Page 85 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2107

Thread: Come on LWG3D, show us some nuggets!

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    Never going to happen. They want to work on their on pace. Don't want to do open testing like other companies which have more manpower to deal with tons of reports.
    That logic's inherently flawed: The reports will come in either way, because eventually the code goes public at release. All LW3DG are really achieving is to eliminate any chance of viewing those reports (and fixing responsible defects) prior to release. Defects in release code are more likely to cause customers to depart, too, so their delay in receiving the reports raises the probability the defect in question will drive away customers and/or cause a public incident.

(edit)

There's another nasty wrinkle, too: Smaller test pools give reduced indication for the frequency of a defect. So not only will more defects be present at release, but the few that are seen before release are underestimated in frequency (and thus more likely to be ignored). It's a mistake that takes and takes.
    Last edited by jwiede; 01-27-2017 at 04:53 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

I'm curious if the powers that be are monitoring this thread? I remember publicly begging/ranting/pleading because Apple killed the 17" macbook (I would STILL buy one if they brought it back, just in case Apple is monitoring this thread ha ha!). Turns out, Apple wasn't monitoring where we were posting and while they had to have known there were upset folks, we weren't asking in the right place. Asking in the right place didn't matter either though, a ton of us tried that also, there were too few of us but I digress...

Doubtful... unless they feel gloomy some day, and need a quick 'pick me up' of laughter.. maybe? Seriously though, I've been developing things for many years, and it is scary to have your work constantly reviewed. Especially in the beginning. But there is a balance to be found, and once there. You need to stick to it. Because in the end, you'll benefit because the customer will know what they get. There will be tons of requests, but only the nuggets may end up in the product. But you'll have a far slower response time, if you only stick to releases. But again... my experience. But what do I know, I've only worked on realtime systems that handled 30 millions customers throughout the world. So I some have "some" experience of flak times
    Last edited by MichaelT; 01-27-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    That logic's inherently flawed:
    Yeah but its common practice with smaller companies.
    Newtek isn't microsoft. Now about that bluescreen of death in windows 10....

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    The open betas themselves weren't the trigger for the real problems, it was when communication ceased and Newtek effectively stopped living up to the terms of HC that customers en masse got upset, started demanding refunds, etc. (because release schedules weren't being kept, and us customers weren't receiving any indication of forward progress).

There are actually more parallels between what happened then, and what's happening now, than many here care to admit. The big difference is that customers aren't pre-paying for beta releases and updates currently, and were back during HC. However, just because customers aren't legally entitled to info as consideration for payment currently, that doesn't mean it still doesn't ultimately hurt LW3DG to withhold it for such a long period.

Further, that the entire LW9 OB worked fine without similar outcome (as well as many other similar-model Open Betas elsewhere) shows that just making open betas available, by itself, was NOT the main cause of the HC problems -- again, the (then-novel to HC w.r.t. LW) combo of charging for access to info/betas followed by the extended periods without providing said info or betas, are the most probable cause of Newtek's HC problems with customers. Similar results from similar pay-for-beta programs elsewhere that failed to deliver further support that causation.
    Another BIG difference that caused a lot of friction was that there was options available.....go forward with CORE or go back to legacy LW.....that option is no longer available. Which makes me think that an open beta could actually be a good idea.

But should it take place then LWG can not go around getting butthurt at any god given opportunity.
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 01-28-2017 at 01:55 AM.

yeah, hard critique sucks big time... been there.. but it really is for the best. And somehow I don't think that whatever they faced at that time, is anywhere near the joyful experience I have had when millions of customers suddenly can't use their mobile phones. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by samurai_x View Post
    Now about that bluescreen of death in windows 10....
    Consult Microsoft's Windows 10 Support site. I'm bound by NDA, and am too busy to do an exhaustive search to see if that team's stated their motivations publicly (beyond "general improvement").
    Last edited by jwiede; 01-28-2017 at 07:48 PM.
    John W.

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    I'm curious if the powers that be are monitoring this thread? I remember publicly begging/ranting/pleading because Apple killed the 17" macbook (I would STILL buy one if they brought it back, just in case Apple is monitoring this thread ha ha!). Turns out, Apple wasn't monitoring where we were posting and while they had to have known there were upset folks, we weren't asking in the right place. Asking in the right place didn't matter either though, a ton of us tried that also, there were too few of us but I digress...
    That is a good question. I think people should post what they expect from the next Lightwave release in this thread.

This is a massive thread with multiple diversions off into the weeds, perhaps it would be better to have a thread dedicated to just that if we don't already.

no point, they all turn into what this thread has turned into as they don't seem to engage a response, and I expect if they did they would still quickly degenerate of a barrage of what when why to what ever response came.
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

What's going on LW Group? Still on schedule for a 2017 release?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. (Fez) View Post
    What's going on LW Group? Still on schedule for a 2017 release?
    Well, still 11 months left for a release, so they could be on a schedule.

I would not expect an answer regarding them being on schedule or not.. most companies don't actually. I just like to plan things in good time, so 'annoyed' is probably a good description on how I feel about not having any information.

well, another month, another add a seat promotion, I guess at least the news letters are back to regular.
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    well, another month, another add a seat promotion
    LW3DG continuing the "$695/$395 as discount pricing" bit is becoming an insult to their customers' intelligence.
    John W.

Page 85 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast