Thread: Dope Sheet duplicating keyframes instead of moving them

Dope Sheet duplicating keyframes instead of moving them

Hey all.

I have an issue with the Dope Sheet. When I try to move keyframes (Left mouse click and drag) the keyframes are duplicated at the new frame, rather than just moved. Am I doing something wrong?

I watched several videos on the dope sheet and searched online, but have found no solution. I may be doing something wrong. I am fairly new to Lightwave, but not 3D. After using Maya for years, then switching to Cinema 4D for work, I have purchased Lightwave for my personal projects and freelance work from home due to the cost. So far I am fairly happy with it and for the most part have just started using it with minimal need for tutorials. Unfortunately when I do need to look for an answer, there are not many sources online and very little in regards to Lightwave 2015.

Another strange thing with the Scene Editor/Dopesheet, when I go to windows>Sened Editor/Dope Sheet - it opens two instances of the Scene editor. Is this normal?

Another question I have is can anyone point me in the right direction for tips on speeding up render times? I haven't had much luck finding any detailed info on tweeking the settings for renders.

Thanks
    Last edited by duuuh; 09-22-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Unfortunately I don't know the solution to your first problem. Left click and drag on selected keys moves them for me. They don't duplicate and I haven't heard of any one else with this problem. What happens when you hold the option key while you drag? That should be the duplicate key combo.

On your second question yes unfortunately that is how lightwave behaves. To get rid of the extra dope sheets go to the Utilities tab, Master plugins. You will get a window listing the dope sheets and you can select them and remove them. I once had a scene where I had over 20 dope sheets open and I did not know how to get rid of them. To avoid this problem don't use the New Scene/Dope editor command.

Another major annoyance with the dope sheet is that the keyboard short cut to open it will not close it. You end up having your dope sheet hidden behind other windows with no keyboard way to bring it to the front or dismiss it.

As to your last question that's complicated and very dependent on what you have going on in your scene. Could you give more information on what seems to be slowing down your renders?

lertola2
    Thanks for the reply.
    I tried left click option, shift, etc. and still have the duplicating issue. The strange thing is that sometimes it duplicates and very rarely seems to just move the keyframes. I tried reinstalling Lightwave, but had no luck remedying the situation.
    Thanks for the tip on the multiple scene editors - I think I was under the impression that the "New Scene/Dope Editor" command was an updated version not a new instance of the same editor, and the ether menu options were legacy versions of the scene/dope editor

for the rendering, the project I am currently working on only contains a flocking system with 15,000 agents, that have surface hypervoxels applied to them. The shading is very basic and only utilizes the "Basic" tab, plus "color highlights" in the advanced tab - no reflections, refractions or transparency. There is no radiosity and I am only outputting an RGB and a Depth pass to composite the elements in After effects. The render times for this aren't too bad, I just would like to be able to read up on which options to tweak, if any.
    What I am most interested in speeding up render times on is the effects for an indie film I am making. These shots use turbulenceFD for generating smoke. The smoke is colliding with geometry modeled to replicate a room and furniture to match video footage. The geometry has a black shader with no reflection or specularity - for what it is, the render times are not terrible, but any speed up, without noticeable loss of quality would be great.
    I have noticed that using particles to generate the fluids for TurbulenceFD results in much longer render times than using geometry as the smoke source.

Thanks again for your reply

You could use my script ShiftKeysPlus if you just need to quickly move keyframes around.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....-ShiftKeysPlus

Unfortunately I can't find the thread that talked about the 2.0 version. It may have been permanently lost when the forum when down.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by duuuh View Post
    Another strange thing with the Scene Editor/Dopesheet, when I go to windows>Sened Editor/Dope Sheet - it opens two instances of the Scene editor. Is this normal?
    Press ctrl-q to open Layout Master plugins window,
    to see whether you don't have more instances of Dope Sheet added to scene.
    Remove one (RMB to drop-down menu).

I have an issue with the Dope Sheet. When I try to move keyframes (Left mouse click and drag) the keyframes are duplicated at the new frame, rather than just moved. Am I doing something wrong?
    For moving set of keyframes a few frames further, use Graph Editor.

RMB, hold, move mouse, selection rectangle will appear, select keyframes, release buttons. Hold ctrl, LMB drag mouse (don't RMB, as it'll mirror keyframes).
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-23-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies and tips. I'll be sure to check them out

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by ernpchan View Post
    You could use my script ShiftKeysPlus if you just need to quickly move keyframes around.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....-ShiftKeysPlus

Unfortunately I can't find the thread that talked about the 2.0 version. It may have been permanently lost when the forum when down.
    An unsolicited endorsement: YOU SHOULD use ernpchan's script-- it's amazingly powerful and subtle. A colossal bargain!! Be sure to watch the videos to get the full benefits of the script.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Thanks jeric

I found the 2.0 thread. It's not the complete thread but it does talk about some of the features.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....44#post1475244

The change log on my site has all the changes and fixes. If anybody has questions you're welcome to start a new thread in the Third Party section of the forum.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    www.ernestpchan.com
    www.zazzle.com/gopuggo

Newbie Member

Possible solution - fractional keyframe problem.

Quote Originally Posted by duuuh View Post
    Hey all.

I watched several videos on the dope sheet and searched online, but have found no solution. I may be doing something wrong. I am fairly new to Lightwave, but not 3D. After using Maya for years, then switching to Cinema 4D for work, I have purchased Lightwave for my personal projects and freelance work from home due to the cost. So far I am fairly happy with it and for the most part have just started using it with minimal need for tutorials. Unfortunately when I do need to look for an answer, there are not many sources online and very little in regards to Lightwave 2015.

I have just has this problem too (where just LMB duplicates keyframes in the selection rather than moving them).
    What seemed to be my problem was that I had set the frame rate to a non-integer value.

At 29.97, if I created some keyframes, then used to Dope Editor to try move them they would duplicate, not move.
    If I set the frame rate to be 30.0, created some key frames, then used dope editor, they moved just fine!

Functionality could be restored to the old scene by change to an integer frame rate, then using the Grpah editor to snap keys to frames.

Hope this helps someone else and is not a quirk of my setup!