Page 50 of 141 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Come on LWG3D, show us some nuggets!

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by lino.grandi View Post
    IKBooster works perfectly in the next LightWave version.
    Now, that's interesting.

Did the original developer have a hand in, because IMO/YMMV it seemed that he stepped away from it a long time ago, and that LWG really didn't understand what they had in their hands.

( I fear this question will likely never be answered.) :\
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Now, that's interesting.

Did the original developer have a hand in, because IMO/YMMV it seemed that he stepped away from it a long time ago, and that LWG really didn't understand what they had in their hands.

( I fear this question will likely never be answered.) :\
    When I say it works perfectly, I mean it's not broken and previous functionality is intact.
    Lino Grandi

3D Artist at OTOY

LOL... you guys are a marketeers wet dream.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    When I say it works perfectly, I mean it's not broken and previous functionality is intact.
    Well, better than nothing!
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Getting the same results when working with VPR or Final render will be a huge deal, no more surprises no matter what material you use or lighting, there has been quite many situations when I set up a scene where shadows and lighting on surfaces change drasticly depending on VPR or Final render, so a good thing they decided to make it based on the same functionality.

I also hope for some good new light types, or simply improved ones that evolves from the old "types" but improved, faster and better, it does however pose a question since itīs pbr materials etc, and as such they may perhaps render slower in some circumstances?
    Caustics from as many light types as possibles please..please ... the current system is a bit limited in terms of what light types we can use for acheiving caustics, and especially with outdoor sunlight types, where you may want some river bed receiving some gentle sunrays filtered by leaf foliage above, and the rays that hit the water will cause caustics beneath the water surface, I would hate to fake with additional lights for such things.

- New users should get LightWave because of what this new version is offering. They're not going to "miss" any old LightWave feature, because they never used it!
    Lino, that's an oversimplification, and I believe you know that. Whether someone needs to reference legacy content is largely orthogonal to whether they already have a LW license.

When you consider how much commercial/free legacy LW content will continue to exist on the net after this coming release, you have to accept the strong likelihood that _any_ LW customer, regardless whether new or old, may encounter need to load/convert legacy content requiring access in prior version to accurately study/convert original surfacing as intended. As another example, these forums have multiple threads where customers access older tutorials or demonstrations with associated content -- all that content will qualify as "legacy content" as well, and thus also creates need for access in older version where it can be seen as intended -- and that scenario is actually _more likely_ to occur to new LW customers than older ones.

All LW customers, new or old, will encounter need to accurately understand or convert legacy surfaces, and thus require access to a version of LW that can properly load and display the internal construction of legacy content. That will continue to be the case for well into the foreseeable future, because there is so much pre-existing (legacy) LW-format content available online and out in the world.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

We're very aware about this.
    That's why we've been also doing our best to make old content load as closely as possible in the new LightWave, with no need of 2015 at all.
    Lino Grandi

3D Artist at OTOY

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Lino, that's an oversimplification, and I believe you know that. Whether someone needs to reference legacy content is largely orthogonal to whether they already have a LW license.

When you consider how much commercial/free legacy LW content will continue to exist on the net after this coming release, you have to accept the strong likelihood that _any_ LW customer, regardless whether new or old, may encounter need to load/convert legacy content requiring access in prior version to accurately study/convert original surfacing as intended. As another example, these forums have multiple threads where customers access older tutorials or demonstrations with associated content -- all that content will qualify as "legacy content" as well, and thus also creates need for access in older version where it can be seen as intended -- and that scenario is actually _more likely_ to occur to new LW customers than older ones.

All LW customers, new or old, will encounter need to accurately understand or convert legacy surfaces, and thus require access to a version of LW that can properly load and display the internal construction of legacy content. That will continue to be the case for well into the foreseeable future, because there is so much pre-existing (legacy) LW-format content available online and out in the world.
    Then it may be up to the consumer in some cases to translate that product. Just like Octane users have to translate LW renderable product to Octane renderable content.
    Last edited by hrgiger; 11-27-2016 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Then it may be up to the consumer in some cases to translate that product. Just like Octane users have to translate LW renderable product to Octane renderable content.
    That's my point: In order for the consumer to do such translations, they need to be able to see the details of how the surface is constructed (incl. possible use of third-party nodes), and that requires access to a prior version of LW in which to do so.
    John W.

That's why we've been also doing our best to make old content load as closely as possible in the new LightWave, with no need of 2015 at all.
    Hi Lino, by the way this is great. And I think Rob as has as much. That the main dive was to insert the new tech into LightWave and keep it functional. No small feat I imagine. And it was more or less what I expected you were up to.

But I think as I was saying above, it is not always the case they we are asked to move forward with assets. So just as an additional thought. Something for you guys to consider is to offer two versions back with a software license. This way new people coming to LightWave can play with other people and projects that for whatever reason, are on older versions.

In my work, I run into this often. So I am sure I am not alone.

Autodesk seems to get this. It is part of their standard Licenses these days. And back when yearly subscription service was an option this was one of the "benefits".
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 11-27-2016 at 02:08 PM.

...should've stuck with CORE.

Eh, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
    Also, I think you may be mistaken as to why Denis actually took his tools down... I am fairly sure there is more to it than what you suggest.
    Eh, unless my memory is playing tricks on me, I'm not suggesting anything - Denis himself had given us that reason, here on the forum, causing much consternation. If there was more to it than that I wouldn't know; but that in itself was enough anyway.

ADP.

Will that accurate conversion work reliably with nodal surfaces using third-party nodes?

Regardless, conversion is never a 100%-reliable solution (nor typically even close to that number). Any surfaces that automated conversion cannot convert properly will require "by hand" conversion. The customer will need to be able to view the surface as it was originally-designed/-intended to convert it by hand, and that really means they need a prior version of Lightwave where they can fully view (incl. shaders and nodes, native or third-party, and their settings) and observe the surface in scene context.

LW3DG, please do the right thing, and provide even new LW.Next customers with prior version access in order to address such needs.
    Last edited by jwiede; 11-27-2016 at 02:37 PM.
    John W.

This is not essential, but my own respectful suggestion is to make any legacy version of Lightwave available to purchase to a registered owner of a current version, partly to cover any plugin compatibility, but partly for training purposes. I have picked up some of the old Lightwave books so cheaply, but they hop around the versions, as does video training. I can navigate it (I think !), but the option might be useful.
    Last edited by TheLexx; 11-27-2016 at 02:29 PM.

ikbooster works!? cool very cool.

one million dollars question. Will we have UNDO ... a proper one...

Page 50 of 141 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast