Page 89 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 2107

Thread: Come on LWG3D, show us some nuggets!

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I'm always amazed when people publish a laundry list of apps they say they are familiar with: it's hard enough to master ONE 3d app, but 3 or 4?

Or is it "I have on my hard drive blah blah blah...."???
    Some people just seem to enjoy the tech or there are those who collect software because no single app is perfect - there's always that elusive feature, blah... You could spend your whole life just practising 3D and perfecting techniques in a single app like Lightwave and never being as good as Taron's work in the mid 90s.

I should add, on the other hand working professionally you soon realise the strengths and weaknesses of different apps when you have a particular job to do with a tight deadline, so it pays to be flexible, multi skilled and open minded... If you can afford it.
    Last edited by bobakabob; 02-09-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    you should have moved to 3D Coat instead.
    Thanks. Yeah. I know. I have seen those tools in action. Not what I was looking for though. Maya's hand retopo is just better all around. I like 3D coat though. And it is on my radar for other things.

But it really was not the main of my point now was it?

I'm always amazed when people publish a laundry list of apps they say they are familiar with: it's hard enough to master ONE 3d app, but 3 or 4?

I wish it was not that way to be honest. I used to really think I would find one app to give me everything. For me it simply comes down to tools. And I have had periods in my past where I made sure I put aside the time to figure things out. And now, not so much. But also because I have settled on a few things that are working well for what I want to do.

Employers told me what program I had to use because everyone else was using it. In other cases I just need to get something done quickly and I Uncovered how Program X could do that for me. It's the nature of "trying" to learn the whole, blah blah blah pipeline.

Hmm, need more nuggets.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    Employers told me what program I had to use because everyone else was using it.
    been there, done that, even if program X was faster for the task required. (LightWave)
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

If you learn a new app like every two years or so, you'll eventually end up with that 'laundry list' as you put it Lightwave I've used in some capacity (not all the time) since it began as Videoscape 3D & Modeler. Then, over the years I've gone through Real3D (now Rendersoft 3D), Imagine, 3dstudio R4, 3dsMax (since its alpha, I also held classes in that program until 1998, after I held classes using Lightwave until 2000) Then Maya, and Blender (under NaN) then Softimage, later I began using Z-brush, and soon after 3d-Coat. Now finally Houdini, C4D (even though I did get a glimpse of it on the Amiga) & Clarisse. We're talking about a time period since the mid 80s (when I was still wet behind my ears) So it is plenty of time to learn things. I am a strong believer in keeping the brain busy. I'm in my middle age just now, so there is still some 25 years left of working (which means I've been working for some 25 years now too) So it is important to stay up to date on things.

But all of this said.. of course I forget things when I don't use the application. Like everybody else, I will have to refresh knowledge from time to time. Having known them once though, it is much easier to catch up again. It also helps that I like to dabble. I am naturally inclined to create & experiment. Its been like that my whole life. Constantly moving, learning, testing, writing music, developing, build, paint, draw, coming up with ideas for problems etc.. I've tried a normal desk job.. man that didn't work out well at all I simply must do all the things I just listed. Also I never suggested I am an expert in these tools. I am a generalist more than anything else.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 02-09-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Maybe that's it, I"m not a dabbler, so getting enough flight time in ANY app is a challenge.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by bazsa73 View Post
    Infidels! Do not listen to them. Cgsociety is full of snobs.
    Well I am a LW user and I am a moderator there.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    Well I am a LW user and I am a moderator there.
    Like he said, full of snobs!

Sorry Robert, it was just ripe for the picking!
    Curtis Rhoads

Desktop: Win10 x64 | i7 3.4GHz | 32GB RAM | GeForce GTX970
    Laptop: Win10 x64 | i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce GT650M
    Desktop: iMac | i7 3.5GHz | 8GB RAM | GeForce GTX 780M

Quote Originally Posted by Norka View Post
    Good luck to you sir. We hate to lose yet another waver, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Reading that stings a little, because I am really starting to worry that I might suffer the same fate at some point, where it comes down to making a "business" decision. I love LW so very much, and it would suck so very badly, should that day ever come. But for now, I must wait and see this thing through. Plus, Octane really and truly is the bigger part of the LW/Octane setup. Octane gets new features and is updated all the time (thanks Juanjo). LW is kinda like a big transform gizmo for Octane, when you get down to it... Because of this, LW still has some mileage left, even if Next never comes...
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Well. Here is what I think. First of all. I was at such a point back around 9.6. And I fully understand the impetus to change. Up to that point I was fully invested in LightWave as a solution. I new I wanted to change. I knew I had to. It was a hard decision. I am glad I did. But at the time for me the only option was Blender. I learned a lot and I have moved down the road through other software changes and growth and learning as an artist since then. So I now have quite an arsenal at my disposal which includes, LightWave, Blender, Maya, Softimage, MotionBuilder and a small amount of Modo and some Houdini. Not to mention dedicated sculpting apps.

But at the time I left LightWave it felt like an end all. I now see that as a mistake in my mental outlook.

So here is my conclusion. First of all you should not be looking to one application for all of your needs. If you can get it, great. I think the smartest plan is to simply expand your tool set. Because I think you will find that no matter where you go, you will find compromises to what you need.

My opinion is that if you need to use Houdini. Do it. Learn it. It does not have to be an end all be all. My advice? Focus. Learn Houdini. Force yourself to use it in production. Put the blinders on. Start using it for clients work.

But don't paint yourself in yet another corner. Isn't that what got your here in the first place? All of your eggs in one basket? Why would you do that again?

When the dust settles you'll find another amazing tool in your arsenal.

Expand, don't contract, is the basic motto.

My opinion from experience. Take it for what it is worth. And have a blast learning a great new tool either way!
    Agree with all that you say. At some point in the future I'll no doubt probably end up using both LW and Houdini either in combination or separately depending on the requirements of a given project. Whether the version of LW that I use is 2015.3 or the new 2017/Next version very much depends on the production readiness of the latter and when it finally make an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I do not suspect the workflow will be all that different, some will..but I canīt imagine it will end up to be something different in terms of along the old core switch, that was probably one of the main reasons they didnīt go further, and I do not think they suddenly changed their mind and revive it to that form again.

so that is something that doesnīt really scare me away, what is troublesome is to not know Anything about the excpected release, and the fact that I think what is shown in the blog is Way to little in terms of new feature presentations, other than that ...the performance seems interesting.

Good luck with houdini..Itīs definitely a good choice if you invest in the time for learning it, and if got the bucks for it, and yes..I am not surprised if lightwave /newtek actually looses some customers due to the long await and to little information while doing it, but I would also guess the new lightwave will probably gain back some that "jumped" if it is as good as it may be in terms of performance and maybe some new features...that and also actually pave the way for new customers that may have been hard to attract previously...But, it is just best guesses and no one can really be sure until the release is in place and no one can tell until we can see some feedback flowing in from any new users and old users.
    To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, regarding the next release's feature set it's the age old issue of known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns. At the moment, all we have are a pathetic few known knowns.

Regarding switching to Houdini, it's sort of like Barney Stinson in How I met Your Mother: "Challenge accepted!" - I like tackling something that will stretch me.
    iemedia solutions:
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel
    Scavengers SciFi novel:
    Amazon UK
    Amazon USA

Indeed. Good attitude. Best of luck with it. I am sure it will be rewarding.

Well, next week I'm beginning a new project for mobiles. So I'll be using LW for that. I'll see what comes out of it. I need to pick up the pace too, because in 4 months I'm leaving the company where I am now. Then I'm fully on my own. I hope I'll make enough money to have a decent living at least

Well, next week I'm beginning a new project for mobiles. So I'll be using LW for that. I'll see what comes out of it. I need to pick up the pace too, because in 4 months I'm leaving the company where I am now. Then I'm fully on my own. I hope I'll make enough money to have a decent living at least
    Good luck with that, hope it all works out well, I myself is on a temporary job until the end of may, It may be prolonged or not, Itīs just administration choirs, handling of pdf, updating website etc, nothing to do with lightwave or 3d really on contrary to my former job where I rendered gym machines with lightwave, so no 3d except for that I introduced designspark when giving advice for some parts we needed and some drawings, worked out well.
    Good to be your own boss I guess, at the same time other challenges will probably kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Good luck with that, hope it all works out well, I myself is on a temporary job until the end of may, It may be prolonged or not, Itīs just administration choirs, handling of pdf, updating website etc, nothing to do with lightwave or 3d really on contrary to my former job where I rendered gym machines with lightwave, so no 3d except for that I introduced designspark when giving advice for some parts we needed and some drawings, worked out well.
    Good to be your own boss I guess, at the same time other challenges will probably kick in.
    For sure... but I'm also not getting any younger. I'm in my middles now.. so if I don't do it now.. I probably never will. And the mere thought of sitting there, complaining why? etc.. is not a position I'd like to find myself in. I'd much rather try and fail. And have a much better life as an older geezer when I get there

I knew he was working on it.. but afaik it is not released yet.
    It appears that I have been living under a rock. I had never heard of LWRemodeler but went to check it out after reading this. How cool! Its also on sale NOW for half price until February 14th! I am not familiar with Hurley's other plugins but will be shortly. Ugh, I missed the sale in December....

Page 89 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast