Page 95 of 141 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 2107

Thread: Come on LWG3D, show us some nuggets!

Ashamed? No... Aside from Toaster, they've always done their own thing. And NewTek have always mentioned Lightwave, and still do.. right under products. Now they've made it more clear that they separate them. That is the only difference I can see. I would not read anything else into it, it is a wasted effort.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 02-23-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    We'll see. I'll wait for the official announcement, if it's really that close to release then announce should occur any time now.
    Right -- and start setting expectations NOW via blog postings.

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tburbage View Post
    Right -- and start setting expectations NOW via blog postings.
    I don't think Newtek can set expectations. Everyone seems to have one of the following regardless of what NT says.
    1) greatest thing ever. All bugs squashed, all the killer features from all the other apps plus 3 more we never thought of, and Rob Powers comes to your house and cooks a gourmet meal while asking for your help input on the next update.
    2) not much changes. A few bugs killed and some plugins integrated.
    3) nothing gets released. Rob Powers shows up at you house and takes your license key back and beats you with a billy club.

Nothing seems to change our minds.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

Quote Originally Posted by Verlon View Post
    I don't think Newtek can set expectations. Everyone seems to have one of the following regardless of what NT says.
    1) greatest thing ever. All bugs squashed, all the killer features from all the other apps plus 3 more we never thought of, and Rob Powers comes to your house and cooks a gourmet meal while asking for your help input on the next update.
    2) not much changes. A few bugs killed and some plugins integrated.
    3) nothing gets released. Rob Powers shows up at you house and takes your license key back and beats you with a billy club.

Nothing seems to change our minds.
    #3 is pretty funny. Now I don't know whether to get out the china and crystal and wait to eat or hide!

I should update my Avatar Verlon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    #3 is pretty funny. Now I don't know whether to get out the china and crystal and wait to eat or hide!
    To be fair expectations != reality.
    Verlon Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i3XnbEKBw&feature=plcp - shameless prommotion for my daughter's horror (by 4 year old standards) story.

NewTek is selling TriCaster extremely well for the eGaming market.. Twitch, Red Bull Media House, etc.. Our sales team lobbied to get a booth at GDC to show the new IP Series system!
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    CRO - Chief Relationship Officer
    [email protected]
    http://www.newtek.com

Follow NewTek on Twitter!
    @PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Schwyhart View Post

EDIT: Even on newtek.com there is no mention of GDC. Only BVE and NAB.
    NewTek only "officially" exhibits at NAB, IBC, InfoComm and a few other major shows.. All of the other events that get done are usually by our resellers who represent us. Since the NewTek name carries more weight, they list it as NewTek rather than XYZ reseller.

GDC is one of those shows. One of our sales reps has partnered with a couple of 3rd Party developers for TriCaster and IP series to have a booth at GDC.
    Philip Nelson
    NewTek
    CRO - Chief Relationship Officer
    [email protected]
    http://www.newtek.com

Follow NewTek on Twitter!
    @PhilipNelson

Following on Facebook
    /Philip.Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by pnelson View Post
    NewTek is selling TriCaster extremely well for the eGaming market.. Twitch, Red Bull Media House, etc.. Our sales team lobbied to get a booth at GDC to show the new IP Series system!
    Interesting info, THX. Although not a gamer myself (well, sort of, I sometimes play VainGlory on my iPad), I really enjoy following League Of Legends championship.

Quote Originally Posted by bazsa73 View Post
    I sent the link to my friend and he was totally amazed. This voxel/cube thing today is very trendy. All teenagers want to do minecraft and similar 3D spritish things.
    Seems very unwise to invest dev effort into what amounts to a current fad, where there are so many other, more (desperately) needed areas where effort invested would yield much greater return.

Much better to provide modern particle and procedural geometry capabilities so third-party devs can build their own versions of voxelizers as plugins using the SDK (Nitro4D has something similar as a plugin for C4D).
    Last edited by jwiede; 02-25-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Could it be that if it wasn't for tricaster we wouldn't have lightwave anymore?
    Mac Pro
    3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache
    32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
    1TB PCIe-based SSD
    Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Seems very unwise to invest dev effort into what amounts to a current fad, where there are so many other, more (desperately) needed areas where effort invested would yield much greater return.

Much better to provide modern particle and procedural geometry capabilities so third-party devs can build their own versions of voxelizers as plugins using the SDK (Nitro4D has something similar as a plugin for C4D).
    My bad. I try to do my best and I thought it is maybe a good idea to forward this link to my friend who loves game programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwyhart View Post
    Could it be that if it wasn't for tricaster we wouldn't have lightwave anymore?
    No, I think you think that way because you don' find much focus on Lightwave when using Google. But if Google is an indicator
    then there are quite a few applications out there that should also be "dead". Just a few examples: IBM DB2, Rhinoceros or even the recent Clarisse for that matter.

etc..

Just because we can't see the uses (or users) doesn't mean something is doing badly.

Quote Originally Posted by bazsa73 View Post
    My bad. I try to do my best and I thought it is maybe a good idea to forward this link to my friend who loves game programming.
    The idea of adding something "novel" isn't bad, it just needs to be something "lastingly useful" to 3D customers. Adding capabilities needed to build a mesh voxelizer in LW would be useful, because they can be used for other procedural geometry / deformation needs as well (which is why such mesh voxelizers exist today in/for other 3D pkgs). Such voxels, after all, are just the result of running spatial meshing at a very low resolution. Having the ability to generate meshes at arbitrary resolutions (both low and high) offers much broader overall benefits to 3D work.

The problem occurs when such functionality is added as a "specific" tool instead, because it winds up being very "one-trick-pony" in nature, yet the tool integration costs about as much as just adding the raw capabilities would have cost. Having a tool specifically dedicated to working with low-resolution voxels is quite limited in utility and thus value, esp. compared to adding a more generic, arbitrary resolution data field meshing capability.

Hope that makes sense, let me know if it doesn't and I can try to explain better. The premise and starting point of the idea weren't bad, it was just the target of integrating such a specific, limited tool where the idea kinda went awry. Well, that, and that by adding OpenVDB support, LW3DG already has a more general meshing system available in LW (as do many other 3D pkgs), so there isn't much "novelty" value.
    Last edited by jwiede; 02-26-2017 at 07:00 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

You can already do that 'voxelisation' inside of LightWave anyway... use instancing, instance a grid using a cube and use 'Inside Mesh' as the raycast method. Instant voxelised object.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    You can already do that 'voxelisation' inside of LightWave anyway... use instancing, instance a grid using a cube and use 'Inside Mesh' as the raycast method. Instant voxelised object.
    There's already a tutorial somewhere about this kind of thing, I had a crack at it.

I wasn't thinking just in terms of the end outcome but the process, see him slice that large cube at the start, you can't do that in LW. Even the selection tools are great, moving/extruding whole faces like that without manually selecting all the polygons first would be awesome in modeler...just saying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8bityogi2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	136171  

Page 95 of 141 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast