Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Deep Rising Fx: Potential fluid simulator

Awesome.  :)

motion blur support for the files would be super.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Awesome.  :)

motion blur support for the files would be super.
    Will export needed channels to the caches (note, some of the formats have limited channel support). I'm guessing you need a velocity channel for motion blur?

Deep Rising FX Preview

Preview of Deep Rising in Lightwave 3D, (disclaimer, the interface will change a bit, but you can expect something similar, and sadly not taking interface requests for the first version, I want to avoid restrictions so that I can easily add features).

Quote Originally Posted by darkChief View Post
    Will export needed channels to the caches (note, some of the formats have limited channel support).
    Neat!   :)

I'm guessing you need a velocity channel for motion blur?
    yes!   :)

there was an ongoing LightWave 9 plugin project from eetu on the ODforce forum, unfortunately i haven't had the time to explore it further.
    as far as i recall, RealFlow also takes use of this method for motion blur. (don't quote me on that though)

some info from eetu >
    http://forums.odforce.net/topic/6093-geo-import-for-lw
    http://forums.odforce.net/topic/7260...twave-pipeline
    Last edited by erikals; 12-14-2016 at 06:14 PM.

That's really looking good.....

Loving the use of filters....now if we can just have masking on filters....kidding...sorta

How well can this scale inside LW....I wouldnt expect RF or Houdini numbers, but can it handle a few hundred thousand ??

now if we can just have masking on filters....kidding...sorta
    haven't tested, but this should be doable using DPont Layout Boolean.
    (you'll need, and there are, LW plugins that copies the surface to all generated meshes)

alternatively one could use an animated clip map, though it is slightly more limited.

(you can also tweak obj sequences to a certain degree)
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1437627
    Last edited by erikals; 12-14-2016 at 07:06 PM.

That's looking fantastic!

Will export needed channels to the caches (note, some of the formats have limited channel support). I'm guessing you need a velocity channel for motion blur?
    YES!

Please keep up the excellent work.

Looking good!
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

haven't tested, but this should be doable using DPont Layout Boolean.
    (you'll need, and there are, LW plugins that copies the surface to all generated meshes)

alternatively one could use an animated clip map, though it is slightly more limited.

(you can also tweak obj sequences to a certain degree)
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1437627
    i'm more talking mesh filtering to limit poly's to higher turbulent parts of the mesh, DP Boolean is way too basic....and to work would have to be done before meshing, not after....otherwise the polycount will be the same
    The point is really to limit poly's....not just smooth them out
    https://vimeo.com/145178660#t=29m30s

darkchief already has filtering....this is just controlled application.
    I'm only halfheartedly asking for this, as it would be very complicated....and we need to appreciate what he has already accomplished

ah, yeah, that's something else, thought you did mean for visual tweaks.

interesting. looks good.

@erikals
    Thanks for the links, will go through them and see what can I learn and adopt.

@erikals, m.d.
    OpenVDB has adaptive sampling (note this causes flickering in animations, even in Houdini according to their forums), but I don't think it takes the simulation into account to add detail to turbulent parts. So that's probably a feature for a later version. OpenVDB also has filtering, (I recommend getting the pdf slides on the OpenVDB website, they reveal some interesting workflows), but that's at the volume level, which is a little outside of the scope of essential at the moment.

As for scale, at the moment the Euphorik solver is mainly limited by memory and processing power. The cached cup scene had 150,000 particles. My laptop will probably peak at 250,000 - 500,000 particles because its not designed for this sort of thing and because windows uses over half my ram So I can confidently say 1 million plus particles on a workstation. Until recently the scale of the simulation (not the number of particles) also grew when the particles expanded, eating up more memory, but now a sparse data structure is used, eliminating that problem.

Sadly meshing cannot use a sparse structure because of voxelization. Instead OpenVDB uses narrow bands. So the bigger the voxelizaton volume (think bounding box), and not the number of particles will increase the processing time. One of the authors of OpenVDB has said this.

Exactly. Real flow meshes usually contain the vectors for motion blur in an endomorph which means you can load an individual mesh and morph it to achieve the look of motion blur or to do a very slow moving bullet time effect.
    Oliver Zúņiga
    VFX Supervisor
    MarteStudio
    www.martestudio.com

One little question. What about vorticity. I've noticed two things that make a good simulation look better than the norm is when there is Vorticity (chunks of water tend to orbit around eachother generating a chaotic instead of linear kind of motion that is easily recongnizable as typical of a fluid) and the other is Sheets (water tends to form membranes which look a lot nicer than the bumpy water normally generated by fluid sims). I'd love to know if you are considering these things, which would be grand if not now at least later.
    Oliver Zúņiga
    VFX Supervisor
    MarteStudio
    www.martestudio.com

For me priority is stability, speed, scalability, ease of use.
    Motionblur can come later. I've used blender fluids without 3d motion blur and just do it with 2d mblur and it comes out ok.

@imshadi

Will see what happens, will have to learn the workflow for motion blur. So I can only guarantee velocity channels in the particle caches for now.

There's a vorticity option on the solvers panel.

@samurai_x

Stability, performance & speed number one priority.

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast