engine.

Depends where Im at in the moment. Alot of times I find its quicker to block out the character directly in 3D. When I do sketch the sketches are extremely loose and rough. As seen here:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/shut-...mp-reader-card

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/make-...mp-reader-card

Nice designs, comparing your drawing style to mine, I wouldn't say your drawings are loose and rough, just flat looking. I suppose you're only looking for the silhouette and very general expression.

Was this character for a TV live video/movie character? Or a "feature film".
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 10-26-2016 at 08:35 AM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    Nice designs, comparing your drawing style to mine, I wouldn't say your drawings are loose and rough, just flat looking. I suppose you're only looking for the silhouette and very general expression.

Was this character for a TV live video/movie character? Or a "feature film".
    Compared to my days as a traditional illustrator these are rough... but I get what your saying... no real shading.

This is one of 6 characters I created for the Asylum for a movie called Trolland. It was released yesterday on DVD and will be on TV this month as well. My only role was designing and modeling 6 of the characters before production started. You can see my work on the project here: http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/di...x?f=8&t=126958

Last edited by WilliamVaughan; 10-26-2016 at 10:43 AM.

well I have to say these are my favorite works by you. Did you get a lot of "useful" feedback from Asylum while working on these? were you the art director in this particular case?
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 10-26-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

well I have to say these are my favorite works by you. Did you get a lot of "useful" feedback from Asylum while working on these? Maybe you were the art director in this particular case?
    Appreciate that.

The only feedback/changes i had on all of the characters was to add individual lashes to this character:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/forums.conte...731d7b758c.jpg

Originally the lashes were one solid strip.

Ron was the Director but gave me alot of freedom on these characters.

Excellent. I'm excited to see them animated!

Excellent. I'm excited to see them animated!
    I'd hold off on that excitement. While I havent seen a single frame I heard that the production was a mess. I've been told that I shouldnt see it... but you never know.

Some additional work Ive done recently can be seen here: https://www.artstation.com/artist/williamvaughan
    Last edited by WilliamVaughan; 10-26-2016 at 10:39 AM.

This guy could be Yoda's druid-troll uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by bazsa73 View Post
    This guy could be Yoda's druid-troll uncle.

lol... very true.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamVaughan View Post
    lol... very true.
    Just out of curiosity William, I presume you model your characters in the old school way, in LW or Modo (I dont know your preference, maybe both)
    or do you create a sculpt in Zbrush or similar app and then you create a clean retopology?

Quote Originally Posted by bazsa73 View Post
    Just out of curiosity William, I presume you model your characters in the old school way, in LW or Modo (I dont know your preference, maybe both)
    or do you create a sculpt in Zbrush or similar app and then you create a clean retopology?

I create all of my character models from a 6 poly cube. From there its all Bevel and Spin Edges for the most part... that and pushing and pulling points.

Hi William,

Probably not a best idea to ask this question here (and i have asked this before) BUT i have zero talent (and i mean zero) on drawing and sketch. do i still have any chance to make characters in 3D?

I look forward to hear your take on this please.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast