Thread: Car Rigging

Question Car Rigging

Greetings everyone.

I'm trying to set up a car for animation. But i'm having problems in setting up the rigg, expressions etc. Can anyone offer some tips?

Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Talking

Thanks a lot, the plugins are a great help.

car riging is very complicated in lw

i tried to do it with auditt http://rna.hr/auditt/

here are my problems:
    - no variables
    - expression can be only 3 formulas deep (if i remember)
    - gimbal lock
    - control of speed curve

here is a link for setting up wheels
    http://d-mailman.homeip.net/wheel.php

Good Lord! thats some great work there, way over my head! I'm gonna be up all nite Working on this... you have motivated
    me!

Re: Car Rigging

Originally posted by shobi
    Greetings everyone.

I'm trying to set up a car for animation. But i'm having problems in setting up the rigg, expressions etc. Can anyone offer some tips?
    I would look at using Cyclist or Cycler to do much of this.

Question Car Rigging

Happy New Year To all.

What's the best way the rig the steering to the front wheels. so that they all turn at the same time?

And how do I keep my wheels rolling to infinity?

I faced this a while ago, and posted my vehicle rig to the boards. I used expressions, follower, and cyclist for most if it.

you can see the results here:
    http://onthez.com/animation/hummerH2.wmv

and the rig is here:
    http://www.onthez.com/temphosting/vehicle_setup.zip

It will rotate the tires properly, stear the front wheels the correct amount, and keep the tires on rough terrain.

You may just want to pick it apart to see how it can be done, but feel free to use it as is.

Justin
    animator for hire...
    onthez.com

Cool Stuff,
    I love the camera view slimmulating and rigg on the front of the H2. Wicked stuff. It's in my work shop now under the mircoscope.

I've tried numerous of parenting the wheels to steering, so that when i turn the steering on it's bank the wheels will turn on thier heading, tried follower but it's not working. How do I solve this?

Anyone?

jds580s,

Hey cool Hummer animation. Like it.

Cheers,
    JS

If you take a look at the LW scene I linked to, you'll see my solution which I'll quickly outline here:

1. Create a null we'll call "Drive Null" This is what will control the vehicle
    2. parented to Drive Null are nulls in each wheel location.
    3. Create a second null for each front tire but don't parent to the other nulls.
    4. open the motion options for each of these new nulls and add Modifer "Follower" so it follows the corrisponding null that IS parented to the drive null on XYZHB for the front wheels with Align to Path and World Coordinates turned on.
    5. Next add the modifer "Cyclist" using the Pitch. You'll need to make changes to this depending on the size of your tire, but I used Cycle Frames From 0.0 to -30.0 Cycle Controller "Name of the parented front wheel null", Forward Progression, Controller Range From 0.0 to 3.14, End behavior "Repeat", World Coordinates "On", After IK "On"
    You then need to set a keyframe (at -30 in my example) that has the tires rotated 360 degrees to set up what cyclist will be doing.
    6. Parent the front wheel mesh to these nulls, parent the rear wheel meshs to the proper rear wheel nulls that are then parented to the drive null.
    7. Apply the same cyclist method to the rear wheel mesh so they spin also.

There you go.

I hope that was clear.

Justin
    animator for hire...
    onthez.com

About Gimbal Lock (Or Jim's Ball Lock, if you are dirty like me..)

Originally posted by marko

here are my problems:

- gimbal lock
    With Gimbal lock, what you need is a parent which controls just the pitch and bank, while the child just controls the heading. That way, you won't get gimbal lock.

Oh, hey, Spline God! I didn't know you were bald!

Hehe....

Revanto
    ---------------------
    I'm a Mega 3D dude!!!
    ---------------------
    Check out my friend's OLD Youtube tutorials
    Mix Mash's tutes