Thread: Merge Trigon X - Why wont it work with my particular geometry?

Merge Trigon X - Why wont it work with my particular geometry?

I have some imported geometry from numerous conversions. Brought into LW (v2015.3) that is created with all triangles. Want to use Merge Trigon X like I have always done before but for some reason, this particular set seems immune to the plug in and does nothing and I'm not sure why. Is it the orientation of the triangles? something I can't visibly see? I have an extracted set of the polys for anyone to examine to see if they can determine why the Plugin will not work for the geometry.

Thanks!
    MERGE_TEST.lwo

You might have to merge the points of the imported geometry first before Merge Trigons X works.

Hope it helps
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

Quote Originally Posted by daforum View Post
    You might have to merge the points of the imported geometry first before Merge Trigons X works.

Hope it helps
    points have been merged. not the issue...

...ahh, I see!

Have you opened the Polygon Statistics window to see if there is anything extra lurking on the object?
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

All triangles are discontinuous in the UV map,
    so they can't be merged to avoid UV Map destruction.
    clear the UV Map then it works.

Denis.

Didn't check to see if there was a map included. I knew there had to be something hidden. Many thanks Denis!
    Chris

In the future just use "Merge Triangles" - it's native to LW under Construct/Reduce/Merge Triangles.

Sometimes "Merge Triangles" doesn't work, sometimes Merge Trigon X doesn't work, so if one fails I always try the other. I didn't know about the UV not allowing it to merge, makes sense, good to know.

An issue that I run into with imported files is that often there are polys on many, many layers. This prevents the merge. Only placing all polys that are actually related to each other on a layer with their brothers lets the merge work. Sometimes, I've had to put everything on one layer and separate sections to other layers after the merge.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    An issue that I run into with imported files is that often there are polys on many, many layers. This prevents the merge. Only placing all polys that are actually related to each other on a layer with their brothers lets the merge work. Sometimes, I've had to put everything on one layer and separate sections to other layers after the merge.
    Yes this is what I usually have to do to get it to work.
    Andy Webb

Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10