Thread: Overlays for Church.... Help

Overlays for Church.... Help

**NEWBIE ALERT** We recently purchased the Tricaster 410 and are doing live video switch for our services. I'm wondering what people are using for their overlays (scriptures, music lyrics etc...) Right now I'm creating them in Photoshop and importing them and it works well but you know, you can never trust a Pastor to keep to his/her notes So I'm looking for something where we can preview the overlays and easily jump around if needed. Is anyone using ProPresenter on an external laptop/desktop for this purpose? If so, are you using iVGA or NDI to connect? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions but I have a short amount of time to learn a whole lot of stuff. Thank you in advance for any advise you can provide.

I've not used ProPresenter myself, but it does have a native NDI output option.
    http://www.renewedvision.com/propres...les#sdi_module
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane! I may try that and see if I can get it to work. I've figured out how to make the DDR1/2 items to overlay by using the DSK1/2 Take or Auto options. But how would this work if the NDI output is one of my main sources? I hope I'm asking the question correctly. It makes perfect sense in my head

If I understand the question, you want to know how to handle NDI input coming from ProPresenter? That will come in on either Net 1 or Net 2 input, and will behave the same as any other input.

With the addition of Advanced Edition Upgrade, TriCaster would then show inputs 1-8, any number of which could be NDI sources. Plus you then get four NDI outputs versus just one with Standard Edition software. These NDI outputs could be routed to displays all over the building! Keep in mind you would need a PC or laptop at the far end to accept the NDI source and convert to a video output to the display (using free NDI Monitor app from Newtek).

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
    Safe Harbor Computers

Really glad I saw this thread. Glad to find out Renewed Vision has expanded some of this add-ons over to the Windows universe, and has taken advantage of the SDK for NDI!
    Tricaster 460
    HD-SDI over coax
    JVC 890 x 2
    Panasonic 370 x 1

I'm one step closer. I have ProPresenter installed on our MacBook Pro and I'm connected to the TriCaster 410 via CAT6 and using iVGA. I can see the output of my desktop area on the TriCaster so I'm now trying to figure out how to get ProPresenter's screen output on the TriCaster so the CG Operator can quickly go through the slides and send the correct slide to the TriCaster. I think that's going to be a setup in ProPresenter so I'm sure I can figure that one out but now I need to figure out how to make the output of ProPresenter that is one of my sources now to overlay onto one of my video feed sources. Right now I use the DSK Auto/Take to control the slides within DDR 1/2. Any thoughts?

You would use the drop down on the DSK you want to use and change it from DDR 1/2 to the Input that you have ProPresenter coming in on.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Kane I need you to come live in D.C. for about two months!!! Thanks for assistance.

Tri - also be on the lookout for Jose Burgos on these forums. He trained us, and is another great contact to have.

We use the TriCaster at work, not the church. But we've been driving a 460 for a while now. Although it is the standard edition, not advanced, I would be happy to helpp out as you are learning to navigate the TriCaster and figure out the best way to accomplish things.

Are you using macros yet? They are operational game changers.

Including you in my prayers for tech ministry, brother.
    Tricaster 460
    HD-SDI over coax
    JVC 890 x 2
    Panasonic 370 x 1

My apologies, I just figured out how to get a notification when someone replies to a post. Thanks Paris! Right after I built our video system we started live streaming so I've been so busy that I've not had time to work with macros yet. I work for the government full time and only have time on Sundays to work with the equipment because we operate out of a school so no time to work with equipment during the week. You can check out what we've accomplished so far at www.trygrace.org

I was led to believe that it might not possible to get anything but the main screen out of ProPresenter. If you are having success in getting any screen you want out of ProPresenter, I would love to hear about it. Please let me know.

Meanwhile, I've recommended, (which has not yet been approved for purchase), the following:

Here is the best long term solution for getting worship lyrics to the video switcher, (now and whatever system we get for the future). This system has a genlock input so that it can be sync'd to the video system to exactly match the cameras so there is no latency introduced. This will be good for not just our existing system but any new system we decide to purchase. (All other converters that can't be genlocked to house sync can introduce additional latency to the video switcher which will show up in IMAG.)

There are three parts:

• White Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 Adapter Cable M/M - cable from mac to AJA ROI. It is a 'mini Display Port' on one end that plugs into the 'Thunderbolt' port on the Mac and the other end is a standard 'Display Port'. This would replace the existing 'Thunderbolt' to VGA port cable that connects to the Crestron.
    • AJA's ROI-DP to SDI Mini-Converter. The above cable plugs into this unit, and it has a pass through to connect the Crestron. It also converts the MAC, (or PC), display to SDI which is sent to the video mixer
    • DisplayPort Male to VGA Female. This short cable is used to convert the display port out of the AFA ROI, (part #3 below), to a VGA port that the Crestron is presently using.